Warning, warning... Infodump approaching! (760 words)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Jones

Der Vater absurder Geschichten
Supporter
I've just finished a short story (full version is around 8.5K), from which I've taken the following extract - the opening section. I'm pretty pleased with the story itself, but I have one minor(ish) misgiving, which the eagle-eyes among you might have spotted from the thread title.

This opening section contains a very plain and unashamed infodump about the satellite subplot that mirrors the main plot. Is it distracting? Is it hamfisted? Or - shock, horror - is it clear and interesting? Is there another way of doing it? I've thought about it and I can't see how I could do it any other way.

All thoughts welcome. And if you teethy people find anything else worthy of being chomped, please feel free to do so.

The Capture of Jefferson Freeman

“Jefferson, is everything alright?” whispered Ankie.

Jefferson looked up from the text message at her, and then at the gaggle of journalists sitting in the Space Centre’s Media Auditorium, facing them. Ankie put a hand upon his arm and looked concerned. Good old Ankie. “Are you ok?”

“Uh, yes, fine,” he said. He cast his eye over the message again and clenched his jaw, trying to conceal the shudder rippling through him. He slipped the phone back into his pocket and tried to recompose himself, not think about what it said. He pressed his thumb and forefinger into the corners of his eyes and tried to flush his mind. He looked up. The hacks were still staring at him, expectant, hungry. “You’ll have to forgive me,” he said with a tired smile. “It’s been a long, sleepless few nights while we’ve been getting everything ready. I guess in space no-one can hear your alarm clock.” He smiled gamely at the journalists, some of whom raised a sporting chuckle. “Where was I?”

“You were briefing them on the current state of CLADISAT,” said Ankie.

Ah yes. CLADISAT. Sixteen tonnes of dead junk unresponsively orbiting 500 miles above the Earth. The National Space Mission Centre had lost contact with it almost three years ago. Yes, he thought. Concentrate on the satellite. The satellite can’t hurt you. He looked down at his papers, containing the messages the comms team had prepared for him. Having the press in was always a novelty, and he’d never felt comfortable with them. Capturing and deorbiting an uncooperative target the size of a couple of tennis courts tumbling through space at over 17,000 miles per hour was infinitely preferable to this. The TV cameras made him especially nervous, and reminded him this was a big deal.

“CLADISAT has been unresponsive for almost three years now,” he carried on. The thought of the text message needled at him behind his ear.

You owe us.

“Theoretically we could leave it be. If left to its own devices it’d settle back to earth and deorbit naturally after about 180 years.”

You owe us.

“But orbit is so full of manmade junk these days it’s unfeasible that CLADISAT will last those 180 years without having some sort of collision which, at that size and speed, could trigger a chain reaction of other collisions resulting in a cloud of debris that could render further space exploration impossible.”

“The Kessler effect?” said one of the journalists, a cute little blonde with a Dutch accent.

“Very good,” Jefferson smiled. “Someone’s been doing their homework. Where are you from?”

“Dana Harbart, Science Today,” she smiled.

“Well I’m impressed. Want to join my team?”

More murmurs of laughter through the room. He gave a look to Ankie, who seemed more at ease. Maybe he was better at fielding the journalists than he thought.

Tomorrow.

“My team is leading the ENSNAKE mission. The ENSNAKE spacecraft will attempt to grapple, embrace and bring CLADISAT from its orbital position into a safezone, from where it will be towed into a satellite graveyard, away from other operational assets. We are on track for tomorrow’s launch in French Guiana, while the ground mission control team will remain here in Germany.”

“Are there any questions at this stage?” said Ankie, addressing the audience with her kindly smile that creased around the sides of her mouth.

After questions, Ankie took him aside in the coffee lounge and shut the door. “Is anything the matter?”

Ankie had been so lovely to him. Nurtured him almost his entire career, given him this one-in-a-lifetime career opportunity, but all he could think about was the burning in his face. He didn’t want to see her right now. Every time she approached him the hairs on his neck stood up, and he considered fleeing; but he never did, they were the actions of a guilty man. He wasn’t guilty; just desperate. She’d understand. Good old Ankie.

“Nervous?”

He managed a half-smile. “A tad.”

