Fantasy that isn't fantasy, but ... um, is anyway.

Teresa Edgerton

Goblin Princess
Staff member
Supporter
I'm thinking about books that haven't the tiniest bit of magic or the supernatural or a single mythical beast, no time-travel, but which I (and many others) would identify as fantasy because it takes place in an alternate reality. Not alternate history, or anything identified as happening in our future, but a place with its own history, geography, culture(s), etc, and therefore a story that could not possibly happen in our world because ... well, there is no place or time for it to happen.

This would not not include stories of low magic, or stories that would fit this category except for this one little thing -- I mean no magic of any kind, no supernatural intervention, not so much as the breath of a dragon.

What started me thinking was a YA novel I was reading yesterday, The Winner's Curse. At one point I thought that the main character's ability to tell when someone was lying to her or trying to cheat her might turn out to be some sort of magical gift, but by the end, when she had missed several outstandingly important lies and deceits, I decided she must simply have some good instincts, most of the time. But I still feel the book is fantasy because of the setting, an imaginary country in an imaginary empire in a world whose geography does not appear to match any part of our own. (As an aside, this book seems to fit in with "Teresa's Curse," in that it seems that recently everything I particularly like turns out to be the first book in a new trilogy, with the next book not coming out until sometime in 2015 at the earliest.)

So in trying to think of other books that fit, I came up with a few classic examples.

The Gormenghast books, of course. Even though it's not until the fourth book that the story opens out into a wider world, I would call the castle itself a micro-world: various, immense, dense with details, yet ruled by so many stifling rituals that the effect is claustrophobic.

Islandia, by Austen Tappen Wright is often cited as falling into this category, though I've never read it and therefore can't describe it. Maybe someone else who reads this thread has read it and can talk about it.

Swordspoint, by Ellen Kushner. Nothing vaguely supernatural that I can think of, in the tradition of Ruritanian fiction, but not, so far as I remember, located (as Ruritania is), in any corner of our own world. Books like The Prisoner of Zenda clearly take place in Europe, and important character wander in from places like England and get caught up in the intrigues of the plots. But Swordspoint, though it displays many of the tropes of fantasy based in Western Europe, does not feel like it is in Europe.

I know I've read other books of the same type, but my memory is blocking out anything else. Can anyone come up with more examples? And if you have read them would you agree with my examples?

Enid Blyton's Adventure series - I wonder if today it might be classed as fantasy. The boys have an almost magical ability with animals.
Alannah Knight - Inspector Faro and Rose McQuinn - detective stories but there are hints of possible ghosts and selkies but we never find out if it is mere the stuff of myths.

Votan and Other Novels by John James

Shardik by Richard Adams. (1974) (I have not read the sequel, Maia [1984].) Although the title character is a bear who is considered to be divine, and the story takes place in a completely imaginary land, there is no trace of anything fantastic, and no evidence that Shardik is anything but a very large bear.

Orsinian Tales by Ursula K. LeGuin. (1976) These stories, published over several years in various places, all take place in the imaginary Central European nation of Orsinia at various times in its history. One ("The Barrow") was published in F&SF and might be considered fantasy, but the others are entirely realistic.

The Malacia Tapestry by Brian Aldiss Takes place in an alternate medieval/renaissance world where man kind evolved from dinosaurs.

I thought about the Orsinian stories, but wondered if they might be classified with the Ruritanian and Graustark books? I've only read some of the stories, so I was never clear on that point. I think there is a very thin line between Ruritanian romance and the kind of thing I am looking for, and I am not sure that I would be prepared to say where that line is.

And Anya, aren't the Blyton books firmly set in our own world? I am not familiar at all with Allanah Knight, so can't agree or disagree with you there.

But I am not thinking of books that are almost fantasy that take place in our world or an imaginary corner of our world. I am thinking of books where the only element that might make them fantasy is that they take place in an other world or reality.

I thought about the Orsinian stories, but wondered if they might be classified with the Ruritanian and Graustark books? I've only read some of the stories, so I was never clear on that point. I think there is a very thin line between Ruritanian romance and the kind of thing I am looking for, and I am not sure that I would be prepared to say where that line is.

Yeah, the Orsinian things were what first came to mind for me, too. But, now that you raise that point, I think they are much more disconnected from Europe than things like Zenda (I think - that's in the Pile) but still is pretty clearly supposed to be a made-up spot of this world, so wouldn't quite fit. I think the "fantasical" quotient is so low that they might fall on the wrong side of the very thin line.

Just to be clear on further distinctions, you're not talking about things like Kafka's The Trial or The Castle? I don't recall anything outright fantastic in those (as opposed to "The Metamorphosis" - although I'm probably forgetting something, especially in The Castle) but they take place in a kind of "eu topos" nowhere land and feel all kinds of weird. But maybe surrealist-type stuff isn't quite what you mean and you're looking for more "mimetic" stuff?

It's been quite a while but, as I recall, the first two at least of the Neustria books* by Leslie Berringer would classify. (Again, if memory serves, there is at least a hint of the fantastic to the third.) Also -- again counting on my increasingly spotty memory -- some of William Morris' works, which might more properly be termed "romances" in the original sense of the term... even though they distinctly have a fantastic feel to them. And (more or less) within our reality** several of the books within James Branch Cabell's "Biography of the Life of Manuel" would also apply: Beyond Life, Chivalry, The Line of Love, Gallantry, etc., as even within those which are most "realistic" there is both the fact that they are part of a much larger fantastic structure and the general atmosphere of the books has that air of fantasy. Some of these, of course, often being story collections, have a story or two which contain an element of the supernatural or fantastic (as with "The Story of the Wedding Jest" in The Line of Love), but are in the main stories of a more naturalistic sort.

