The "Divergent" Trilogy - Any good?

Divergent's fantastic, Insurgent's decent, and Allegiant kind of sucked. At 30% off, though, I'd go ahead and buy them. Overall they're worth the investment :)

Divergent's fantastic, Insurgent's decent, and Allegiant kind of sucked. At 30% off, though, I'd go ahead and buy them. Overall they're worth the investment :)

Hopefully there will be some left this weekend when I go back. :D

I was unsure about buying them because I was thinking to assigning it to the kids I tutor to read (I help them with their English language skills) and one of them protested saying that she's read it and she wasn't impressed. Then a friend of mine told me her niece didn't like the trilogy either. Both girls loved The Hunger Games, so I thought perhaps it's an overload of dystopian YA stories? Then again, if it's written as a YA book, then it's not doing a good job of entertaining at least some of the target audience...

UGH! I meant: "I was thinking OF assigning it to...", NOT "I was thinking to assigning it to..."

Grammar fail at 9am on a Tuesday morning.

*Facepalm*

There are very few books that I exile to the back of my bookcase because I dislike them so much. Divergent is one of them. Though I have come to believe I am a minority in my opinion.

I guess they're on offer because the film's coming out now. I haven't seen it but judging by the trailers, it's generic YA dystopian fare. Maybe the books are better.

I haven't got round to reading them yet but they have been selling really well for several months now in store. Not as mixed a readership as hunger games had, but they're still pretty popular.

I guess they're on offer because the film's coming out now. I haven't seen it but judging by the trailers, it's generic YA dystopian fare. Maybe the books are better.

I've bought the series now. "Divergent" is pretty good. "Insurgent" (which I am reading now) isn't as good but still readable. Hoping "Allegiant" will have a satisfying ending at the very least...

I loved all three. Lots of people complained about Allegiant due to the ending and while the ending wasn't wrapped up in a pretty pink bow or warm and fuzzy I think it was pretty accurate to life in general. It is one of my all time favorite series. Worth every cent I spent on them.

Neither the blurb on the inside flap, nor the commercials for the film make it sound very interesting. It just sounds like any other dystopian YA novel.

From what I've read on IGN reviews, its a ripoff of harry potter, twilight and hunger games. I tried reading it, and I found it to be terrible, though that's just my opinion. The setting, and the factions etc, are just not realistic, pretty messed up if you ask me.

My two daughters (ie, young adults) seem to like the series, although neither has finished it yet. I myself am leaning a little in the same direction as Rit, but am hoping my (just me; this is not reflective of ANYONE ELSE's comments!) mind will open a little bit more and give at least the first book a shot...:rolleyes:

How on earth is it anywhere near Harry Potter or Twilight? It is nothing like them. It's closest comparison is The Hunger Games but even then there is more to the series than the first book. In the end it is not like The Hunger Games.

If it's a ripoff of Harry Potter, Twilight AND The Hunger Games, it's got to be one messed-up series of books! :D

I've been thinking of trying these. Might get around to it soon, just to see.

To whom it may concern... It is NOTHING like Harry Potter or Twilight. Both of those books contain supernatural components. Divergent is not a fantasy novel. This is a dystopian society novel. While it has a future society with factions that is the only thing it has in common with The Hunger Games. Divergent does not have a love triangle (THG does). It does not have other man made creatures (THG does).

I like your taste, Valentine! I haven't read Divergent either, but the movie seemed a cross between the atmosphere of The Hunger Games and the world of Brave New World. It was a decent story, but not particularly unique. I don't believe I'm interested enough to read the book.

Based on the movie, I had trouble wrapping my mind around a stable society where most people fall neatly into one of 5 catergories based on temperament. The whole "faction over family" part wasn't something I found to be a believable part of a stable human society either. This is why it reminded me of Brave New World, except in that story genetic engineering and intensive social programming was the reason people could be happy in their set place in society.

Does the book explain these things better than the movie?