“I’ve known you so long,” she said, placing a soft, papery hand upon his cheek. He hoped his stubble wouldn’t scratch her. “You’ll be fine. You’ll be remembered, Jefferson. Do you know what the most wonderful thing about pushing the boundaries of science is?”

“Ah, the act of discovery?”

She pulled away with a smile and made two cups of coffee at the machine. “It’s that even a failure can be glorious. Whatever happens, you can’t lose.”

His skin felt claggy inside his shirt.

Tomorrow. 7am.

~

tried to recompose himself,
Doesn't sound quite right even if logically true. Just compose is enough?
His skin felt claggy inside his shirt
Claggy?

It doesn't seem excessively info dumpy. Of course I'm familiar with these things and you have some realistic touches, though I'm not sure about the 180 years for a 500 mile up orbit.

Such orbital cleaning robots (remote controlled Waldos probably) are at an advanced stage of development.

The tension between the almost routine kind of briefing and whatever is in the text message is good and makes me want to read more.

Since you broke it with some dialog, it didn't feel like an info dump to me.
The following sentence was a bit hard to read, perhaps it could be simplified a bit : "Capturing and deorbiting an uncooperative target the size of a couple of tennis courts tumbling through space at over 17,000 miles per hour was infinitely preferable to this." Too many big words in one place :)
Also, you tell us that it was unresponsive for 3 years, and then Jefferson says it again, you could remove the first telling to avoid repetition, it would also simplify the text a bit.
Overall, it was iteresting, I would have kept reading!

I really enjoyed every part DG well done nice start to a story and cleverly broken with dialogue so its not infodumpy.

I would just echo ray with the description of claggy skin. its more used to describe rotting or burnt flesh, but that was my only discrepancy. Good work D. Hope you post some more soon! :)

Thanks guys, good to know I'm on the right track with it. Will change claggy.

Ray, 180 years for a natural deorbit of a spacecraft that size and speed is pretty realistic (if unlikely, as Jefferson says).

Last edited:
Jefferson looked up from the text message at her, and then at the gaggle of journalists sitting in the Space Centre’s Media Auditorium, facing them.

Something about the commas tripped up my eye on the first pass through. What if you delete "...facing them" and end the sentence at Auditorium? Is it important to say that the journalists are facing them? Or, you could say he looked at the faces of the journalists sitting in the auditorium.

As for the info-dump, I agree it was brief enough and followed quickly by lots of white space.

“Are there any questions at this stage?” said Ankie, addressing the audience with her kindly smile that creased around the sides of her mouth.

After questions, Ankie took him aside in the coffee lounge and shut the door.

This is the other place where I hit a snag. The scene change was really quick. All the actions whoosh together in one sentence: questions are done, Ankie took him aside, assume they enter the coffee lounge, and she shuts the door. I blinked and missed it. But maybe that's just me?

You could have the bit about Not think about what it said changed to "Don't think about what it says." If you wanted to change the text to inner monologue from telling.

You do need a bit of scene definition between the end of the press conference and the private interview. Perhaps another time for inner observations?

Other then that its quite nice! :)

I was looking at the part Jackie wrote up. Do you think it reads a bit cleaner if you say "olympic pool" or "hockey rink"or "football pitch" instead? Providing a solid visual reference with fewer clunky words to think around so you can absord the next bit quicker?
And that tumble, it's at a rate of 283.334 miles a second? The same as about half the distance between Chicago and New York, or about the distance from London to Edinburgh, every second.

Do you think it reads a bit cleaner if you say "olympic pool" or "hockey rink"or "football pitch" instead? Providing a solid visual reference with fewer clunky words to think around so you can absord the next bit quicker?

Hmm. Interesting. Does it have to be a sporting arena? Perhaps it could be a couple of opera houses, or garden centres? :D Perhaps not. But, I take the point. I'm not averse to changing it, but given the character, do you think he would be quite comfortable thinking in this way? Just being Devil's Advocate...

And that tumble, it's at a rate of 283.334 miles a second? The same as about half the distance between Chicago and New York, or about the distance from London to Edinburgh, every second.

Yep, there you go. At those speeds in space even a frozen fleck of paint can be lethal. And I think the New Horizons probe, the one that just flew by Pluto, was going considerably faster than that!

