iZombie

I do wonder that these zombies seem to have the correct body temperature, that they are not decomposing, stinking, and dropping parts all over, or even attracting vultures. :ROFLMAO:

Don't overthink it. It's only a TV show after all.o_O But admittedly a far cry from Night of the Living Dead, which was, as we all know, a paragon of reality!;) But I agree that the tongue firmly planted in cheek humor is one of the big assets for iZombie.

Don't overthink it. It's only a TV show after all.o_O But admittedly a far cry from Night of the Living Dead, which was, as we all know, a paragon of reality!;) But I agree that the tongue firmly planted in cheek humor is one of the big assets for iZombie.
Everybody knows what to expect from George Romero-style zombies – aimlessly doing the living dead shuffle, moaning their mindless zombie songs, unable to open a simple door, motivated by the single purpose of feasting on live creatures. The only way to stop them permanently is to destroy their brains (which does call into question their need to feed, as starvation will not put them down).

Liv Moore (her name is a succinct summary of her condition) is a very different type of zombie – not quite living, but not quite dead – a paler, ash blonde version of her former self. She walks, she talks, she eats. I like to think of the zombie characters in iZombie as the dead living, rather than the traditional living dead.

Plenty of room in the television spectrum for a zombie show that makes you chuckle; not that I'll ever stop watching The Walking Dead.

Erp. Poor Liv! First Major vows to kill all zombies, then Peyton sees Full Zombie and freaks, and now Liv has the news about POW Major and her brother the brain courier to look forward to!

Might be a bit of a push to fit it in the last episode, but what odds can I get on Blaine turning Major, Ravi finding a cure (a single dose, mind - his supplies of tainted Utopium are running low), and Liv giving it up to save Major, thus locking down her character for the second series?

Erp. Poor Liv! First Major vows to kill all zombies, then Peyton sees Full Zombie and freaks, and now Liv has the news about POW Major and her brother the brain courier to look forward to!

Might be a bit of a push to fit it in the last episode, but what odds can I get on Blaine turning Major, Ravi finding a cure (a single dose, mind - his supplies of tainted Utopium are running low), and Liv giving it up to save Major, thus locking down her character for the second series?

In the Irony Department, last week's show was heavy on the humor-to-drama mix and so when this show started with cheerleader Buf-- er, Liv, and stoner Liv and was playing the humor up, I thought this episode was too funny, especially for two in a row. By the time it was over, it wasn't funny at all any more. But they segued well. And, yeah, all the brains really hit the fan in this episode - the zombie fight with Peyton in the box seats was intense. And Liv lost half her pieces and Blaine has two of them in turn. Really excellent episode.

In the other kind of irony department, though, this excellent episode did make me think of a couple of minor imperfections. Liv's mom and brother either need to guest more or less. They either need to guest so rarely that it's more like a token "she has a family" and their showing up is an event or have them guest more often so that they actually seem a part of things. As is, they just seem random and convenient and don't fit in well. And, slightly bigger: when Liv became a zombie, she quit her job, broke up with her boyfriend, and... moved out of her place and stopped seeing her friend. Right? But, no. Why does she still live with Peyton? It must have made the change even more awkward, Liv runs the risk of having her get bonked on the head or seeing Liv kill bad zombies in the kitchen, and all it takes is a scratch while messing around with the curling iron and we'd have zombie Peyton. So it would have made sense for her to get away from Peyton, too.

But no big deal - I'd rather have Peyton around (assuming she ever comes back).

As far as your season finale idea, it sounds really good. But I thought the Utopium was to create the zombie condition and wouldn't necessarily be required in the cure, itself. If that's the case, it wouldn't work to limit the cure. And that's another thing I wish they'd put on the backburner (said this before, I think) - naturally, Liv having "hope" is good and the cure gives Ravi something specific to do but it would end the show so while I want Liv to be cured and live happily ever after in theory, I hope she can't be cured for several seasons in practice ;) and they can't string something this front-and-center out for that long. Anyway - we'll see. With or without your scenario, they've got a lot to do in one episode to avoid making the summer hiatus even more brutal than it otherwise would be. Need to get to some decent stopping place quick.

