Gaunts Ghosts

Eradius Lore

Science fiction fantasy
has anybody heard of the books by dan abnett called gaunts ghosts, it potrays a group of elite commandos of the tanith first fighting against the likes of the archenemy and other such evil forces. taken to battle by the heroic commisar-colonal ibram gaunt, the tanith first kicks chaos but

click on the badge for more info​

The Gaunt books Some of best military since fiction books I've ever read .(y) I would put them in the same category as Gordon Dickson's Dorsai book, Drakes Hammer Slammer, Weber's Honor Harrington , Heinlein's Starship Troopers, John Steakly's Armor .

Yes: they're in the Warhammer 40k series. I've heard good things. I read one, Only In Death, which was a sort of war story with a ghost story subplot. I thought it was pretty entertaining. It reminded me of David Gunn's Death's Head, without the sex and swearing.

Yes: they're in the Warhammer 40k series. I've heard good things. I read one, Only In Death, which was a sort of war story with a ghost story subplot. I thought it was pretty entertaining. It reminded me of David Gunn's Death's Head, without the sex and swearing.

I picked up the series out of curiosity , I expected not to like it as much as I did. It's a very gritty series, well written, war is unrelenting unending hell. The Character fighting and dying in this series are flawed and very believable.

I think Abnett manages to make the caricatured, hugely OTT grimdark of the setting into something more credible. There's something there as well as endless gunfights, a sense of characters and social structure , and that makes it much more realistic than it would be otherwise.

Gaunt would make a good tv series, in the vein Band of Brothers.

Abnett really knows how to write great characters.

Of the Gaunts Ghosts series, my favourite is Necropolis.

When does the next omnibus come out?

A good question. They are reissuing the series one book at a time.

I must confess that i would like to go back and get the hardback versions.

I do wish Ibrahim Gaunt, Gregor Eisenhorn and Caiphis Cain could have all been in the she era. It would have been fun to have them run into each other. :)

Maybe a Warhammer animated tv series?:)

They're not. The Black Library has abandoned the omnibus format and is now reissuing the novels as very expensive single volumes.

More than a few fans are quite annoyed by this, especially because the newest two volumes (where weren't in an omnibus) have gone out of print, despite this being one of the biggest-selling military SF series in the world.

Black Library and their owners, Games Workshop, have gone completely crazy recently. They don't have a clue what they're doing.

I did indeed! It was Straken, a novel about Colonel Straken of the Imperial Guard. I enjoyed doing it, and it was definitely an interesting experience to write for someone else. Things have changed at Games Workshop over the year, and I've moved onto other projects. Straken is available in hardback and for download, but I'm not sure if any when it's coming out in paperback.

I would say that Dan Abnett is in an interesting and unique situation: he's so firmly established as a writer in the 40k world that his books probably won't change in style unless he wants them to, which I suppose is a way of saying that he can do things that less-established writers wouldn't be allowed to do. But I suppose that doesn't really related to Black Library's way of releasing his books.

They're not. The Black Library has abandoned the omnibus format and is now reissuing the novels as very expensive single volumes.

More than a few fans are quite annoyed by this, especially because the newest two volumes (where weren't in an omnibus) have gone out of print, despite this being one of the biggest-selling military SF series in the world.

Black Library and their owners, Games Workshop, have gone completely crazy recently. They don't have a clue what they're doing.

Im very disappointed by this . I liked the omnibus formats, got to read a lot of books that way .

I did indeed! It was Straken, a novel about Colonel Straken of the Imperial Guard. I enjoyed doing it, and it was definitely an interesting experience to write for someone else. Things have changed at Games Workshop over the year, and I've moved onto other projects. Straken is available in hardback and for download, but I'm not sure if any when it's coming out in paperback.

I would say that Dan Abnett is in an interesting and unique situation: he's so firmly established as a writer in the 40k world that his books probably won't change in style unless he wants them to, which I suppose is a way of saying that he can do things that less-established writers wouldn't be allowed to do. But I suppose that doesn't really related to Black Library's way of releasing his books.

Why isn't Straken available in the states?:unsure: