Vessel based "military" sci-fi

Thinking laterally, if one is interested in this subgenre, then it is well worth checking out the Aubrey Maturin novels by Patrick O'Brien. A beautifully literate, detailed series about a British Naval crew during the Napoleonic wars.
Analogous to the OPs original subject: a number of interesting characters in a small vessel over a number of adventures. The sailing itself is a chance for the personalities to interact and develop. The distant lands could be alien worlds.
Two of the books were sort of merged to make the story for the film Master and Commander starring Russell Crowe.

I see that someone has already mentioned Hornblower. Same vein but O'Brien is for grownups.

On that note Hit Mouse it might also be worth checking out John Birminghams World War 2.0. In a nut shell its a 21st century battle group that through a plot device finds itself scattered throughout the world during WW2 with different nations scrambling to adopt the technology. IT is increadibly well researched though and essentially charts an alternative WW2. Its not sci fi per se other than them finding themselves back there but it does read 'right'.

On that note Hit Mouse it might also be worth checking out John Birminghams World War 2.0. In a nut shell its a 21st century battle group that through a plot device finds itself scattered throughout the world during WW2 with different nations scrambling to adopt the technology. IT is increadibly well researched though and essentially charts an alternative WW2. Its not sci fi per se other than them finding themselves back there but it does read 'right'.

My vote for War World 2.0, the Axis of Time books, I think they're called. The author is amazing, and his writing style really makes you believe the subject. "A multi-nation naval fleet from 2020 is sent through a worm hole into 1942? Yeah, okay, I believe that."

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
The Bluestocking Killjoys 5
Magnus85 Promotions 1
C Critiques 1
C Critiques 4
C Critiques 2