Parallel Plot routes... An idea

lonewolfwanderer

The One and Only
I came up with an idea for a novel series, and discussed it with a friend of mine. But we can't figure out whether it will work or not, so i thought i'd ask the Chrons.

Essentially its based around parallel plot routes. You have three books, each following the same story, but following different routes. They all follow the main character, and each route reveals more of the plot... If that makes sense.

Now i'm not talking about visual novels, or anime, i'm talking about doing it in ordinary novel form.

Will it work? And are there examples of where it has been done?

The Deptford Trilogy by Robertson Davies tells the same story from three different characters, each in its own standalone story. Each reveals something we didn't know before. Also worth looking at is Zafon's Shadow of The Wind series, which is quite like this - each is interlinked but standalones and reveals things to support the others.

I like these kind of things if they're done well - characteris the key, I think.

The biggest trick is if you're following the same story and the same character, will be ensuring that you don't end up repeating yourself too much. Too much repetition in a book series as it matures can be very frustrating to readers of the series (many a person oft rushes through the first chapter or two in a second or third novel when those chapters are mostly repeating or recapping on the previous books events).

I can imagine this working if the MC is relating the story to three different people (or audiences), each of whose interests are focused on different parts of the story, i.e. the MC isn't (necessarily) being devious, and isn't (necessarily) lying to us, the readers.

Think of someone coming back from a business trip, and telling their boss, their colleagues and their spouse/partner, what happened. These accounts are likely to be very different, and may have little overlap apart from the passage of time and (general) locations.

The biggest trick is if you're following the same story and the same character, will be ensuring that you don't end up repeating yourself too much. Too much repetition in a book series as it matures can be very frustrating to readers of the series (many a person oft rushes through the first chapter or two in a second or third novel when those chapters are mostly repeating or recapping on the previous books events).

Oh no, it won't be repetitive. It's merely about sending the MC down a different route. I mean, there might be one or two things that is the same, but the overall story will have taken a different route. And each book has its own theme.

Like in the Visual Novel, Fate/Stay Night. It follows that same idea. Each path has a different theme, the MC follows a different route, but the plot is the same and each route provides more of the plot. You don't truly understand the plot until you have read through all paths.

Thanks springs. I will look at those books and see how it works in novel form.

I can imagine this working if the MC is relating the story to three different people (or audiences), each of whose interests are focused on different parts of the story, i.e. the MC isn't (necessarily) being devious, and isn't (necessarily) lying to us, the readers.

Think of someone coming back from a business trip, and telling their boss, their colleagues and their spouse/partner, what happened. These accounts are likely to be very different, and may have little overlap apart from the passage of time and (general) locations.

It's quite complicated i think, but what i'm thinking of doing is something more like this: In one book you have a major turning point where the character has to make a key decision. He makes one decision, and the plot follows through on that decision. In the second book you'd have him make a different decision, and third a separate decision all together (all based on the theme of the individual book). Each plot takes a different turn, and reveals something vital to the plot.

I'll link a diagram of the Visual Novel that i mentioned in my previous post to give you a better idea. I wouldn't bother trying to read what's in there, as the quality isn't good enough (it's the only diagram i can find), but it should give a rough idea of what i'm thinking of doing.

The center (yellow) route, is the first route. Then its the one on the right, and finally the one on the left.

1363216209836.jpg

Essentially, each book follows alternative routes of the plot, each with their own separate endings, and each revealing more of the plot. So you have to read through all the books to have a full understanding of the plot.

A novel might also be simpler, because the Visual Novel depicted in the diagram is very similar to a choose your own adventure book (hence all the branches). But i'm not wanting to do it as a choose your own adventure book, just as a novel following a similar concept.

Last edited:
It's quite complicated i think, but what i'm thinking of doing is something more like this: In one book you have a major turning point where the character has to make a key decision. He makes one decision, and the plot follows through on that decision. In the second book you'd have him make a different decision, and third a separate decision all together (all based on the theme of the individual book). Each plot takes a different turn, and reveals something vital to the plot.

Essentially, each book follows alternative routes of the plot, each with their own separate endings, and each revealing more of the plot. So you have to read through all the books to have a full understanding of the plot.
Ah, I see.

What confused me was the word, plot. What you're describing are three plots that are linked by the same starting point, the same MC and the same general setting and (presumably) antagonist(s). The reader may (I assume will) get to see more of the setting, more of the antagonist(s), assuming that the decisions the MC makes lead to different paths and outcomes, and (perhaps) different final outcomes. Whether the reader is interested in finding out how things might have turned out differently is a... er... different question, as is how much work you're prepared to put in to make it all worth the reader's while**.

I suppose the best outcome (from your point of view) would be a book one that was an engaging read with a satisfying ending that could have been better (in terms of how the MC saw it, that is, not quality of writing or story-telling).