Need to get to some decent stopping place quick.
Oh, I doubt if it will be decent.;) They need to be sure we come back to watch next season. I predict something of a cliff-hanger.

Taking on the partial personalities of two victims in one episode might be a stretch for Rose McIver, but she certainly seems up to it.

Why, in a long shot, in a certain light, I do believe she could even pass as a cheerleader from Sunnydale High.

As Col. John “Hannibal” Smith was so fond of saying, “I love it when a plan comes together.” Can all of the first season story arcs be neatly tied together in the finale?

Seems like the best development would be for Major to get the upper hand, kill Blaine (now that he knows all about zombies from his internet research), thereby saving himself and Liv's little brother.

This seems like an unlikely scenario. Blaine has so consistently been one or more steps ahead of the other characters throughout season one, that I have come to suspect David Anders is the only cast member reading the entire script.

Ooo, so close! My second choice would have been Liv curing Blaine, but I didn't write it down, sooo...

But hey, Ravi found a cure, which was a single dose (two, at a stretch) as his supplies of tainted Utopium are running low, Liv gave it up to save Major (first to save Major and everyone in the city, and then to actually save Major!), and Major was turned! And most interesting of all, it wasn't too much of a push to fit it all in the episode.

Sucks to be Liv's brother right now. That irony, huh...

EDIT: Thinking on it, the Utopium probably isn't needed to synthesise a cure, but, as the virus has been shown to not cross species, the tainted Utopium is the only way Ravi can make more zombie rats (unless he sets up some kind of puppeteering rig, with which he can make zombie rat prime scratch other rats without killing them).

Last edited:
In the season finale, there was one thing I really do not understand, involving the Japanese cop:
Why did he shoot himself in the leg, since he was intending to die in the explosion? Have I overlooked something? :giggle:

Moreover, was this a season finale, or a series finale? It seems everything is wrapped-up, or resolved.

In the season finale, there was one thing I really do not understand, involving the Japanese cop:
Why did he shoot himself in the leg, since he was intending to die in the explosion? Have I overlooked something? :giggle:

Moreover, was this a season finale, or a series finale? It seems everything is wrapped-up, or resolved.

If he was basically cremated and didn't knick the bone, I don't know that there could have been a reason but, assuming he assumed the wound was still identifiable, maybe he was trying to demonstrate that he'd been in the firefight and the wound would explain why he couldn't escape the fire. I don't know - I hadn't thought about it and it doesn't make much sense. One of those things where, when he shoots himself it makes sense and when he dies it makes sense but, yeah, then it undoes the sense of shooting himself if you go back to it.

As far as the type of finale, I noticed the CW say "finale" and I said, "season finale" (yet another parallel with Buffy at the end of season five) because that's important. :) The show has been renewed and will air this fall as an intended full 22-ep season (I don't know if they've actually picked it up for all 22 or just the usual 13 with an expectation of picking up the back 9.) It's not all wrapped up at all, to me. We have to bring the Wings guy down (Max Rager). We have to cure the world (and Liv) of zombieism. We have to see if Liv's brother dies. Peyton has to come back and deal. One of these days, Clive is going to find out since everyone else except family knows about Liv now. And how does Major deal? And we'll always have crimes of the week to solve as long as Liv is still able to.

On the ep - yep, close, Lenny. And I was right about it being a busy episode (no swami powers needed there) but this was a really busy episode. I don't actually approve of one aspect of it - it doesn't seem Liv would be so tempted to take a dose for herself. Curing Blaine doesn't seem like a good plan, either. While it does seem like she would zombify Major in extremis, it also doesn't seem like she'd sacrifice the world for him. Or maybe I'm mixing her up with with someone else. But otherwise, this was pretty fun and good and I liked the way they finally made Major's efforts pay off, even if - as Blaine pointed out - it's not too serious. I am glad this long season of all TV is over (the iZombie part was short, but extended it after everything else had finale'd) but I look forward to next season. :)

Season finale: Blaine's World
I guess, when you're granted a second season early enough, you don't feel any strong need to really wrap up story arcs.