Why two? This isn't Noah and the Arc, things don't have to come in pairs. With two objects you first visualize one of them and then you have to double it. Why not one object to visualize?
I tell you there is an object the size of Buckingham Palace coming towards you, or I tell you there is an object the size of twenty-seven buses coming towards you. Which image visualizes faster for relative size? (Or relative threat? :D)

If you want the Americanization, you could say "the Empire State Building" or "the Statue of Liberty" or even, "the Whitehouse".

Remember in the movie Armagedon when the scientist is trying to explain how big the asteroid is and starts talking so many square kilometers? and then Billy Bob Thorton cuts in and says succinctly, "Its the size of Texas."? Clear visual given with brevity and clarity. That is what you are aiming for in description, DG. Solid images that can be quickly processed.

Minor confusion with a couple of sentences is all.

Jefferson looked up from the text message (at her, and then) at the gaggle of journalists sitting in the Space Centre’s Media Auditorium, (facing them). Ankie put (her) hand (up)on his arm and looked concerned. Good old Ankie. “Are you ok?” < (Who says this?)

'flush his mind' is a bit open to interpretation..... ) Refering to journalists as 'hacks' may give pause to certain readers. (Hack, hack.... ):D

I agree the 2nd para dialogue should be a third para.
17000 mph about 5 miles per sec. 283 miles per sec will take you right out of orbit. Even New Horizons is only doing about 10 or 11 miles per sec.

You may want to read up on escape velocity.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_velocity

If it goes faster than escape velocity; it will escape. And thereby take care of itself as far as dangerous debris.

I think we are talking of LEO so check these out too
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_Earth_orbit

http://www.quora.com/How-fast-at-the-maximum-speed-can-you-orbit-in-LEO

this is in reference to 283.334 mi sec
283.334 mi sec = 17000.04 mi min = 1020002.4 mi hr

that might get solar escape velocity.

Last edited:
Just a thought - goes along with more vivid imagery. After the cute journalist mentions the Kessler effect, or perhaps before to retain the natural dialogue between Jefferson and her, you may want to consider adding an analogy of the type of collision they could expect. These are journalists and they want sensationalism, something they could use for a catchy title. You make it clear Jefferson is not comfortable in this situation but then you mention he "gamely" makes a joke even while his mind is on the text message. He handles the conversation with the female reporter glibly - not quite the actions of someone inexperienced in press conferences. So since I assume he's done this before, the idea he'd explain the collision to highlight the danger and importance of their task could be considered a good play on his part or just his own natural personality since you already have him describing the satellite as two tennis courts (I also agree make this one big thing, not two little things - easier to imagine).

All that being said I really liked this, the info dump was not intrusive or distracting. You already know about the scene change - the only thing I add a bit different than others is a description of what a major collision could be compared to, i.e. "10 car pileup shutting down a highway for a day, except this would shut down space travel indefinitely." Something like that.

Jefferson looked up from the text message stared at her, and then at the gaggle of journalists sitting in the Space Centre’s Media Auditorium (no comma needed I feel) facing them. Ankie put a hand upon his arm and looked concerned. Good old Ankie. “Are you ok?” – Looked repeated in the opening section and a missing action for me.

“Uh, yes, fine,” he said. He cast his eye over the message again and clenched his jaw, trying to conceal the shudder rippling (two very different actions here and one description would have been better for me) through him. He slipped the phone back into his pocket and tried to recompose himself and (I suspect a comma splice) not think about what it said. He pressed his thumb and forefinger into the corners of his eyes and tried to clear/flush his mind. He looked (more looking) up. The hacks were still staring at him, expectant, hungry. “You’ll have to forgive me,” he said, with a tired smile. “It’s been a long, sleepless few nights while we’ve been getting everything ready. I guess in space no-one can hear your alarm clock.” He smiled gamely at the journalists, some of whom raised a sporting chuckle. “Where was I?”