** - As opposed to funding other ways to make the original story richer (using, say, other PoV characters).

Ah, I see.

What confused me was the word, plot. What you're describing are three plots that are linked by the same starting point, the same MC and the same general setting and (presumably) antagonist(s). The reader may (I assume will) get to see more of the setting, more of the antagonist(s), assuming that the decisions the MC makes lead to different paths and outcomes, and (perhaps) different final outcomes. Whether the reader is interested in finding out how things might have turned out differently is a... er... different question, as is how much work you're prepared to put in to make it all worth the reader's while**.

I suppose the best outcome (from your point of view) would be a book one that was an engaging read with a satisfying ending that could have been better (in terms of how the MC saw it, that is, not quality of writing or story-telling).

** - As opposed to funding other ways to make the original story richer (using, say, other PoV characters).

In the example i'd given, each route has it's own ending that is satisfying and does conclude the story. However, there are still various things that are left unsaid, that need to be said. Those things are only revealed in the other routes. For example: In Fate Stay Night (i use this example because its the only "novel" i've read that utilizes the concept), the goal is the holy grail. But you don't find out what the holy grail is until you've gone through each route. You also find out other things that helps the plot to make sense.

So yes, each story will have it's own conclusive ending, but you will leave wondering what this and that is (like the holy grail in Fate Stay Night). Those questions will only be asked in the alternative routes.

I do reckon that if a novel series is written this way, all books would have to be released at about the same time, otherwise you end up waiting for those answers.

Question now is... Could it work as an ordinary series of novels(not visual novel, or choose you own adventure)?

Not sure what I think of this. It sounds like an interesting idea, but I have a hard time figuring out whether I would actually end up wanting to read a series of books like that. That doesn't mean it couldn't be really well done, but I think I would possibly just skip reading that kind of book, unless someone recommended it to me very highly. But that's just me, and if the plot sounded interesting enough I'm sure I'd get over any reluctance I might have and read it!

I think it would be pretty important to leave the audience really curious. If I read a book and I am more or less satisfied with the end, then even if I am wondering about a few things I might just stop there... or google search what gets revealed in the next books to fill in what I missed. I feel like it would need to end with some huge questions that you felt just needed to be answered in order for you to sleep at night kind of thing. I don't know why, but I'm thinking a little bit of a magic trick right now, the crazy intense kind that leave you wondering for days how it worked. If you could capture this feel and have each novel reveal some aspect of the 'trick' (plus probably introducing some new questions) then I would probably be a lot more hooked.

You probably have a plot in mind already, but one thought is I think this could work well with some kind of mystery. If there was some kind of criminal mastermind who pulled off an impossible heist or some such, so that even though each story you might catch the guy and conclude the story, there are aspects of the mystery that are still not explained and things that the criminal did that still seem impossible (like a magic trick!) and leave the audience dying to figure out how they pulled it off. How did he manage to pull of (fill in the blank)? How did the money disappear when no one was in the vault? etc. This probably isn't what you are going for, but I think it could be pretty cool!

Anyway, those are my thoughts. :) I think I could definitely work, but you're going to need a really intriguing plot that allows for several things to be unexplained/unresolved while the story could still be 'concluded' for each book.

Hope that helps!

Not sure what I think of this. It sounds like an interesting idea, but I have a hard time figuring out whether I would actually end up wanting to read a series of books like that. That doesn't mean it couldn't be really well done, but I think I would possibly just skip reading that kind of book, unless someone recommended it to me very highly. But that's just me, and if the plot sounded interesting enough I'm sure I'd get over any reluctance I might have and read it!

I think it would be pretty important to leave the audience really curious. If I read a book and I am more or less satisfied with the end, then even if I am wondering about a few things I might just stop there... or google search what gets revealed in the next books to fill in what I missed. I feel like it would need to end with some huge questions that you felt just needed to be answered in order for you to sleep at night kind of thing. I don't know why, but I'm thinking a little bit of a magic trick right now, the crazy intense kind that leave you wondering for days how it worked. If you could capture this feel and have each novel reveal some aspect of the 'trick' (plus probably introducing some new questions) then I would probably be a lot more hooked.

You probably have a plot in mind already, but one thought is I think this could work well with some kind of mystery. If there was some kind of criminal mastermind who pulled off an impossible heist or some such, so that even though each story you might catch the guy and conclude the story, there are aspects of the mystery that are still not explained and things that the criminal did that still seem impossible (like a magic trick!) and leave the audience dying to figure out how they pulled it off. How did he manage to pull of (fill in the blank)? How did the money disappear when no one was in the vault? etc. This probably isn't what you are going for, but I think it could be pretty cool!

Anyway, those are my thoughts. :) I think I could definitely work, but you're going to need a really intriguing plot that allows for several things to be unexplained/unresolved while the story could still be 'concluded' for each book.

