July Photo Challenge -Discussion

hopewrites

Crochet Streamer
Welcome to the exciting month of July and its challenge discussion thread. Nursery Rhymes won the coin toss, and I'm stumped by my own cleverness, for now ;)

Please enjoy the beginning of the end of the year!

I stand in awe, over the "Nursery Rhymes" theme.

I caught a lot of flack over my April "All Fools" theme; though it eventually turned out to be a fine stimulus to creativity.

We're going to have to work for this one! I'm loving it, at the same time as I'm reeling for ideas.

at least I didnt ask for the verse that inspires the photos. I debated that one for a while, then decided it would be more fun not to ask for the verse in caption so that people could be more creative. Didnt want to make it impossible. ;)

I'm not going to be entering this challenge anymore. Sorry but it's gotten too daft for me. It's too similar to the writing challenge now. It's supposed to be about photography. Even the voting is odd. Go and check out the old roll of honour thread and have a look at the photos. We don't get pictures like that any more and it's sad.

/grump

Well, I sound like a proper misery guts, don't I! I was in a foul mood this morning.

I do think the theme's too... not narrow exactly, but off-putting, maybe? It's hard enough to get people involved as it is. Still, looking forwards to seeing what people come up with.

I'm not going to be entering this challenge anymore. Sorry but it's gotten too daft for me. It's too similar to the writing challenge now. It's supposed to be about photography. Even the voting is odd. Go and check out the old roll of honour thread and have a look at the photos. We don't get pictures like that any more and it's sad.
/grump

I observe with wonder every poll, and have to conclude that the voting more is a matter of taste for the motif, as in an affirmation of the peer’s own lifestyle/values - than a specific evaluation of the photographic and/or artistic qualities of the pics in question.

Let's see what the future brings :eek:.
Best from Anivid

/grump

I remember looking at some of the photos from before my time. They tended to be more artistic. There was one (sloweye's?) about water where the winner was a drop caught midflight on its way into a glass. I wouldn't know where to start with that. I think the people taking part before were more "keen amateur photographers" than us.

Well, I sound like a proper misery guts, don't I! I was in a foul mood this morning.

I do think the theme's too... not narrow exactly, but off-putting, maybe? It's hard enough to get people involved as it is. Still, looking forwards to seeing what people come up with.

Yup :D

I'm top blame for one awkward theme in the past (but you won it!). The scope this month is probably quite broad when you think about it.

The game is to stretch the boundaries of the theme and to find a unique angle.

Nursery Rhymes cover a wide variety of topics.

Now, where did I last see my runcible spoon? It's quite photogenic, I'm sure.

Funny that, I thought the challenge was to take the best photo. :rolleyes:

Alc, I get that we're amateur amateurs, but it'd be nice if everybody at least posted something that was in focus*, right? I'm afraid I'm with anivid on the voting.

And, like I said, it's a photography challenge! It's like that's been forgotten. The themes seem to be more and more like those in the writing challenges. I just don't get it.

And hope, none of this is aimed at you. I've been getting annoyed with the challenges for a while now. I know someone else dropped out with a similar reason and now I'm joining them.

*note, this is not a reference to anything posted in the last challenge.

Excuse me ??
And here I thought the "game" in a photographic contest was to seek an artistic representation of the theme in question.
As the old adage says: aim at the eagle, and you'll hit the tree tops - aim at the sun and you might hit the eagle.
Meaninhg don't flap around too low, cause you'll not reach higher than you aim, -- and more likely lower !!

And here I thought the "game" in a photographic contest was to seek an artistic representation of the theme in question.

Of course; but an unusual interpretation of the theme enhances the artistic nature of the shot.

When voting I tend to make allowances for shots taken with inexpensive equipment. It's a poor craftsman who blames the tools, of course; but a cheap digital camera is never going to produce crisp, quality photos. A photo can be artistic, without being technically excellent.

If we expect art-gallery quality photos, there will only be one or two entrants.

I'm not saying 'art gallery-quality' at all. And I take photos with my mobile phone and post them in the challenges myself. I've even tried to encourage other people to enter by saying you don't need a posh camera! Don't misunderstand what I'm saying. People should just try their best - I take several photos usually and some will be blurred so I'll not post them.

Agreed, Mouse.

And I think that a quirky theme encourages an interesting array of unusual interpretations.

It's my nature, anyway, to seek out alternative routes around any thorny problem; which is my interpretation of the word "Challenge."

Oh I'm definitely looking forwards to seeing people's entries!

I think this will be a challenging theme for me. Right now, I have only a couple of ideas, so I'm going to have to do some brainstorming.

I've been so out of the loop with these challenges. Which is a shame, because I've been joining in since its inception. Perhaps that's part of the problem -- it's been, what, three years and since then other challenges have popped up that are more directly in line with the site's intentions. Maybe a little bit of staleness has crept into the edges.

But just looking at the voting poll for last month, I'm really surprised by how many people are voting in the challenge. That's really good to see, because it was definitely petering off some around the time I stopped having time for the competition.

Part of the reason for that, my not having time -- and probably one thing that I do disagree with in terms of entries -- is because I always go out and purposefully look for a photo to take, or set one up. Anyone who was also around at the start of the competition knows that I once set a patch of my garden on fire trying to set up a photo for this and that's what made it fun (well, not the arson). Like the writing challenge it should be something created for the competition, not 'do I have a photo somewhere that fits this theme?'

My tuppence anyway, though I probably have been too out of it to make a proper comment on any aspects of the challenge recently.

Oh, but as a final note, as one who has been notorious for some crazy-hard themes, I don't mind them so much, but it was quite cool to get themes that appealed directly to photography such as macro, light, portrait, etc.

That's it as well. I referred to 'holiday snaps' a while ago. (Unless I just said it in my head?!) I always try to take at least one photo specially for the challenge. I think, hope, most people do.

Oh, but as a final note, as one who has been notorious for some crazy-hard themes, I don't mind them so much, but it was quite cool to get themes that appealed directly to photography such as macro, light, portrait, etc.

And damnit, Hoops, that's exactly what I was trying to say and you've come along and said it better in one post. :p

There have no doubt been instances where I have myself stuck in a cheeky older photo (and played around with it because when I have the option to edit a photo it's all "wheee, so many buttons!") but on the whole I really tried to get something purely for the challenge.

And heh, sorry. But that happens so often for me, it's nice to finally get one back :D