March 2014 SEVENTY-FIVE WORD WRITING CHALLENGE -- VICTORY TO STARBEAST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: March 2014 SEVENTY-FIVE WORD WRITING CHALLENGE -- READ FIRST POST !!!

The Book of Death

I once kept a ledger, a list of names if you will. Each one a story, each story a lifetime. I have one role in all these tales and that is preordained.

All lives are stories - some epic, others but a word. Each one an amalgamation of letters, phrases, sentences and punctuation. Each one an imperceivable perfection; whether mundane or fantasy, all endlessly fascinating.

And my part?

Quite simply, the final full stop.

Period.

Five Card Stud on the River Styx

“Where am I?”

“A new arrival! Have a seat boy, I’ll deal you in.”

“Is . . . is this the afterlife?”

“Just about.”

“What do you mean? Who are all these people wandering around?”

“Lad, that there is the River Styx. You’ve got coin in your pocket?”

“Yes, two.”

“Then those who buried you were generous; sit and play.”

“But, why?”

“Costs five coins to cross, brother.”

“And the others?”

“The cards weren’t so kind to them.”

Death? I can take it or leave it.

There is not much to live for. I used to think I was sole survivor, but now I think I may be stuck between the two sides of the dimensional war. Either way, no sign of humans or demons. There is little to eat, no women, no talk, just my own thoughts.

Death seems sweet, until I wonder if I can truly die in this limbo.

Summers End

In a secret, magical, glade the forest creatures gathered. Owls softly alighted upon branches, mice scurried up flower stems, and the hare sat upon a grassy hillock for a better view.

Gentle golden rays of sun cast a final farewell. Faded summer blooms drooped. Petals fell as drifts of rainbow snow, covering silvery hair in a mockery of gaiety.

Breathing slowed, eyelids closed, the last unicorn died alone, lonely for the love of summer.

Death’s Maiden

Was it mercy that stayed her? In that blood covered trench, he seemed innocent of death, even in war. Instead she took him by horse to surgery.
He wasn’t ready.

Later, him miserable with flu, she stayed with him… for life.

Then another war. As his battalion was gunned down, she stood beside him, holding his hand. One last time they rode together. To Asgard.

“Brunhilde! You’re back in awfully late. What kept you?”
“Life.”

Double Edged

At the dead and decaying shipyard, me and John found a glistening dagger. We buried it in the garden. Our treasure. Our secret.

In bed I trembled from the knowledge of our prize. A warrior’s blade? Or a hunter’s knife? Death was engraved upon the metal.

The change was slow: grass withered. Trees turned rotten. Flowers died.

Dad’s heart attack was fast. He’d seen something shiny. He’d walked into the garden with a spade.

Where's the Fun in Being Death?

I love my job; but keeping friends is tough.

I need a hobby.

No one wants to play with a "poker-face" that is an eyeless skull shrouded in Black.

My Visage sends Damsels in Distress shrieking.

I've got long bony guitar fingers; but I fail as a troubadour. I can't sell that "Hey, nonny nonny" nonsense.

The singer/songwriter thing wilts under my grisly mien.

Death Metal Music!

At last. Someone to play with.

Reap what you Reap

Captain Fenris stalked into the room where Maulbrok had finally been restrained.

'I'm to convey your sentence. Immediately.' Fenris punched his dagger into the child murderer's chest. Maulbrok gasped, neck muscles bulging, steel eyes widening.

Fenris withdrew his blade. The wound closed.

Maulbrok spat blood, laughing. 'I've reaped Him a thousand innocent souls, Death won't claim me.'

'Yet, you still feel pain? Foolish.' Fenris thrust his blade again. 'Line up men, and someone bring fire!'

An Immortal Lament

Standing still at the corner of the street, he waited for me to pass.
He waited, but I did not pass.

Standing still at the foot of my bed, he waited for me to sleep.
He waited, but I did not sleep.

Standing still at my moment of weakness, he waited for me to fall.
He waited, but I would not fall.

Standing still, I wait.
But he will not come for me, forever.

Valediction

Now, I die. My blood and foulings all over this strange place. I still have my sword in my hand, and I have cost my enemies much more than my meagre worth. When the battle is done, and the carrionites take my eyes, I will be in haefonum, beyond pain. My kin will scream my name in the lamentation days. My life is a song which has reached its end. So be it.