Hope that helps!

I actually agree with this. To achieve it I will need to leave the reader wanting to find out why, or how. I'll want to leave the reader curious about something important.

Visual novels can pull it off because they are more akin to games than novels, so the reader/user knows there are multiple paths. So there it works. Whereas with an ordinary novel it's different; its implementation will require something else.

I don't actually have a plot yet (i'm still working on something else), but the idea is there and i do at some point want to implement it. At least out of my own curiosity if nothing else.
And the idea is still a little too complicated for my experience level, so i need to gain that experience as a writer first before i can implement it. It'll take a lot of planning, and my spontaneity is something i'll have to overcome for this idea.

I just wasn't sure if it would work or not. Thanks for all your input. i appreciate it.

This is an interesting idea and I suppose one place to look is the movie groundhog day where bill Murray's character was literally sick of life at some point.

There's also the move 12:01 done at the same time with similar plot.

A better example might be the television version of WitchBlade.
The first season came to a messy conclusion and the blade reboot the thing from the start.

When I think of these three examples I think you would have to really be quite creative to make this work in three separate books.

You might be better off with one book with three parts each a separate novella.

Having a character do the same story but changing things up a bit each time seems intriguing and the idea of changing things makes it seem less like insanity.

Having an author write the same story three time does begin to sound like insanity unless the first one does so well that the publisher thinks he can ride the momentum.

As it is it sounds like a nice exercise for an author's personal hobby and when it comes to that--really you can do as many of those as your time and resources allow and your heart desires.

For the record- I only watched two of the second season of Witchblade episodes and I'm not even sure if they finished the full season.

This is an interesting idea and I suppose one place to look is the movie groundhog day where bill Murray's character was literally sick of life at some point.

There's also the move 12:01 done at the same time with similar plot.

A better example might be the television version of WitchBlade.
The first season came to a messy conclusion and the blade reboot the thing from the start.

When I think of these three examples I think you would have to really be quite creative to make this work in three separate books.

You might be better off with one book with three parts each a separate novella.

Having a character do the same story but changing things up a bit each time seems intriguing and the idea of changing things makes it seem less like insanity.

Having an author write the same story three time does begin to sound like insanity unless the first one does so well that the publisher thinks he can ride the momentum.

As it is it sounds like a nice exercise for an author's personal hobby and when it comes to that--really you can do as many of those as your time and resources allow and your heart desires.

For the record- I only watched two of the second season of Witchblade episodes and I'm not even sure if they finished the full season.

I'm quite liking the idea of three parts in one novel, as opposed to three separate books. The fact the story ends when the book continues might provide enough curiosity for the reader to read on.

Only thing to work on is the common parts of each version. Like the moments leading up to the change in plot will need to show different things, otherwise the reader reads the first chapter and thinks "I've just read this" and puts the book down.

As an exercise in the very least, it will get you thinking, "How can i write this differently" and force you to get creative. I will give it a shot and see where it leads me.

Now to just think of a plot...:)

I came up with an idea for a novel series, and discussed it with a friend of mine.

Essentially its based around parallel plot routes. You have three books, each following the same story, but following different routes. They all follow the main character, and each route reveals more of the plot... If that makes sense.

Now i'm not talking about visual novels, or anime, i'm talking about doing it in ordinary novel form.

I'm considering doing the same thing with 3 novellas, I haven't gotten to them yet, though. I think this will work if done right (which is a pretty broad thing to say). As long as you make all 3 stories stem from the same plotline, and take each story down routes that are dramatically different, I think the reader will stay engaged.

This is an interesting idea, although I keep getting caught up on the "how" - I'm sure we'd all love to go back and re-do choices once we've seen where this choice leads; but how is this actually possible and then why only those three paths (the diagram had lots of mini-choices each day too?)

I'd also second the making it one book with three parts.

This is an interesting idea, although I keep getting caught up on the "how" - I'm sure we'd all love to go back and re-do choices once we've seen where this choice leads; but how is this actually possible and then why only those three paths (the diagram had lots of mini-choices each day too?)

I'd also second the making it one book with three parts.

The diagram shows mini choices because it's based on a visual novel. Visual Novels are very similar to choose your own adventure books, where you as the reader makes the decisions. My idea is to implement a similar concept into normal novel format.

As to the "how", well. i'll just see where it goes, and let you know. But i do know that it will require a lot of planning in order to link everything together.

A version of this was done by Stephen Baxter in his Manifold Series. Although that wasn't based on a decision by the character. The starting point was that they were the same characters, but in different universes.

Time: No aliens exist in the universe.
Space: Lots of aliens exist in the universe
Phase Space: A bit more metaphysical

Each book is then a 'future history' style affair.

It worked well in that series, although Phase Space got a bit too out there for my tastes, Time and Space were excellent.

Back