*Gerfalcon, Joris of the Rock, Shy Leopardess

**This is arguable, given Cabell's blurring of the lines concerning such things.

I've never read any Kafka (perhaps I should) and I am not absolutely sure what you mean by a "nowhere" land, but it sounds like it could be the kind of thing I mean. Something that is fantasy not because of any fantasy (or science fiction) elements within it, but because of where it is . . . or isn't.

Much thinking. I wonder about Dune. Fantastical elements are few and it is a seperately imagined world. I don't even think it's an imagined future - it's its own world.

Also, Songmaster by Orson Scott Card. I don't remember any special powers per se, but the world feels fantastical. It's a lovely story, btw. Also, I haven't read enough to be sure, but the Dark Tower by King, maybe?

Kafka would almost fit the bill but he's closer to magical realism, I think.

Actually I wonder if sci fi doesn't deliver more along these lines than fantasy - I'm thinking if some PKD, maybe.

As I said, I am not thinking of books where fantastical elements are few. I'd like to discuss books where they are totally absent, and the only thing that makes them fantasy is that they don't belong to our world. And if there are elements of science fiction ... then it is only fantasy if you think science fiction is a subset of fantasy, which I believe will cause an uproar if we start that conversation.

As far as Dune is concerned (besides being SF in my opinion) though there are few fantastical elements, they are absolutely central to the plot.

The Castle by Franz Kafka
As I said, I am not thinking of books where fantastical elements are few. I'd like to discuss books where they are totally absent, and the only thing that makes them fantasy is that they don't belong to our world. And if there are elements of science fiction ... then it is only fantasy if you think science fiction is a subset of fantasy, which I believe will cause an uproar if we start that conversation.

As far as Dune is concerned (besides being SF in my opinion) though there are few fantastical elements, they are absolutely central to the plot.

What about alternate History books?

I think I said in the first post no alternate history. If not, then I should have, because alternate history isn't what I am looking for. Alternate history has too much of our own history in the background (up to the point where it diverges), it includes the geography of our world.

(Not that I am not grateful for all the suggestions, because I am grateful to each of you for contributing to this thread.)

Hmmm, okay. I think Scott Card's short work has several which come close. I've mentioned Songmaster. Unaccompanied Sonata is really close and the only fantastical element I can think of is they have a device which cauterizes a singing voice, but alternate reality has to have technological things we don't have in this world? Holy, again, has no fantastic elements (odd story, though.) There are others I don't remember so well like a Plague of Butterflies and The Monkeys Thought T'was all Fun that I don't remember fantastic elements in.

You do realise I'll have to go read them all again and it's 700 pages long! I'll report back... :)

I think I said in the first post no alternate history. If not, then I should have, because alternate history isn't what I am looking for. Alternate history has too much of our own history in the background (up to the point where it diverges), it includes the geography of our world.

(Not that I am not grateful for all the suggestions, because I am grateful to each of you for contributing to this thread.)

It's difficult to come up with anything that quite fits what your looking for .

What about novel like H Rider Haggard's People of the Mist? There is no fantasy element that im aware of. It's a lost civilization adventure novel.

I'm having a hard time coming up with much. You're talking about a realistic secondary world - no fantasy, no SF, just not this world. And I can't really think of any literary reason to write such a thing besides (a) just a sense of dislocation or (b) a sense of dislocation for a specific purpose, such as wanting to talk about the dynamics or essences behind Christian vs. Muslim or American vs. Russian without getting bogged down in the specifics - the need for precise historical accuracy, the emotional baggage, the old viewpoints, etc. So it's going to be a tiny subgenre.

Stuff like Henry James' Turn of the Screw or (to me) Bronte's Wuthering Heights are out because, while they can be seen as completely non-fantastic, yet have a fantastic feel, they are definitely of this primary world. Ditto stuff like Spinrad's The Mind Game or Silverberg's The Book of Skulls, which are steeped in fantastic methods and are often considered such but are ostensibly mainstream - again, very much of this world.

The only thing (other than maybe Kafka) I can think of is another YA work (if the very very dim mists of memory serve): Lloyd Alexander's Westmark is (I think) exactly what you're looking for (unless it has fantasy I'm forgetting) and I suspect YA would account for a large percentage of any other examples - the rest being adult political/religious or surrealist stuff.

Not that I can think of any examples off the top of my head, but it seems that what you may find, even if you're not specifically looking for it, are stories set on other worlds that have, perhaps, been colonised by Earth (for example) but whose knowledge of that is lost, together with the hand-wavy physics that got them there. That would give you both the setting and the lack of magic, or other fantasy elements. You may also find allegories (though I expect that would be even less in your sights). Otherwise, it's hard to imagine why someone would create the setting without fantasy or SF elements present, particularly as you're obviously looking for published works. (Okay, some of the R.E. Howard's Conan stores might fit -- some of his stories lack magic and his setting isn't really convincing as our world in the past -- but I doubt you're looking for his works.)

I can think of is another YA work (if the very very dim mists of memory serve): Lloyd Alexander's Westmark is (I think) exactly what you're looking for (unless it has fantasy I'm forgetting) and I suspect YA would account for a large percentage of any other examples

Westmark, yes, I knew there were books I had simply forgotten. That would be one of them. Thank you.

And I think you are right that the majority of such books would be YA.

Ursa major said:
Otherwise, it's hard to imagine why someone would create the setting without fantasy or SF elements present, particularly as you're obviously looking for published works.

Because the plot demands it. Or because the world lives in your imagination and you have to let it out. For instance, Gormenghast. Did Peake write it with a view toward publication, or because he couldn't not write it? (Not a rhetorical question. I am asking because I really don't know. Perhaps someone here does.)