Pulp Sci-fi story, humanoid aliens with shapeshifting powers

looseleaf

I have been trying to track down this book for ages..

It was one of those classic pulp sci-fi novels it had a naked young woman on the cover with wings(??)

The title was something overblown...

The story was about a bored rich guy who meets/is chosen by this alien girl with special powers. She uses her powers to bypass his security systems.

They make love. Not sure if this is relevant but the book explicitly mentions she doesn't have any pubic hair (this must have been a strange concept back then).

She offers to teach him these powers.

During the training he accidentally taps into the Earth's magnetic field and unleashes a lightning bolt.

All this is part of some sort of test of the human race. The girl and her observers are surprised by the lightning bolt and they realise it is something they could have done as well but never thought of.

The girl gets "kidnapped" and to get her back the guy must make his way through a wilderness full of dangerous animals.

To do this he uses what he learned to shape shift into a "monster" with a deadly poison in a spike on his tail.

He makes progress but it is slow because the form requires a lot of energy to maintain he has to kill and eat often.

The observers are worried about this -they did not expect the guy to survive let alone succeed in the task.

Realising his progress was too slow the guy adopts another plan. Flying in the sky are these large supersonic bird/dinosaur things. The guy manages to capture/befriend one, makes his way to the destination and reaches the girl.

As you see I have a pretty clear idea of the story -I just don't remember the title.

Can anyone help?

If I'm not completely off line this is "Emergence" by David Palmer.

I don't think the heroine on the cover (Megonthalyä) has wings, but the monster looming over her (Peter Cory, mildly transformed for survival on a 'biologically active' planetary surface) definitely has.

Back