Robert J. Sawyer

tylenol4000

So what does everyone think of Robert J. Sawyer?

I ask because I see that he's been nominated/won many awards in the science-fiction world. I'v started reading him only recently, and really enjoy what I'v read so far. His writing is easy to read, which makes his books more accessible.

I heard him once being called the Canadian Michael Crichton. I think that's a good comparison. At some point Sawyer started writing more "mainstream" novels, and that's the point where he starts to resemble Michael Crichton. They both write in a rather simple voice, and write present-day thrillers about scientists (or am i mistaken about that?). But Sawyer seems to be more accepted as an SF writer. Has Crichton ever been nominated for a hugo, or a nebula? If he has, I don't think he got many.

.....(why am a talking about Michael Crichton?)...........

So yea, who here is a fan of Robert J. Sawyer? I'v read Frameshift; it wasn't great, but it also wasn't bad. But right now I'm about halfway through Flashforward and enjoying it VERY much. I'm thinking about reading Wake next. I'm looking for some recommendations. Which are his best books?

I read Flashforward as well. That is my only experience with him. I bought the book based on the premise I heard from the TV show and found I really enjoyed the book and gave up on the show 2 episodes in.

That being said, I am not much of a SF guy so while I may read him again some day, he is not on the top of my TBR pile.

From what I gather, Robert J. Sawyer is somewhat of a "mainstream" writer, at least in Canada. Think Michael Crichton.

Most of his novels take place in the present day. I think his writing would appeal to people who don't normally read SF.

Hmm. I've read (and enjoyed) his dinosaur (foreigner) and hominid books, and they are very definitely speculative fiction, no compromise. A little preachy at times, but that's par for the genre. Even if either of them could be 'present day' (we have no time reference for the Quintaglio ascention, and the neanderthal parallax takes place more or less in today's society) there is no classifying them as thrillers, or social commentary; unashamed speculative.

Great ideas, but awful prose and unconvincing characters.

So yeah, very much like Michael Crichton ;) Not as bad as Crichton or as downright juvenile and weird as Crichton was getting towards the end of his life, which is a plus.

I havn't had a chance to read too much of his work, but a friend of mine worked closely with him and still does I believe in a student/mentor capacity. Some of the premises of his books are very interesting, and I have heard him speak a few times and he is a very intelligent man. I wouldn't be surprised by the comparison to Michael Crichton. I read the first book in the Hominids series and it was well written, thought provoking and had a nice mix of action and speculation. I can't say I am a fan, just because I havn't read everything, but I do respect him.

I know he wrote more genre-ish stuff, like Starplex, earlier in his career.

I like his prose. It's simple and straight to the point. Although, sometimes in his books he'll stick in a paragraph where he just describes a character, what they're wearing, hair color etc. That to me kinda bugs me, because it seems kind of lazy. Not subtle at all, reminds me of high school english class when he does this. Otherwise I like him. Like i said above, he reminds me of Crichton, which is good. Except Sawyer's novels are more sci-fi on average.