I couldn't believe that Liv passed on a second attempt to put Blaine down. Gun literally to his head, Blaine convinced Liv that his continued existence was the only thing standing in the way of a zombie apocalypse. Really?

I would not have bought that line of logic; nor am I sure what Liv hoped to accomplish by injecting Blaine with the last dose of experimental zombie cure. Having administered the second-to-the-last dose to Major, she already had a guinea pig. Why two?

What will they do with Blaine if he reverts back to full-blooded human? He'll still be an a-hole.

Major being saved by a loving zombie scratch from Liv seemed like a good way to end the season – star-crossed lovers reunited in zombiehood. But, no! Next season Major will be an angry human (probably), and Liv will still be a melancholy zombie. The only change there will be that Major knows, so he will join Peyton in the Totally Mad at Liv for Lying Club.

I admired Major's clever escape from the meat locker, getting his arsenal from his car and returning to the scene as a Terminator. He got them all, even Crazy Lunch Lady after letting her slide – except for Blaine. Serious oversight, Major.

Even Max Rager will go on, at least according to CEO Vaughn Du Clark. I loved his rationale for moving from pharmaceuticals to energy drinks. thereby avoiding all that troublesome government regulation. No need to mention that side-effects might include becoming a zombie.

Despite so little about the finale being final, I still enjoyed the episode.

Liv as the “snarky little bitch,” Teresa, was a hoot. Best segment caption: “Bloodbath and Beyond.”

I'm looking forward to season two.

If he was basically cremated and didn't knick the bone, I don't know that there could have been a reason but, assuming he assumed the wound was still identifiable, maybe he was trying to demonstrate that he'd been in the firefight and the wound would explain why he couldn't escape the fire. I don't know - I hadn't thought about it and it doesn't make much sense. One of those things where, when he shoots himself it makes sense and when he dies it makes sense but, yeah, then it undoes the sense of shooting himself if you go back to it. :)

As far as the leg shot goes, it should be obvious that it was self-inflicted; so, perhaps, assuming at that time he intended to survive-- after thinking about that fact, he decides all is lost. But, that seems too much to believe. Script writers make characters to stupid things. :D

Huh. Did not realise that the Veronica Mars people were behind iZombie!

First time I've heard Rose McIver's natural accent, and man, is she a fast speaker.

First time I've heard Rose McIver's natural accent, and man, is she a fast speaker.

Yeah, I first realized that she had a different accent when I noticed them running promos where she'd say something like "I'm Rose McIver and here are scenes from next week's episode" on the CW (at which point I'd turn it off because I want to see next week's episode and not scenes from it) and it just magnified my respect for her even more. There are a lot of non-American actors using American accents on US TV and they usually sound like they're from Kansas or something except (and?) really stiff - they have a hard time whispering or shouting, and especially going from one to the other quickly. She has a really natural-sounding flexible American accent and can emote however she needs and it seems effortless. It seems really hard to me to be a good actor but to be acting in an assumed accent just raises the bar that much more.

Cool. Thanks for the link. One of the freshest (no pun intended) new shows around.

You're welcome - and agreed. :)

iZombie 2.01Grumpy Old Liv

I'm two episodes behind for my favorite new show of last season. The series didn't lose any of its zip or witty writing between seasons.

Favorite quote of this episode: "His pants are hanging so low, they look like a bra for his *ss."

I really liked these 1st 2 episodes! Just enough humor to lighten the mood of a show about a zombie Medical Examiner.

2.02 Zombie Bro

This series features so much humorous dialog that I tend to forget each episode begins with a murder. Dramatic moments injected at strategic points bring a nice balance.

This time around -- Liv as a frat bro; Ravi on Utopium at a club. LOL stuff.

Favorite quote of the episode: Liv: "Beer pong! Time to get your balls wet, bros!"

Enjoying season Two. Good characters, clever stories. But the highlight, of course is lead character Liv, played by Kiwi Rose McIver. She can be a virtual chameleon.

Back