It Comes To Us All…

He watches the child paddling in the stream, her father cleaning his gun, the grandfather relaxing with yet another cigarette.

It’s someone’s last moment. Whose? He doesn’t care. They won’t be ready – they never are. But that’s not his problem.

Smiling, he steps forward in eager anticipation and stumbles over his flapping hem. Such a simple mistake but the scythe tip enters easily and pierces his black heart.

'But I'm not...,' is his last thought.

The Upside

I hate doing dishes. That’s probably the best part about living here. He’s really clean. The dishes get done. Clean kitchen, clean bathroom for that matter – no wet robes on the floor anyway. And we’ve had some pretty decent parties. Sometimes there’s even frittatas on Sunday.

And he does the dishes. It makes is a lot easier to ignore the chill hellfire of eternity when you pass him in the hallway.

Messiah

[FONT=&quot]The skull saw all, heard all, felt all. Gazing out from it’s shrine, worshippers from a hundred realms paid it homage, hoping for it’s blessings. Long ago, it had belonged to a God, but was now a relic of times when heroes battled monsters and saved entire worlds. It no longer even paid attention to the comings of others. It sat waiting for a day fast approaching, when it’s glory and power would be restored.[/FONT]

Doubt In Thomas

The Professor, wearing a black lab coat, stood in front of the mourners, steadied himself and began the eulogy.

'"It's my fault. I wanted him to follow logic, not the whimsy of his faerie heart.
If I'd taught him to embrace his fantastical side instead of doubting it, he would still be alive."

His voice cracked as trembling hands cleaned his spectacles and wiped a tear from his cheek.

"I'm sorry son,
I miss you."

Friends For Life

In a one room shack down by the tracks, Sam awaits Death.
Suddenly the door opens and Death enters.
"Deal," he says.
Sam lights a single candle then deals the cards.
"How come you always let me win?" Sam asks.
"You're the only friend I've got and the thought of you taking the dirt nap
creeps me out man," Death replies.

Sam wins again.
"Same time tomorrow?"
"Yup"
Death grins and leaves happy.

Pieter's Muse

There's a chasm in my soul where withered, clutching sticks curl round my heart and enjoin me;

Let me show you the sights I have seen.

I prepare my sables and oils. From His finger to my brush, Death guides my hand tonight and the strokes appear like slashes on a ham.

Inexhaustible it comes, an oily flow from the Abyss, numbing, embalming, replacing.

'What shall I call this one?'

The Triumph of Death.

Revenge of a Goddess

Skeletal, shrunken, racked with pain, the old man – so very old – wept.

The goddess watched. Long ago she had loved a mortal, had bargained with Zeus for one night when her touch would bring only pleasure, but the old man – young, then – had been jealous, letting them lie past cockcrow, past the limit of Zeus’s licence.

“Pity me; kill me,” the old man pleaded. “Touch me as you touched him.”

“One day,” Death said. “Perhaps.”

Last edited:

Even Valkyries Get the Blues

The two armies faced each other. Emissaries shook hands. It was tedious for a shieldmaiden. There'd be no fallen warriors joining the ranks of the Einherjar today, no matter the skalds' auguries.

I turned, to see Loki sat, grinning, on the hillside.

They said afterwards a housecarl drew his sword to kill a snake. I didn't care. I wheeled my horse to choose the first of the fallen for Valhalla. This was the death!

I Spoke Too Soon

As the echoes of my words fade, the air in front of me shimmers, turns to thick fog, and resolves into a huge man. His long grey cloak swaying, he steps forward.

He looms over me. “Who summoned me?” I see nothing beneath his cowl.

“Why would I summon Death? I begged for eternal life.”

He laughs. “Another fool casting spells before they’ve properly understood our language, its grammar.”

“Who are you?”

“I’m Mortality....”

King of the Dead

‘You fool!’ roared the Duke. ‘What have you done?’

‘Simply what you asked,’ the sorcerer replied.

‘They’re dead! All of them! Not a single soul left in the city!’

‘Yes, and…?’

‘I asked you to make me king!’

‘And now you are.’

‘I’m king of nothing, you idiot! Who am I to rule, if all my subjects are dead.’

‘Fear not, my lord.’ The sorcerer grinned. ‘They will return.’

Status
Not open for further replies.