Which Zelazny book to read first?

alchemate

Science fiction fantasy
I have never read Zelazny before but I'm interested in checking out his books. I'm thinking Lord of Light will be a good read. Any others?

I'm not a big expert on this author, but I'll agree that Lord of Light is very good. Doorways in the Sand is a delightful romp. The three SF/crime stories in My Name is Legion are good. Many of his short stories are excellent, so any collection of them is a good bet.

Book: Jack of Shadows and the short story The Game of Blood and Dust (from The Last Defender of Camelot anthology) is essential.

I will check out Lord of Light first, and then The Game of Blood and Dust.

I'll second The Lord of Light; absolute classic in my view.

Definitely agree Lord of Light. Jack of Shadows is very good, and the Chronicles of Amber are not to be missed. As for short stories, there are too many excellent ones to mention, but A Rose For Ecclesiastes has always stood out for me.

A Rose For Ecclesiastes has always stood out for me.

It's interesting how memory plays. I've read and reread many of Zelazny's works. He and his works are almost a fixture in my head; yet, even though A Rose for Ecclesiastes figures highly in his output - and I'm certain of reading it - I've never quite given it the praise that others have.
Now that's not to deny he's a great author. By no means. There's a great deal of the profound hiding in behind the pacey aspects of his work. At some time in the future, I think things will come full circle and we'll have a reappraisal of just what he was saying.

I did not know that was a book for it seen the movie I will look for it. Baylor .I see you on scff world too!

In a general sense, I'd suggest Lord of Light followed by either Jack of Shadows or Nine Princes in Amber. I also rate highly: Isle of the Dead and Creatures of Light and Darkness

I'm not a big expert on this author, but I'll agree that Lord of Light is very good. Doorways in the Sand is a delightful romp. The three SF/crime stories in My Name is Legion are good. Many of his short stories are excellent, so any collection of them is a good bet.

Yep, if the question is which novel, I'd go with Lord of Light or maybe This Immortal, but I'd go with his collections first - to many folks, he's "the Amber guy" but, to me, he's the "60s short fiction guy." If anyone has any interest at all in Zelazny, they've got to have The Doors of His Face, the Lamps of His Mouth and Other Stories (man, do I hate that as a title to a collection, though). I'm also a big fan of My Name is Legion. Even though two of its four stories were reprinted in Doors, the remaining two in Four for Tomorrow are also excellent - no idea why they were reprinted and not reprinted the way they were. The Last Defender of Camelot and Unicorn Variations also contain great work. I would not recommend his expansions, though: "He Who Shapes" (expanded into The Dream Master) and "Damnation Alley" are, unsurprisingly, much better in their shorter forms (novella, IIRC).

Whike it may not be your best choice as first, one you MUST include is Deus Irae. It's a collaboration between Zelazny and Philip K. Dick.

I would suggest starting with one of his stand alone novels. Jumping in with the Amber series is a little like jumping into the deep end of the pool before knowing how to swim as his style of writing is very unique and you either love it or you don't.

I would suggest Doorways in the Sand as a starting point or as some have suggested on of his collections of shorts. The showcase his style and humour well but also allows you to just dip your toes into the Zalazny waters. :)

I would suggest for a standalone:
Lord of Light or Creatures of Light and Darkness, although A Night in the Lonesome October is just about my favorite thing Roger Zelazny wrote.

But if you don't mind a series, definitely read the Chronicles of Amber first.