The "Divergent" Trilogy - Any good?

Am currently reading Divergent and really enjoying it - strong pace, and good use of conflict. I've seen the film so there are no surprises, but I have the next two in the trilogy after.

Finished the trilogy now.

IMO Divergent is a modern classic, with strong pace and characterisation, almost on a par with Hunger Games. The issue of the 5 factions doesn't make much sense, if you question it, but that issue is clearly and satisfactorily addressed with the trilogy.

Insurgent I struggled more with - Tris has less agency, becomes more passive - and spends an awful lot of time crying.

Allegiant I found slow at first - a ton of telling and back story kills the pace in the first half. However, the second half gets much more on form and it all ends in a well-rounded and very satisfying way (my experience with the third Hunger Games book was the reverse).

A decent series with good overall pace, and excellent - and convincingly honest - characterisation of Tris as a teenage protagonist.

I enjoyed the series, but could happily have jumped from book 1 to book 3. I really didn't think the second added much to the story. I loved the ending – unusual way to go but it absolutely worked.

My local bookshop is offering the "Divergent" trilogy at 30% off the RRP.

Can anyone tell me if it's any good?
My youngest daughter bought all three of them for me as a birthday present and I agree with Bluestocking. While the first one is awesome the other two don't quite match up, however, it's definitely
worth reading them all for 3-% off!

I enjoyed both the trilogy and the movies. What can I say ? I'm not a picky reader. I didn't like the end of the trilogy though.
Why had Tris to die ? I know I am a sucker but I prefer happy endings, at least in the books.

Anyone had the chance to read Four yet ? I hoped to find more about his background story, but this is just a complementry novel, his version of the facts with very few new scenes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Readable but not great. Felt about the same with the Hunger Games set. Just stories with out any hook to really grab my interest.

I read the trilogy on a whim when I had never even read YA before. I think the pacing is what makes it all work. It reads so fast it makes ideas I wouldn't normally be drawn in by enjoyable.

I loved Divergent... but then I read Insurgent, and then I forced myself through Allegiant. It kind of loses itself as the series continues, but if you don't mind the sloppy worldbuilding then feel free to put yourself through this. I wasn't a big fan of the character development either, but I'm pretty picky when it comes to that sort of stuff.