Quick question about shadows

Beef

A grammar question for you:

Do objects cast shadows, or does the source of light? Is it incorrect to say "The torchlight cast long shadows"?

Cheers!

Light illuminates things by definition, so I'd say it's the object casting the shadow. You don't get shadows from torchlight unless there's an object in the way.

On the other hand objects don't create shadows in the absence of light!

Whatever the scientific accuracy, Beef, (and I'm a scientific ignoramus, so never listen to me on such things!) I don't think anyone would baulk at the line -- we'd understand it in context.

I agree with TJ that we understand what you mean, but also with amw about light not casting shadows. I would go with something more like "the torchlight made the shadows dance across the walls", or... You know... Something.

If the sentence doesn't feel right to you, perhaps the solution is to give it context.

'The old hangings cast eerie shadows in the torchlight.' Or some such.

That way, you have the object, the light source, and the effect.

The sentence as you have it would make me go "eh?" Kromanjon or Aber's solutions fix the problem for me.

Most...illuminating. Got it sorted, cheers everyone!

Most...illuminating. Got it sorted, cheers everyone!

Not so quick my young Padawan….

I’ve used dancing shadows for light before and it can add more. Without context I’m going to do some guessing and chuck some more descriptive words into the mix.

It’s a haunted house and the character is scared and in need of new underwear - The torchlight cast trembling shadows – not great, but adds fear/emotion into the mix – or it could just be cold!

Anyway the dancing/trembling all add depth and feel I think. Your line was correct, nothing wrong with it, just let the artist in you have freedom of expression once in a while.