Rosemary Sutcliff

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
There are quite a few. Although they are aimed at YA she had a wonderful way with words. Particular favorites of mine were The Mark of the Horse Lord, The Shining Company, The Lantern Bearers and Swords at Sunset.

I enjoyed Eagle of the Ninth, Black Ships Before Troy was amazing, The Hound of Ulster and the Arthur/Artorius ones, can't remember what those two are called...

I enjoyed Eagle of the Ninth, Black Ships Before Troy was amazing, The Hound of Ulster and the Arthur/Artorius ones, can't remember what those two are called...
Those books are The Lantern Bearers and Swords at Sunset.

I enjoyed many of the Rosemary Sutcliff books. The Eagle of the Ninth Chronicles were thoroughly enjoyable. I also read the King Arthur trilogy that she wrote. Very descriptive language. Also read Song for a Dark Queen. Very good works, all.

I fell in love with Sutcliff's books when I was in elementary school. It's beautiful and moving stuff for young readers, without being sentimental or pandering. She was quite prolific, and I haven't come across a dud yet. I've been trying to get my hands on A Flower of Adonis, which IIRC is the only time she tackled ancient Greece, but it's long OOP.