Any Brian Lumley fans?

Not quite. I read quite a lot of his books, up to a point and then I stopped, but have to say that I did enjoy a lot of what I read.

There has been talks about Lumley and Necroscope in several of threads in this forum not so long ago.

There is also an old thread named Brian Lumley. Im a fan of the first Necroscope and havent read more yet. So i dont know if im a fan or not.

Simply put it is a man who can speak to the dead - called a Necroscope.

But there is more to it than that, and the addition of vampires to the mix makes it a lot more interesting and brutal. Lumley's vampires are most definitely not the.. uh nicer kind that have been seen over the last few years, they are genuine monsters.

Each book builds on what has gone before, giving more and more depth.

My pleasure.

I found the first five books to be superb, each one better than the last, while the follow up, Vampire Word (three books) were just as good.

I'm getting the itch to re-read - as if I did not have enough to read at the moment.

I have an odd relationship with Lumley's work. Having first come across him in Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos, I was initially interested in him simply as a Lovecraftian writer, which is problematical at times even within reference to his Lovecraft-related material.

As with Derleth, I feel that his work is very uneven. A lot of it I find to be at best pulp (in the at least ambivalent usage of that term); full of flaws and at times shoddy writing, yet often entertaining, and at times quite good.

With the Necroscope series... I found the first two (initially) very entertaining, but bogged down a bit with the third... i've not gone beyond that, though I own most of them (there may be a recent one I've missed). I still like much that is there, but am a good deal more critical than I was when younger, so am less taken with them than I once was.

On the other hand, in a recent rereading of some of his Lovecraftian material, I came out feeling a good deal more positive about things that I had initially quite disliked; largely because I was looking at Lumley himself, rather than through a Lovecraftian lens, and so was aware of other things he was doing with the material, some of which was quite entertaining in its own right (e.g., the obvious -- for those aware of the book -- nods in Beneath the Moors to Lloyd's Etidorpha, which I had not even heard of when I first read the book). Also the parodic elements of some of his stories of this sort, where he was, quite simply, having a good deal of fun with the tropes. As long as these are taken for what they are, they are often rather good things of their kind....

Wow, I am happy to return after a hiatus from the site, to finish my final essays for my semester, to see this feedback.

Mythos Omnibus was a fantastic series that speared off into a few standalones and another novella series that are all quite good. I think they are called the dreamscape series or something along those lines. They are more about the dream world though and moves away from the lovecraft / cthulhu work of the omnibus series. Still the same characters from the omnibus as well (Henri Laurent de Marigny and Titus Crow).

I loved Necroscope but I actually started from the second series. The second series works perfectly well without knowledge of the first series that started with the bestseller standalone book titled Necroscope.
Five books make up that first series with a mini series slotting between like the second and third books. Also Pereptual Man, if you enjoyed the first two series can I suggest The Lost Years, which is the mini-series title of those two books that slot into the eight years between those books.

Then the second series which are fat long books and only three in total. These three books still remain my favourites in all his work. Then a final three that started well but here is one of my biggest gripes with Lumley to date;
the final book in the final Necroscope series... I think was called the Touch... Anyway the book is about a new Necroscope but no vampires. After following the vampire stories in so much depth something like twelve previous books I was appalled he would just cut them out of that book entirely, considering it was the thirteenth and final book in such a long road I had traveled with him. BAH!
*disclaimer* by the way this is not a spoiler, this point is pretty clearly made on the blurb of the book.

I would honestly say no writer has influenced my own work as heavily as Lumley. His style of writing kept me glued to his work for many years of my life.

Last edited:
Well it's ... long. Good Vampire history, very logical yet it ends up off-planet and of course we need the good Necroscope to match the evil Vampires... so Harry, our hero, can talk to the dead - an obvious cool thing to be able to write about. That's where it starts. Its gory stuff, or was when it came out, and it goes on. I read it fast just to see how the super-vampires vs. the talker-to-the-dead thing worked out and it was rather long, with some very good shorter bits.

I did like the way he brought in the modern world and the Cold War as part of the story in some of his work, but generally found him just a little uneven for my tastes. Then again, I'm no great fan of horror so it has to be really good before I'll like it

I'm a big Lumley fan, from the Necroscope to his Titus Crow and Psychosphere books.

Its funny because I read the Necroscope saga, went off and got into Lovecraft, then come back to Lumley via his Cthulhu works. The author that just keeps giving lol :).

I found Titus Crow to a lot of fun to read.:)