Book about neural implants

yoshtov

I'm looking for a book published ca. 2006. The book concerns a future where people have functional computers embedded in their brains. Early on in the book, the author describes the subjective experience of powering-on such a neural implant. He describes it as though it was a third-eye in the forehead.

I don't remember the author. Morgan and Dick seem like likely candidates, but they haven't published anything remotely similar.

As a final bit of information, I seem to recall that the book's cover has a black-and-purple theme.

Sounds like a Peter F Hamilton?

Temporal Void had a purplish spaceship on the cover.

I remember something similar in Hamiltons Great North Road and The Reality Dysfunction.

There was a short story in ANALOG magazine at about the right time-- people had the implanted computers, and could upload memories from their brain to the implant, including the brain's "operating system..." the implant was faster than human thought. There were people who never backed up their implants, and when they crashed, they were effectively 'brainless,' and had to be taught from infancy, and became new persons...
An even older story had only gone as far as implanted computer interfaces (~smarphone level).
--Paul E Musselman

I know Phil Dick was a very clever guy, but publishing a novel 24 years after he died would be a bit too clever to accept.

Banks used neural implants. As does Richard Morgan, Peter Hamilton and a few others.

But I think what you're looking for is something I'm have trouble recalling myself. Those who had the implants could only hold so much in memory and had to 'download' every so often into a kind of memory pack they carried around with them. It was only for the wealthy - ordinary folks being unable to afford such.

I'll have a dig around in my records. If I find it I'll report back.

Steelyglint's plot points sound rather like Joe Haldeman's 'The Long Habit of Living', although I don't think it's what Yoshtov's after.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
msstice Book Discussion 26
Karapace Promotions 0
Ambriel SFF Lounge 9
Harpo Book Discussion 1
autoretscriptor Publishing 5