Nuances of English: Proper Titles

prokopton

Science fiction fantasy
Let's look at three major publishers with well-educated editorial staffs.

1. ForbesDOTcom
2. NewsDOTcom
3. PopularMechanicsDOTcom

1. Forbes uses "This Is A Title Between Or Maybe In Another Title." It capitalizes every word in the title, even a determiner/article and conjunction.

2. News, owned by CBS, uses "This is a title between or maybe in another title." It doesn't capitalize any word unless it's a proper noun.

3. Popular Mechanics uses "This Is a Title Between/between or Maybe in Another Title." It uses the traditional convention.

These differences in style affect how headings and even titles are used in books.

Does anyone know the reason for the schism?

While we're at it, is "staff" or "staffs" the correct noun? :whistle:

While we're at it, is "staff" or "staffs" the correct noun? :whistle:

As you used it above, you're referring to more than one staff, so staffs would be correct.

For the rest of your question, I have no idea why there are so many styles -- everyone wants to be unique, I suppose. :D But as Brian says, book titles tend to be a lot less varied, I think.

I would say that nearly all book titles (front covers) use the standard convention. A few artistic titles use all lowercase and other expressive styles that deviate from the standard but are accepted.

I should have been more specific. For chapter titles and headings inside a non-fiction book, I've seen different styles used. I prefer the NewsDOTcom style.

If you're continuing to self-publish, then it's up to you which form you use. There are aesthetic differences between the different styles, and different fonts might make one or another preferable, so experiment. The use of lower case throughout, ie with no caps even for the first words and proper nouns, can in some cases appear more attractive and therefore better for the work, or at least show a certain lack of conventionality which might be important to the message (ee cummings certainly thought so).

I'd suggest that whatever style you choose make sure you are consistent. Some people get riled if they see inconsistences, which will be put down to sloppy proof-reading rather than deliberate change.

If you're continuing to self-publish, then it's up to you which form you use. There are aesthetic differences between the different styles, and different fonts might make one or another preferable, so experiment. The use of lower case throughout, ie with no caps even for the first words and proper nouns, can in some cases appear more attractive and therefore better for the work, or at least show a certain lack of conventionality which might be important to the message (ee cummings certainly thought so).

I'd suggest that whatever style you choose make sure you are consistent. Some people get riled if they see inconsistences, which will be put down to sloppy proof-reading rather than deliberate change.
Judge, I'd give you 10 likes if I could. :D