Writing groups

RMP

Not a morning person.
Hello all,

Last night was the inaugural session of a writing group I started and, well, I wholeheartedly encourage everyone to either join or start one!

It was incredibly helpful for my own writing, and really encouraging to meet up with folks in a similar position to talk writing. Suddenly writing doesn't feel like such a lonely task after all...

I was wondering, is anyone here in any similar groups? If so, how do you structure your meetings? Do you have any handy tips or advice for getting the most out of it?

Our old Brizzle does seem to have quite a few writing groups on the go in various corners and there's always demand for more :)

Hi RMP,

Depending on your goal there are some things you might want to keep in mind.

Writing groups can become like a social circle (more patting on the back, smiling and nodding with fewer moments of useful interaction.) So you need to keep it fresh. Always encouraging more membership and if there are other groups near you encourage members to try those other groups.

Also if you have a staff or group who help you and are editing your work or doing research then you already have one writing group. And if you've been at it for a while you might already have experience the phenomenon that happens when people get acquainted with your writing style. By this I mean that the quality begins to slip unconsciously. This is the same thing that will eventually happen in the group.

This is why it's insane for a writer and his 'staff' to think that they might exclude that final professional edit(because they certainly caught it all after the ten or more edits they've gone through). Those fresh extra sets of eyes will always find something.

Face time though beats corresponding through emails or whatever so I do love the local groups. Yet as with everything if not well moderated then several people will dominate the group and often to the extent of trying to get those extra sets of eyes without having to pay for them.

So starting your own group gives you great power, but with that comes responsibility.

Actually, I wouldn't rule out e-groups. I'm in one and I've found it terrific, esp. If you can't commit to regular times to attend and what not. I'm not sure I could have got anything better face to face (but it's a very good group!)

I think e-groups have real potential and can be done in a variety of formats. A mass skype chat, or a private forum. It's the same as a real life group, have rules and expectations.

I've attended a writing group for a couple of years, and would recommend it to anyone serious about their writing.

Being around other authors is always inspirational, but getting, and learning to give constructive feedback is an essential part of a writer's development.

Does Brev or anyone else care to recommend specific writing groups? Online ones, of course, as location-specific ones will be of limited interest.

Does Brev or anyone else care to recommend specific writing groups? Online ones, of course, as location-specific ones will be of limited interest.
The formal 'writing group' sites I've looked at online haven't really impressed me. However, I like the crowd here and know I can work with some of them. Perhaps find yourself a crit partner you can trust. If you get two or three of you, who can happily work together (and who will challenge each other to get better, at the same time being supportive of effort), then you have your writing group.

I wouldn't want a large group, but a small core would be fine. Thus far, I've got someone to share crits with. I'm looking for more to build a small group, but I'll take my time, as the right mix and the right fit is important.
Just my opinion, mind.

As Abernovo mentioned there's plenty of people here running small on-line groups. Swapping chapters for crit etc.

I found my group by scouting out community centres and local halls, and looking through the timetables of events/meetings. Often writing groups don't advertise, but they are there if you go looking. Luckily for me, there were several in my area, and I was able to find one that fitted well with my other commitments.