Tyrion Lannister

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
I'm re-reading Game of Thrones and it's interesting to see a few things mentioned on that develop later in the books, not least the importance of the Red Priests in Pentos, mentioned when Dany is preparing to marry Drogo.

There's also a degree of foreshadowing arguably even in the early chapters, not least Cat noting that the eyes on the Winterfell weirwood have seen everything since Brandon the Builder, which appears to relate directly with Bran's later scenes.

And then there's this: the end of Jon's first POV chapter in Game of Thrones:

When he opened the door, the light from within threw his shadow clear across the yard, and for just a moment Tyrion Lannister stood tall as a king.

This to me reads as another example of foreshadowing. There's no reason for Jon to think Tyrion a king. Sympathetic to him to a degree, perhaps, but he still views the imp suspiciously.

So why would Jon think this? Interestingly, earlier in this chapter Jon has already thought that Robert doesn't look like a king, and that Jaime looks more like a king should.

And yet it is Tyrion who, for a moment, looks more of a king than any of them.

To me the only explanation is that it's a clear hint from GRRM that Tyrion Lannister will not simply sit on any throne - there is only the one at this point, and it is presumed Westeros will be reunited by the end of the series - and that it can only be the iron throne of Westeros.

I'd be tempted to dismiss this as simple appreciation for Tyrion's talents. I probably did reading before. But now - seeing foreshadowing more fully at the start - I think GRRM is trying to make a much bigger point, and we may presume it is otherwise because we don't have an end scene to reveal this as foreshadowing proper.

Have we discussed this before? If so, my apologies - it just really stood out for me on this reading, that's all. :)

When I read that sentence I thought it was a brilliant stroke. Foreshadowing for sure. Tyrion is my faviourite character. Reading Tyrion's chapters are the most fun, and he of course speaks Peter Dinklage's voice. :) I guess Tyrion is GRRM's most beloved character, hopefully he won't kill him and will let him sit on the iron throne eventually? If he kills Tyrion I don't know if I'd continue with the books!

definately foreshadowing of some sort.

Every once in a while I get the notion that Westeros will be split into 7 diferent kingdoms again, like it was before. while I don't think this will necessarily be the case, we have already had a "King in the North, and Tyrion IS married to Sansa, the last surviving Heir to Winterfel besides rickon, who is in uncertain circumstances. Tyrion might be the next King in the North, or the King of the Westerlands if he ever receives his birthright.

If not, than GRRM could just be saying that Tyrion may be as powerful as a king, if not a king in name.
I know it is in the show and I'm pretty sure it is in the books that Tywin says...
"Only a fool would believe that [king] Joffery is the most powerful man in the 7 kingdoms"

That matches perfectly Moqorro's dream.

"Dragons," Moqorro said in the Common Tongue of Westeros... "Dragons old and young, true and false, bright and dark. And you. A small man with a big shadow, snarling in the midst of all."

It could point to him eventually acting as Hand, much as his father did. And what did people say about who truly ruled while Tywin was Hand for Aerys? Further, I think that when he says that Joffrey isn't the most powerful man in Westeros he's making the none-too-subtle statement that he is and everyone knows it ... or should if they don't.

It could point to him eventually acting as Hand, much as his father did. And what did people say about who truly ruled while Tywin was Hand for Aerys? Further, I think that when he says that Joffrey isn't the most powerful man in Westeros he's making the none-too-subtle statement that he is and everyone knows it ... or should if they don't.

Oh he definately was. He was also making the point (to us) that being the king doesn't mean squat if youo don't know what you're doing.

Very interesting!

It is quite plausible that it is forshadowing of some sort. However, I do not think this is knowable for sure, at the present. However, I haven't read the books, so take my opinion with the grain of salt it deserves.

It could be that Tyrion's presence in some form is so impressive that appears larger and greater than his physical size.

Like many others, I do have Tyrion as my favourite character in the series. Fantastic portrayal, and very sympathetic. Even George loves him, I understand.

It is written in such a way that it could go either way, I think. George has the opportunity to make something of it later in the series, making it foreshadowing, but it is vague enough that it could also easily be ignored later on.
Time will tell, I guess!

Very interesting!

It is quite plausible that it is forshadowing of some sort. However, I do not think this is knowable for sure, at the present. However, I haven't read the books, so take my opinion with the grain of salt it deserves.

It could be that Tyrion's presence in some form is so impressive that appears larger and greater than his physical size.

Like many others, I do have Tyrion as my favourite character in the series. Fantastic portrayal, and very sympathetic. Even George loves him, I understand.

It is written in such a way that it could go either way, I think. George has the opportunity to make something of it later in the series, making it foreshadowing, but it is vague enough that it could also easily be ignored later on.
Time will tell, I guess!

If you haven't read the books... I would run from this forum before you catch more spoilers than you already have (ie Moqorro's dream).

I notice in a later Jon scene, Tyrion visits the wall and eats with the Lord Commander. Blind Aemon comments that Tyrion is a giant. Definitely sounds like foreshadowing being re-enforced here. As Tyrion is the most common POV character in the series I think GRRM was making his case right from the start.

When I read that sentence I thought it was a brilliant stroke. Foreshadowing for sure. Tyrion is my faviourite character. Reading Tyrion's chapters are the most fun, and he of course speaks Peter Dinklage's voice. :) I guess Tyrion is GRRM's most beloved character, hopefully he won't kill him and will let him sit on the iron throne eventually? If he kills Tyrion I don't know if I'd continue with the books!

Oh god, he's doomed. I think Martin kills his main and favorite characters just to keep his work challenging to himself.

It will be years before we know what happens though.

I do hope that Tyrion lives. Out of all the characters he is my favorite. I still have a sneaky suspicion that he and Bronn are going to storm the Eeryie and kill Littlefinger.

I think even though Martin loves him he'll kill him in the end because after all, Tyrion is a tragic figure. His death will be a major tearjerker, if he dies.

I do hope that Tyrion lives. Out of all the characters he is my favorite. I still have a sneaky suspicion that he and Bronn are going to storm the Eeryie and kill Littlefinger.

This comment got me curious. What leads you to your sneaking suspicion? I'm intrigued.

I think even though Martin loves him he'll kill him in the end because after all, Tyrion is a tragic figure. His death will be a major tearjerker, if he dies.

Some people will be upset if Daenerys dies and some will cry if Arya dies. But I believe that almost every reader will be heartbroken if Tyrion dies... Especially after he finds out that he's not a kinslayer.

If you recall during the first novel, when they are heading to the Eeryie to see Lady Lysa Aryn, Tyrion made the comment that "The Eeryie is impregnable", to which Bronn replied "Give me some good men and climbing hooks, I'll impregnate the bitch". That line has always stuck in the back of my mind. Bronn really is loyal to Tyrion, he owes him a lot when you think about it. The only reason why he didn't champion him during the 3rd novel was because he was certain he couldn't kill The Mountain and survive the fight. Tyrion will want revenge on Littlefinger because he will blame him for the framejob that was put on him after Joffrey's death.

So you have a mad Tyrion, wanting to get back at Littlefinger. So he gets Bronn and some Mercs to climb the rocks of the Eeryie and assault it while he leads a force at the gates. I would not be shocked at all if Timmet and the rest of the mountain men are the ones helping either.

My 2 cents...

Good catch Reivax.

Tyrion could also want to rescue his wife, with all that entails. Sansa would have a true knight! Then, there are also possibilities if there are some people riding dragons...