Book with AI assistant brain implant

McDowall

I have been scouring the internet for the name of a science fiction book, but I can't remember enough details to find anything.

In the book, the characters have brain implants that allow them to instantly communicate with personal AI assistants. These assistants can look up information, remind you what happened at previous events or meeting, provide their opinion or advice, etc. The processing power of your AI assistant can be boosted and increased by adding expensive processing putty (or clay?) to your AI where ever their physical location is.

There is a part of the book where authorities track down and disable an AI that someone has concealed within a communication hub (they realize it's there because the amount of data entering and exiting the hub, which should be identical, is different).

There is also a part of the book where a space ship is crashing upon reentry with an important person aboard. This person's head is severed from the body during the crash and their helmet seals around their head so that there is a chance that the head survives the crash intact.

A race between opposing factions ensues to find the head of this important person.

Well, that's about all I have. I hope this rings a bell with someone else's memory.
Thanks

I'm afraid that embedded AI assistants are pretty common in sf. Can also think of ones where preserving the brain is used (though not with the space suit gizmo).
The whole finding the head thing is definitely not something I've read (sounds like a good plot).

Can you add any other details at all?

How long ago did you read it?
Was it a new book at the time?

Unfortunately, I can't remember anymore specific details. It was over ten years ago that I started reading it and I don't think I even finished the book at that time (and that's one of the reasons that it is itching at me so much).
Thanks though.

Banks's 'Culture' has environment suits that can decapitate the wearer at need and keep the brain alive. But what you describe doesn't sound like any of his.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
msstice Book Discussion 26
Karapace Promotions 0
Ambriel SFF Lounge 9
Harpo Book Discussion 1
autoretscriptor Publishing 5