Vikings (TV series)

It's not known, but it's doubtful. The only "evidence" of human sacrifice is from the writings of Adam of Bremen, a Christian priest who traveled to Sweden and claimed there were human sacrifices at the holy grounds of Uppsala. But there is exactly ZERO archeological proof for this from excavations at Uppsala, and no evidence from rune stones or Icelandic sagas to suggest this occurred. In all likelihood, Adam of Bremen was just telling lurid stories to his fellow Christians back in Germany.

That said, the other form of human sacrifice featured in an earlier episode, where a slave girl is ceremonially killed so she could be buried with her master, is better established. The Arab historian Ibn Fadlan, who traveled extensively with the Rus (Swedish Vikings in present-day Russia and the Ukraine), wrote about this, and there are two instances of apparent archaeological evidence for this (one in Russia and one in Norway). However, even if true, it's not known how widespread the practice was or for how long it was practiced (and it couldn't have been that widespread, seeing how little evidence of it there is). But it's generally assumed to have been something that was done at least occasionally.

Thanks! I've been a part of this forum for years and the depth of knowledge around here continues to astound me.

I actually took an archeological course that focused on Nordic history around Viking age and i think the teachers, scholars would have mentioned if there were clear historical evidence for human sacrifice.

Yeah i saw in the first two eps that ironically History Channel has show that is too mythical, fictional about historical period like viking age, the way people lived then. Should be easy to make it more historically accurate if they wanted. More fiction than history is cheaper, easier way to write good drama like this.

Shame i wish this was historical realistic as say HBO Rome and then had good fiction story too.

Well, if anyone is going to suffer from withdrawal after the final episode this Sunday, you can watch the entire 1958 film with Kirk Douglas et al on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFes1Rl2l0Q

Or you can read about whether previous efforts to put such things on film were worthwhile (Outrageous price notwithstanding :rolleyes:):

http://www.amazon.com/dp/078646044X/?tag=brite-21

One might more fully appreciate the History Channel version of things by comparison. :D

Taking slaves? Slaughtering unarmed clerics? Ensuring that a down-and-out rival stays down by slashing his wrist? Sacrificing humans?

Wow! I knew that my Norwegian ancestors were bold and adventuresome, but I had no idea that they were quite so bloodthirsty. They're putting Minnesota's NFL team to shame.

I am loving this series. Historically accurate or not, it's highly entertaining television.

I've downloaded the Fever Ray opening credits ditty, “If I Had a Heart.” Sounds great on my car sound system.

There is no doubt that the opening song is absolutely spot on. I would sometimes watch the beginning of the show a second time just to hear that song.

Season 1 began airing on the National Broadcastern RTE in Ireland a couple of weeks ago. I have waited patiently for it since first reading about the show on these forums and it is not a disappointment. The cast is good, the scenes beautifully shot and the storyline is engaging.

The only bum note is the characterisation of Earl Haralsson. His type of tryannical rule just doesn't ring true for the period. An example is his killing of the blacksmith. It just would not have happened. A blacksmith would have been one of the most essential people in the settlement and not easily replaced.

If the main character is based on the Ragner Lothbrok of legend then his eldest son Bjorn is destined to be the first recorded King of Sweden with another son Ivarr the Boneless going on to rule as King of Dublin and I am sure another of Ragnar's sons became the King of York. If the series is following the storyline of that Ragnar Lothbrok then it has plenty of legs in it for a long running series.

Season 2 is about to start in the States. End of February I believe. I have looked forward to this for a long time. Not always so patiently.

Taking slaves? Slaughtering unarmed clerics? Ensuring that a down-and-out rival stays down by slashing his wrist? Sacrificing humans?

Wow! I knew that my Norwegian ancestors were bold and adventuresome, but I had no idea that they were quite so bloodthirsty.

FTR the human sacrifice thing probably never happened. The story comes from a Christian monk named Adam of Bremen who lived in Birka among Swedish Vikings. He was, of course, writing for a continental Christian audience, and many historians assume he was exaggerating the "savagery factor" for dramatic effect (like Marco Polo), as well as argue for the "moral superiority" of continental Christianity.

There are no Viking records of human sacrifices to the gods, and there is no archaeological evidence of it either.

There is, however, some very limited evidence for the ritual sacrifice of a female thrall (an indentured worker, often taken in battle or a duel, but who had more rights than slaves in other contexts) at the death of her master. Limited as in, there are a couple mentions in Viking records and one piece of archaeological evidence. It is not clear at all how widespread this practice was.

I think there are more records of human sacrifice amongst the Vikings than just Adam of Bremen and ibn Fadlan. Not too sure of the sources but I believe archaeological evidence at Uppsala backs Adam up and there are hints in Norse Sagas of the practice of human sacrifice. Again I will have to look it up because it is litterally decades since I last read about this stuff in any meaningful way.

