Marvel's Daredevil Post-Series 1 Analysis/Questions - SPOILIERS

Moonbat

Chuckle Churner
I thought I'd start a new thread as I kept wanting to ask questions about the series as I was watching it but I didn't want to ruin it for anyone who hasn't watched it all yet. We finished the final episode tonight.

So the obligatory

SPOILERS follow
SPOILERS honestly
FULL ON RUIN IT SPOILERS
I really loved this, and I agree with Lenny that the restraint shown by the writers to only call Matt daredevil in the last episode was great. It is almost as if this is an origin series, rather than an origin film.

I have some Daredevil questions for our resident Comic book aficionados (I'm looking at you Perp)

Is Vanessa in the comics? Does she have a roll beyond Wilson's lover?

I wondered if Stick is also a character in the comics? Is he Matt's trainer?
Also we see a glimpse of someone Stick reports to, am I right in thinking this could be Craven the hunter?
And finally Madame Gao, who is she? Is she a character from the comics? I loved it when she hit Matt and sent him flying, and was there a little hint that she isn't from Earth? She says she is going home (or back where she belongs) and Owlsley says 'China?' and she says much further, there aren't many places further away from the US than China is she an Alien?

Ooh, it was a great series and so much more potential to come, although as my wife pointed out sometimes the Origin stories are the best bit and when they get into fighting new villains and ever more preposterous situations it gets a bit stale, great fun for comics but can sometimes lose the story.

From what I remember, Stick is in the comics, and trained Matt after he was blinded. I haven't read many comics, but have looked at a few of the Daredevil ones.

Certainly in the cartoons (I am remembering the 'Sins of the Fathers' set (which had a Spiderman vs Daredevil episode) in the Spiderman - The animated series cartons I watched as a boy), Daredevil was trained by Stick in some flashbacks.

I thought I'd start a new thread as I kept wanting to ask questions about the series as I was watching it but I didn't want to ruin it for anyone who hasn't watched it all yet. We finished the final episode tonight.

So the obligatory

SPOILERS follow
SPOILERS honestly
FULL ON RUIN IT SPOILERS
I really loved this, and I agree with Lenny that the restraint shown by the writers to only call Matt daredevil in the last episode was great. It is almost as if this is an origin series, rather than an origin film.

I have some Daredevil questions for our resident Comic book aficionados (I'm looking at you Perp)

:D

Is Vanessa in the comics? Does she have a roll beyond Wilson's lover?

Yes. She is his wife and they have been married for a lot longer time than appears in the series. (They have cast her beautifully though). She is a broken woman though, driven insane by what she has had to live through (although I believe that changes over time). Fisk keeps her safe in a special institute in Europe. In many ways it looks as though they have split this between Vanessa and Kingpin's mother in the series. Vanessa and Fisk also have a son in the comics...

I wondered if Stick is also a character in the comics? Is he Matt's trainer?

As Dekket has answered Stick is indeed in the comics, the strongest appearance and best is probably in the Man Without Fear Limited Series.
The TV show draws heavily on that (and the Kingpin limited series)

Also we see a glimpse of someone Stick reports to, am I right in thinking this could be Craven the hunter?

Probably not. Kraven is predominantly a Spider-man foe so will be part of the package that Sony licenses from Marvel. That does not mean that now the deal has been struck they might not be able to use him. And put Ben Urich in his rightful place as a writer for the Daily Bugle. Ah, one small problem there....

And finally Madame Gao, who is she? Is she a character from the comics? I loved it when she hit Matt and sent him flying, and was there a little hint that she isn't from Earth? She says she is going home (or back where she belongs) and Owlsley says 'China?' and she says much further, there aren't many places further away from the US than China is she an Alien?

Madame Gao is the odd one. She does not appear in the comics. Although there might be a character with a similar name. Idle speculation taking into her account her lovetap to Daredevil and her comment to Owlsley is that she might be a link to the 'to come' series from Netflix Iron Fist. In the comics Daniel Rand (Iron Fist) is trained in matial arts in a mystical land called K'un-L'un, an extra dimensional place. It might well be that she comes from there.

Ooh, it was a great series and so much more potential to come, although as my wife pointed out sometimes the Origin stories are the best bit and when they get into fighting new villains and ever more preposterous situations it gets a bit stale, great fun for comics but can sometimes lose the story.

I had to do a little digging to sort this out.

There is a scene in The Man Without Fear Ltd Series/Graphic Novel that sees Stick reporting back to someone, it is almost identical to that which appeared on TV, including the reference to the Greek girl. (This is Elektra).

In the comics Stick is an agent of the group The Chaste who are something like The Hand - only supposedly pure. Stick's mission is to seek out new members for the group, evaluate and decide whether they can be inducted. Elektra is rejected on the grounds she has let darkness into her soul. Matt is a little more nebulous, and the way it is played on TV my impression was that he was protecting him in someway.

(In the comics Stick also worked with Wolverine, training him to some degree, but certainly bringing him out of his them feral state.) Just a little fact true-believers.