June 2014 -- SEVENTY-FIVE WORD WRITING CHALLENGE -- VICTORY TO JULIANA

Status
Not open for further replies.

alchemist

Be pure. Be vigilant. Beware.
Rules:

Write a story inspired by the chosen theme and genre in no more than 75 words, not including the title.

One entry per person

All stories Copyright 2014 by their respective authors,
who grant the Chronicles Network the non-exclusive right to publish them here

The complete rules can be found at Rules For The Writing Challenges

Contest ends at 11:59 pm GMT, June 23 2014

Voting Ends at 11:59 pm GMT, June 28 2014

You do not have to submit a story in order to vote --
in fact, we encourage all Chrons members to take part in choosing a winner

The Magnificent Prize:

The Dignified Congratulations/Grovelling Admiration of Your Peers
and the challenge of choosing the next month's theme and genre

Theme:

DECEPTION

Genre:

Historical Fiction

This thread to be used for entries only. Please keep all comments to the Discussion Thread

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: June 2014 -- SEVENTY-FIVE WORD WRITING CHALLENGE -- READ FIRST POST!!

Blood

Peggy Frigg contemplated the blood seeping into the dirt floor of the hovel. She picked up her skirts and stepped over her mother’s corpse. With frozen fingers, she prized open the thick plank that served as a door.

A big, burly, sweaty man leered at her. He was one of her mother’s regulars.

“Mither's got 'er bleed. Come back next week.” She slammed the board shut and returned to her contemplation.

Queen Edward

Lady Elizabeth gave a knowing smile. “What are you saying, Mr Ascham?”

“My honourable lady, your dear brother is not your brother. We should be calling her Edwina, not Edward.”

“Hmm.” She rose from her seat, then collected a ruffled shirt from her wardrobe. “Do you know of deadly nightshade?”

“It’s poisonous. It can seep through the skin.”

She held the shirt up. “I made this for ‘Edward’. It’s to die for, one might say.”

Bearing Gifts

Timeo Danaos et Dona Ferentes! I was never deceived. While the men argued, we burned it where it stood and spat in the face of Agamemnon. The screams from within conveyed a bad death for heroes. I feel pity, but no remorse.

I have ceased to warn; nobody believes Cassandra. Nevertheless, the women must still obey King Priam's daughter. Too late the men return. Fools. What would they have done with a giant wooden horse?

Last edited:

HEADLINE GRABBER

The first man to walk upon this world stared at the spectacle before him. Crisp stars twinkled upon an ebony background, suspended above a stark unending landscape.

Perfect. Perfect in every way.

From behind the lander another man approached.

He sighed. Well, at least we beat the Ruskies. Kinda.

As he had been ordered to do, the astronaut lifted his visor and paid attention.

“Okay, Neil, in the next scene you plant the flag, here.”

RATS!

For three years I shivered in the shadow of the keep, holding the Bruce's siege. Those inside were worse, reduced to eating rats.

At last, they offered a parley. Safe under a flag of truce, I led our party to the gatehouse and waited, enclosed by grey walls, the murder hole dark above us.

A crash. The portcullis fell. Soldiers descended each tower, pikes raised.

I saw the cleaver; the rats were off the menu.

The Hero Slave

Returning to a hero’s welcome, Ramses addressed his people.
“Kadesh has seen the might of Egypt yet I am merciful and have granted the Hittites peace!”

At that moment the armies of Ueret, princess of the Hittites came, and the Egyptian army fled.

Years later, Ueret married her favorite slave, for love was born in her. Thus she had his mane and image restored to all monuments in Egypt, but never gave him freedom.

Those Frenchies seek him everywhere.

Blue Pimpernel! You think yourself so clever.
Your valorous deeds, and bewitching swordplay are known throughout France and England.

Many are the theories as to your secret identity.
But I have uncloaked you at last.
You are not John nnoakes, as Chauvelin attests, but his sister Joan; thought bedridden these ten years.

Now I, Valérie Singletonne,Grande Duchesse de Pierre Bleu, challenge you to evade the traps I have set.
Here's one I prepared earlier.

Hell on Earth

He was bound; unable to leave the invisible cage the pentagram kept him in. He’d been behind so many of the past wars and disease and now he sat, tied up and impotent.

The priest spouted out Latin phrases and Satan screamed as his soul left the vessel.

When all the evidence was scrubbed clean, the Church closed the door on this and no one ever suspected he’d walked the earth among man.

Up in Front

The man stopped in the aisle and yelled “Give me this seat, boy!” When I didn’t move or look at him, he kicked me and spat, then stormed past.

I saw the hateful, smiling mirror-eyes of the driver who watched, saying nothing.