Ah yes. CLADISAT. Sixteen tonnes of dead junk unresponsively orbiting 500 miles above the Earth. The National Space Mission Centre had lost contact with it almost three years ago. Yes, he thought. Concentrate on the satellite. The satellite can’t hurt you. He looked down at his papers, containing the messages the comms team had prepared for him. Having the press in was always a novelty (no comma needed I felt) and he’d never felt comfortable with them. Capturing and deorbiting an uncooperative target the size of a couple of tennis courts tumbling through space at over 17,000 miles per hour was infinitely preferable to this. The TV cameras made him especially nervous (no comma again and there really was no pause here) and reminded him this was a big deal.

“CLADISAT has been unresponsive for almost three years now,” he carried on. The thought of the text message needled at him behind his ear. – EAR??? The speech and text message worries are melting into each other for me and there is a loss of clarity here.
You owe us.

“Theoretically we could leave it be. If left to its own devices it’d settle back to earth and deorbit naturally after about 180 years.”

You owe us.
Better managed here, well done.

“But orbit is so full of manmade junk these days it’s unfeasible that CLADISAT will last those 180 years without having some sort of collision, which, at that size and speed, could trigger a chain reaction of other collisions resulting in a cloud of debris that could render further space exploration impossible.” – OK, a little long winded this time.

“The Kessler effect?” said one of the journalists, (I’m 50:50 on this comma) a cute little blonde with a Dutch accent.

“Very good.” This felt like a full stop moment here. Jefferson smiled. “Someone’s been doing their homework. Where are you from?”

“Dana Harbart, Science Today,” she smiled. – This is nice tight writing but your missing opportunities to add in extras. - “Dana Harbart, Science Today,” she smiled and pushed blonde hair back into place.

More murmurs of laughter through the room. He gave a look (another look!) to Ankie, who seemed more at ease. Maybe he was better at fielding the journalists than he thought.

Tomorrow.

“My team is leading the ENSNAKE mission. The ENSNAKE spacecraft will attempt to grapple, embrace and bring CLADISAT from its orbital position into a safezone, (a very long line and could use a full stop somewhere) from where it will be towed into a satellite graveyard, away from other operational assets (is there such a place? I don’t think there is such a place, but if there is post a link, I’d like to learn more). We are on track for tomorrow’s launch in French Guiana, while the ground mission control team will remain here in Germany.”

“Are there any questions at this stage?” said Ankie, addressing the audience with her kindly smile that creased around the sides of her mouth. - We know she is addressing the audience so a bit of a repeat I felt. Go straight to the smile I’d say.

After questions, Ankie took him aside in the coffee lounge and shut the door. “Is anything the matter?”

Ankie had been so lovely to him. Nurtured him almost his entire career, given him this one-in-a-lifetime career opportunity, but all he could think about was the burning in his face. He didn’t want to see her right now. Every time she approached him the hairs on his neck stood up, and he considered fleeing; but he never did, they were the actions of a guilty man. He wasn’t guilty; just desperate. She’d understand. Good old Ankie. – Too long and not adding any value for me. The right idea, but keep it short and to the point.

“Nervous?”

“I’ve known you so long,” she said, placing a soft, papery hand upon his cheek. He hoped his stubble wouldn’t scratch her. “You’ll be fine. You’ll be remembered, Jefferson. Do you know what the most wonderful thing about pushing the boundaries of science is?”

She pulled away with a smile and made two cups of coffee at the machine (a sudden movement and action after rubbing his cheek). “It’s that even a failure can be glorious. Whatever happens, you can’t lose.”

His skin felt claggy inside his shirt. - Claggy???

Tomorrow. 7am.

Good stuff. The character development carried me along nicely and it is tidy work. I felt it still needs to be tighter and I think you can assume SciFi fans can handle orbit information easily and quickly. Always assume your reader is clever like you, which I didn’t get here. If you’d made this assumption then most of the info dumping would not be needed, that simple in my view. You’ve not told me anything I couldn’t get from google in a heartbeat. With that in mind, I think modern writing can give enough hints for a reader to know what you are on about, but leave additional info dumping to google. Stay with the character, stay with the tension and keep it real and you can’t go wrong. So while I liked the writing and it was well handled, the premise is all wrong. Trust your reader to know enough that they can keep up with you, do that, and you won’t need most of this scene.

A little more focus on detail, setting and emotions would add depth to your writing I think. A little more clarity is needed – using two descriptions that clashed and the ear thing that confused me, character actions/settings etc. These are small details, but these are the details that trip up a reader and lose a reader.