I think there are more records of human sacrifice amongst the Vikings than just Adam of Bremen and ibn Fadlan. Not too sure of the sources but I believe archaeological evidence at Uppsala backs Adam up and there are hints in Norse Sagas of the practice of human sacrifice. Again I will have to look it up because it is litterally decades since I last read about this stuff in any meaningful way.

There is zero archaological evidence of human sacrifice at Gamla Uppsala--whereas there is plenty of evidence of the sacrifice of animals. The bodies taken from bogs in Denmark and elsewhere that indicate sacrifice are all from well before the Viking age.

There are also no Scandinavian written accounts in the sagas of human sacrifice, except for one from the Ynglinatal--which is a mytho-religious history of the kings of Sweden, and as such is very different from the rest of the Heimskringla and other sagas, which told of events that had been personally witnessed.

As far as written accounts by non-Scandinavians go, there is Adam of Bremen's account of the sacrifice at Gamla Uppsala and then there is Ibn Fadlan's account of the sacrifice of a thrall woman at the death of her master.

There is also the writings of Ahmad ibn Rustah from later in the 10th century who describes human sacrifice practiced by the Rus and he also mentions hanging as a method of sacrifice which backs up Adam of Bremens accounts.

There is also the writings of Ahmad ibn Rustah from later in the 10th century who describes human sacrifice practiced by the Rus and he also mentions hanging as a method of sacrifice which backs up Adam of Bremens accounts.

As far as I know, the only passage of Ibn Rustah about human sacrifice relates to the funeral of prominent figures--not to the religious sacrifices described by Adam of Bremen.

As I mentioned, there is archaeological evidence for this as well--the question that no one knows the answer to is how widespread the practice was, either over time or space.

I'm very much looking forwards to the second series. Whilst I wouldn't say that it has quite the charisma (if that's the correct word) of say Spartacus, it certainly is more than just a low budget cash in.

I'm also looking forwards to getting stuck into Black Sails, especially after just polishing off playing Assassins Creed: Black Flag.

Vikings are back and they are raiding Wessex this time. But this time there aren't as much mythology in the play as what there were in the first series. For example you would be hell bent on seeing shadowy figure of Odin standing at the banks of fjord, looking west towards the Britannia. However, you'll see Ragnar carrying a raven on his shoulder as he sets the sails, and crosses the Northsea during the winter storm to get flushed down past the Dower hills into channel of England.

Wessex is portrayed as a lovely lush countryside as it is, but I'm surprised they found that much of woods, when most of it has disappeared over the centuries. And I wouldn't be surprised if the shooting location is different than the south-west coast, where the raiders are this time.

I am quite surprised and delighted about the details History Channel producers have dropped into the this story, and I'm positively pleased about the story rolling fluidly forward. The Vikings is well put together series that I'd heartily recommend to anybody whose interested on the proper historical dramas. Also in the same time the Vikings presents something we have rarely seen in the small screen, as they have taken time and effort to prop up something that hasn't been hugely popular in the past. There just hasn't been anything but Sherwood forests or Camelot's knights, but now we have something that at least gives viewers a portrayal about what was it like with the 700 to 800 century Scandinavian culture.

I absolutely loved this one part in the most recent episode.

Spoiler

The King who Ragnar left behind (I can't remember the names either) goes to the Blind Wise Man to ask about his future after he has taken over Ragnar's lands in his absence. The Wise Man says he sees an eagle in his future, and he take this as a good sign,

They are telescoping a lot, but I've not seen medieval historical fiction yet that doesn't do that some.

Some of the series' battle sequences have looked like paintball contests gone wrong and the most recent episode pretty much reaches the epitome of blood-thirsty events. But who's complaining?;)

I will say that the battle scenes leave an awfully lot to be desired in terms of strategy and tactics. ........ But maybe that's the way they did it. Every man (woman) for himself in one on one combat. They were clearly not learning from the Greek insights if they were.

I will say that the battle scenes leave an awfully lot to be desired in terms of strategy and tactics. ........ But maybe that's the way they did it. Every man (woman) for himself in one on one combat. They were clearly not learning from the Greek insights if they were.

Its the dark middle ages in Europe where there were hardly the genius military tactics of ancient empires and between later time in Europe when there were powerful kingdsoms with knights, trained soldiers.

There must be some tactics since Vikings raided, conquered for centuries before their age, promince would be broken in 1066. I doubt they changed the history of most of Northern, western Europe by simple charging the enemy armies blindly. This is a tv show after all and bloody dumb action is more entertaining. Although in real world history they conquered mostly because the small kingdoms of Britain, Franks etc was small, weak.

Last edited: