Failed Roddenberry pilots released on DVD

SFF Chronicles News

6th October 2009 04:42 AM

David Allen

Gene Roddenberry is remembered for Star Trek of course, but there is so much more about his work that came about in time when science fiction was nothing like what we expect today.

However, one thing about him was that he had ideas and kept on churning them out, some even made it to become pilots and two of these are now being released on DVD.

The first is Genesis II (1973) this stars Alex Cord who wakes up 154 years into the future and yes, it is end of the world time.

This was rejected and so the pilot was reworked and returned as Planet Earth (1974) similar storyline but this time the lead role was played by John Saxon, it also featured Diana Muldaur (Dr Pulaski in Star Trek TNG) this was also rejected.

What is interesting is the lead character in both pilots is called Dylan Hunt, a name that would return in Andromeda.

:D Sorry if reviving an old thread is frowned upon. anyway, I remembered both these films, though I confabulated them into one. I recently watched both on amazon video. One had what I remembered as a subway train that traveled through a vacuum; that in front, with high pressure air behind, pushing it along. Or, so the sound effects suggested, anyway.

One had Roddenberry's revenge for all the conspicuously covered belly buttons in TOS, with the scantily clad woman having two of them.

I remember both theses films , for some reason, I also remember a third film. Given the time period and the realities of the era of television , its unlikely the network would have green lighted a series.

I saw the two on Prime, & learned of the third; but since It was not part of my youth, I decided against paying to see it now. So, they too the protagonist's name & used in in Gene R's Andromeda.