Revised 3000ths post critique...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vertigo

Mad Mountain Man
Supporter
...now down to a sylph-like 820 words (from 1033).

I have:
Reduced the crew size (in line with the Nostromo from Alien - thanks for that one Boneman)
Added in a bit more Sam stuff - not sure if that comes across naturally or forced.
Radically trimmed the shareholder and not finding life bits. On the shareholder bit I'm not happy with the flow/rythm of "...but that gave them all the right to a say in strategic decisions, if not tactical ones." It's that 'to a say' bit I'm not happy with.

Anyway see what you think. Hopefully it is a bit better :eek:

The galley was large enough to seat all six members of the Searcher’s crew. Just. And, arriving late, Sam Jennings had to do a bit of squeezing and shoving to establish a space for himself. Such formal meetings were rare in the course of a survey tour and, in the buzz of conversation around him, he could hear the ship’s rumour mill overflowing. Sam couldn’t be bothered; they’d know in a minute anyway. He was just glad he’d arrived before the Captain. Not that he’d have been bawled out but it would have been just plain embarrassing.

The arrival of Captain Jim Bell, brought an abrupt hush. He stood at the door, his steady gaze taking in all the crew, huddled as they were around the single table. He did not appear happy.

Sam stifled a yawn and caught the Captain looking at him with raised eyebrows and a wry smile. “I apologise for dragging some of you from your pits.”

As Sam muttered an apology, his ribs received a well aimed jab from Dave Smith. The Engineering Technician sat next to him was grinning with mischievous glee.

“Although we are now heading for home,” the Captain continued, “we are still under Operational Command. But I’m waiving that for now. We need a rapid decision and it’s strategic not tactical.”

Every crew member had invested in the Searcher, some more than others maybe, but that gave them all the right to a say in strategic decisions, if not tactical ones.

“It’s been a long haul and I know you’re all looking forward to home.”

That should have come with a smile, but no, and that worried Sam. He saw the same concern mirrored in the faces around him. It had been a long haul and Sam, for one, did not want it getting any longer.

“I’m sure rumours have been flying around since we picked up that the remote courier.” A few self-conscious chuckles ran through the assembly. “Well, those nice people at the Interstellar Survey Service have asked us to do a little detour.”

The deep tones of Pat Driscot, the Chief Engineer and oldest member of the crew, rose above the predictable grumble of protest. “No way, Captain. Six months out and they want us to do more. That might be all well and good on one of those luxury liners ISS call survey ships, but the Searcher, she just isn’t big enough for tours this long.”

“Pat, I sympathise and agree. However, they have only asked, they cannot command. We decide whether to accept the detour.” He paused. “The ISS astronomers have found an interesting new planet and they want us to take a look.”

“Excuse me, Captain,” Sam put in over the renewed babble of complaints, “we’ve used the last of our remote survey probes, our hold has no space for any more samples and we have no remote couriers left. Exactly what kind of survey do they expect us to achieve?”

“Yes, I know, Sam, and to be fair, so do ISS. They only want a preliminary survey, to establish exactly what’s needed for a full one. I know what you’re capable of with just the shipboard sensors, and the shuttle can be adapted. We’ll just have to make do with what we’ve got.

“They want results fast and we’re the closest.” He paused. “Their analysis suggests that this could be a fertile planet. A very fertile planet. They think it might even hold more life than Earth itself.”

“Oh, come on, Captain.” Smith protested from beside Sam. “How many times have they said that sort of thing? And how many times have they been right? Never. It’ll just be another wild goose chase.” Sam glanced at Smith. He had to agree; life, and indeed hospitable planets, had proved rather more elusive than people had hoped.

“Be that as it may, they’re the ones paying for the privilege of finding out. ISS will pay triple rates from now until we are docked back in Earth orbit.” That got their attention, Sam noticed. “In addition, assuming the boffins have got it right, there should be ample opportunities for discovery bonuses.”

As the Captain invited questions, