Why are swords the "weapon of choice" in fantasy?

lonewolfwanderer

The One and Only
I've always wondered this... I mean, there are always exceptions or places where other weapons take a major role, but the sword still seems to be the number 1 choice for the protagonist's weapon. Is it because of it's versatility?

Because of the simple, over-all appeal.
It's easy to understand how they work (big piece of sharp metal that you swing around!), so battles with them are easy for anyone to comprehend.
Fights with them are often frantic, action-packed, and violent, which is always entertaining.
And they look so very cool~

Tons of people like Swords, in fact I have yet to meet people who don't like swords. And well, because they're cool! It's like WHY DO YOU LIKE CHEESE? Well, Duh- IT'S CHEESE for Christs sake.

Okay... but aren't they are a little overused? Aren't we bored of them? or are they one of those things we'll never get bored of regardless of how many times we read about them?

Nah, I don't think anyone will get bored of them in a hurry. They're such a staple-mark of fantasy that it'd seem strange without them at all! Besides, they are a good means of delivering a gritty fight scene, and so, if it ain't broke... ;)

Not that it's a bad idea to change things up sometimes, of course, but swords will always be welcome, I'm sure.

Nah, I don't think anyone will get bored of them in a hurry. They're such a staple-mark of fantasy that it'd seem strange without them at all! Besides, they are a good means of delivering a gritty fight scene, and so, if it ain't broke... ;)

Not that it's a bad idea to change things up sometimes, of course, but swords will always be welcome, I'm sure.

Ye that's good to know. In my WIP i don't want guns. They lack the personal touch that a sword has. But i felt that they might be a bit "expected" and boring. Because of that, i couldn't think of an viable alternative for my final fight scene.

Maybe then my idea of having my demi-god protag gain the ability to conjure swords from the elements won't be such a boring thing.

Asking for fantasy without swords is like asking for sci-fi without science. It's just fiction. The elves and dwarfs you can leave to one side, but swords... hell no!

Conan with a laser gun; it just doesn't work, does it?:D

No RAY GUNS? Well, while I'm here.

A sword is a weapon of last resort, the in close fighting. What you'd really want is a bow and arrow, a spear, maybe even a big nasty axe to keep the enemy away from you. So by the time you've drawn your sword your already in trouble.

Yet the romance of the sword lingers. Lets face it, it looks better than an axe and has the Knighty, rescue the maiden in distress going for it too. It cost a lot, so it was the sports car of the Middle Ages, aurmor being the private jet. No peasant could afford one, unlike the axe, spear and bow and arrow.

So... We're all weapon snobs. We like a nice sword. It looks cool. All except me. Give me a halbert every time, good for lots of nasty work, with a bit of almost everything, which can be very useful when your in a tight spot. Keep your sword, I'll poke you with my longer halbert every time.

A somewhat trite answer would be: because history says so :)

A basic sword is very easy to make, and relatively material efficient. It's a flat bit of metal with a sharp edge, hopefully harder (whether by material or manufacture) than whatever your enemy has.
Thus they can be mass produced to equip your army relatively easily.
See also spears: get some wood, whittle a lot, stick a spike/flint/whatever on the end and you're done.

I'd imagine that's the simplest reason why they were so prevalent in history, right there. There's no real reason why even the most fantastical world would be any different unless either the balance of material available in the world, or the abundance of 'power' (magic or something else) is enough to make a martial weapon largely pointless.

Note also that they're ideal for the close crush that armies used to fight in at that time. Axes need more swing, maces need more material and both are a bit more unwieldy due to mass distribution (though a heavy mace is of course more suitable than a sword against metal armour).

However, for an individual, which is what a character in a book will tend to be, there's no reason at all why they HAVE to have a sword, but it'll still likely be the most common thing out there (probably)

Personally, I'm with Bowler1. I'd rather have a Halberd or Naginata of some description. (though with some short range weapon to back it up in case someone's right in your face of course :))

A somewhat trite answer would be: because history says so :)

A basic sword is very easy to make, and relatively material efficient. It's a flat bit of metal with a sharp edge, hopefully harder (whether by material or manufacture) than whatever your enemy has.
Thus they can be mass produced to equip your army relatively easily.
See also spears: get some wood, whittle a lot, stick a spike/flint/whatever on the end and you're done.

I'd imagine that's the simplest reason why they were so prevalent in history, right there. There's no real reason why even the most fantastical world would be any different unless either the balance of material available in the world, or the abundance of 'power' (magic or something else) is enough to make a martial weapon largely pointless.

Note also that they're ideal for the close crush that armies used to fight in at that time. Axes need more swing, maces need more material and both are a bit more unwieldy due to mass distribution (though a heavy mace is of course more suitable than a sword against metal armour).

However, for an individual, which is what a character in a book will tend to be, there's no reason at all why they HAVE to have a sword, but it'll still likely be the most common thing out there (probably)

Personally, I'm with Bowler1. I'd rather have a Halberd or Naginata of some description. (though with some short range weapon to back it up in case someone's right in your face of course :))

A bow on horseback was the Samurai weapon of choice for centuries, then spear/naginata and finally if it all went wrong that's when they would use a sword. Finally, in an era of relative peace after the last massed infantry field battle in Japan, that's when the sword became their primary weapon as a symbol of status.

Swords, regardless of practicality in any case are symbols of status so they're a natural choice for fantasy. Why else do soldiers still wear ceremonial swords?

Hi,

There are exceptions. Druss of Gemmels Drenai series is an axe wielder as is Fafhrd of Lieber's books. Also from memory John Normas Tarl Cabot (Gor) used an axe from time to time.

Axes tend to fit more with the barbarian archetype though Conan used a sword.

Cheers, Greg.

Awesome... Thanks for all the replies, despite me repeating an already existing discussion.

Well, i've decided on my protag's weapon.The japanese bisento, i feel is a fitting weapon.

Bisentos are cool, good choice. There are some really cool videos on YouTube about how to use them.

I asked the very same question a few months ago. Great minds an' all that. I came to the conclusion that swords are used primarily in fantasy because: Fantasy!

This last word must be shouted with vigour! :D

Swords are also easier to imagine people having long sword battles with. The clang of metal, the thrust and slash. Whilst you can do a long battle/duel with any weapon swords (for close combat duels) are often the weapon of choice for the writer because they know the readers can visualise what's going on very readily. Throw something like a mace into the mix and suddenly you've got a lot more description you've likely got to add to pad out the fact that people don't understand how it would be used in such a battle. (even if that understanding is only Hollywood level physics and concepts).

Rarer weapons oft require even more explanation, and by rare I don't even mean exotic. There are a good number of weapons that the average person has no idea of. Mention the name to them and they won't be able to visualise it - they won't know really what it is, nor how or why its used.

Even for fairly common weapons people have a very limited understanding of how they are used - consider spears. Most people will think of 2 kinds of use

1) Throwing spears

2) Anti-charging horses.

So now the writers got to build more information into their story.