Anyway, as I said, good stuff. Watch those small details more and you’ll rock.

Ooh, I haven't mauled this yet.... :D

Jefferson looked up from the text message at her, and then at the gaggle of journalists sitting in the Space Centre’s Media Auditorium, facing them. Ankie put a hand upon his arm and looked concerned So, then, how does that look? Head cocked, leaning in a little, eyes squinted and close. Good old Ankie. “Are you ok?”

“Uh, yes, fine,” he said. He cast his eye over the message againThis irks me a lot - he knows what it said, we're in his pov. To hide it is being all author-ly and clever and leaving me out of the hoop. I hate that. and clenched his jaw, trying to conceal the shudder rippling through him. He slipped the phone back into his pocket and tried to recompose himself, not think about what it said. He pressed his thumb and forefinger into the corners of his eyes and trieddoing a lot of trying... to flush his mind. He looked up. The hacks were still staring at him, expectant, hungry. “You’ll have to forgive me,” he said with a tired smile. “It’s been a long, sleepless few nights while we’ve been getting everything ready. I guess in space no-one can hear your alarm clock.” He smiled gamely at the journalists, some of whom raised a sporting chucklenice. “Where was I?”

Ah yes. CLADISAT. Sixteen tonnes of dead junk unresponsively orbiting 500 miles above the Earth. The National Space Mission Centre had lost contact with it almost three years ago. Yes, he thought. Concentrate on the satellite. The satellite can’t hurt you. He looked down at his papers, containing the messages the comms team had prepared for him. Having the press in was always a novelty, and he’d never felt comfortable with them. Capturing and deorbiting an uncooperative target the size of a couple of tennis courts tumbling through space at over 17,000 miles per hour was infinitely preferable to this. The TV cameras made him especially nervous, and reminded him this was a big deal.It is an info dump. I can live with it.

“CLADISAT has been unresponsive for almost three years now,” he carried on. The thought of the text message needled at him behind his ear.aaarrrrggggghhhh. Honestly, I'd put it back on the shelf about now. ;)

You owe us.

You owe us.

“But orbit is so full of manmade junk these days it’s unfeasible that CLADISAT will last those 180 years without having some sort of collision which, at that size and speed, could trigger a chain reaction of other collisions resulting in a cloud of debris that could render further space exploration impossible.”

“The Kessler effect?” said one of the journalists, a cute little blonde with a Dutch accent.

“Very good,” Jefferson smiled. “Someone’s been doing their homework. Where are you from?”

“Dana Harbart, Science Today,” she smiled.

More murmurs of laughter through the room. He gave a look to Ankie, who seemed more at ease. Maybe he was better at fielding the journalists than he thought.Actually, he's obviously good at it and I can't believe he doesn't know it really. Most people who are good at things do secretly know.

Tomorrow.

“My team is leading the ENSNAKE mission. The ENSNAKE spacecraft will attempt to grapple, embrace and bring CLADISAT from its orbital position into a safezone, from where it will be towed into a satellite graveyard, away from other operational assets. We are on track for tomorrow’s launch in French Guiana, while the ground mission control team will remain here in Germany.”

After questionsBlink. that took me out. Maybe continue the action for a moment - Ankie fielded a couple, and then took him aside...? , Ankie took him aside in the coffee lounge and shut the door. “Is anything the matter?”

Ankie had been so lovely to him. Nurtured him almost his entire career, given him this oneonce-in-a-lifetime career opportunity, but all he could think about was the burning in his face. He didn’t want to see her right now. Every time she approached him the hairs on his neck stood up, and he considered fleeing; but he never did, they were the actions of a guilty man. Um, all rather out of the blue. I think I'd like the transition to be a little smoother. He wasn’t guilty; just desperate. She’d understand. Good old Ankie.

“Nervous?”

She pulled away with a smile and made two cups of coffee at the machine. “It’s that even a failure can be glorious. Whatever happens, you can’t lose.”

His skin felt claggy inside his shirt.

Tomorrow. 7am.

~

I thought it was good and pretty clean. The info dump didn't bother me. Hiding the text message from me did. A lot. I might have mentioned it in passing. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back