I’d never show them I wasn’t scared inside, but exultant‐‐someday my grandson Thomas would ride up front, and no one could kick him. Small roots can break mighty boulders, with time.

Last edited:

A Lesson from the Lamb

“Why do you stare at that tomb?”

“Because it is mine.”

“Who crafts a tomb for a man yet living?”

“If I am believed to have died, did I not die?”

“You create the illusion of death?”

“What illusion? A man lives, dies, and lives again.”

“Impossible!”

“Oh?”

“Unless you are a miracle worker.”

“Some may call me that.”

“But miracles aren’t real.”

“Faith is real; love is real. If you remember anything, remember that.”

One Small Step

Dmitri Vorstov staggered from the tangled wreck of his spacecraft. Unfiltered sunlight blazed through his faceplate. Only a few minutes of air remained in his spacesuit. He left his footprints in powdery soil undisturbed by millenia. As he took his last breath, he consoled himself with the fact that he was the first to reach this barren place.

On April 11, 1968, Pravda announced that the unmanned probe Luna 14 had reached the Moon.

Smoothing over a Wrinkle

The bathroom echoes with my heavy breathing; travelling is a surprising strain. I check the unfamiliar face in the mirror and smile.

In the conference room I push past uniformed men and black swastikas. A piercing stare greets me.

“Oberst Brandt.”

I nod, not trusting my German. The briefcase is there, under the table. I gently nudge it forward.

Just seventeen centimetres is needed to prevent his death and wipe Himmler’s Fourth Reich from history.

Last edited:
Building a new world with lies....

“Romans will not raid your lands again – henceforth our great wall will be the show of power my public expects. But we want my…. our soldiers bones returned.”

The chieftain nods, and emperor Hadrian silently exults: My love, my centurion Gracus, finally you will rest with honour!

Later, as Hadrian leaves, the chieftain's thoughts run dark: We've killed no centurions, but bones can be found anywhere. Go drain Rome’s coffers for your wall, fool.

The Fall of the Confederacy

​General Lee surveyed the field in despair. The message he received said the Union army was at Turner's Gap, so he had made the decision to march through the south to attack Washington.

​What a terrible mistake he had made. The battle was a massacre. Nearly all the Confederates involved were killed. Lee handed his sword over to Grant silently, staring at the traitorous messenger next to the Union general before turning away.

Your Country Needs You

Smith leaned in close. ‘Are you eighteen, boy?’

‘Yes, Sergeant.’

‘You look skinny to me, lad.’ Smith poked him with a baton, ‘are you telling me the truth?’

‘Yes, sir.’ Eyes darting to and fro, ‘I’m eighteen as of two weeks ago.’

‘Sir is for the officers,’ growled Smith. ‘Eighteen you say?’

Chest puffed out with pride, ‘I want to fight with my pals.'

'Sign here, lad.' Smith turned to another fresh faced boy. 'NEXT.'

Now You See It…

“Fortino of Florence, you are charged with practice of the black arts. The stake awaits. How plead you?”

“Innocent. In truth I concealed cards for the crowd’s pleasure in earnest hope of earning my supper. See, ‘tis easily done. The card is held ‘twixt the fingers and hidden so – only to appear again. A child’s game. No Devil’s work here, Lord Inquisitor.”

– –

“You are free?”

“Aye. But the flames felt close. I’m done with sorcery."

A. True. Story

Back when I was seventeen, between the two World Wars, I worked the carnival.

'Round and 'round my wheel 'ud go. Sometimes, you'd win a prize.

They taught us:.. never admit a game is rigged, never give no money back.

One time a feller, he was so mad, he brought his uncle, the
Sheriff. He shoved a sawed-off shotgun right in my face. I never admitted nothing!

'Course I also give 'em his money back.

Last edited:

A King's Secret

“Who are you?”

“My identity is best left unsaid.”

“Why?”

“In order to deceive the enemy, one must first deceive her friends.”

Donned with pristine armour, she flew into battle, carrying a mighty blade fit for a king.

She suffered a fatal blow and as she lay dying, she let loose her golden hair and beckoned to her most loyal knight.

“Bedivere.” She gestured to the sword next to her. “Return Excalibur to the lake.”

Barbarossa

"Are you certain?"

I swallow. "Yes." I point to my columns of numbers; men, tanks, aeroplanes. "Divert sufficient divisions from the west and you will hold Moscow by next winter."

"But they are so many..."

"The Russians are untermenschen, mein Führer; they lack resolve."

"Very well." He nods. "We will invade in spring."

I salute and turn, suppressing a smile, and leave him with the documents we prepared months ago in London.

Status
Not open for further replies.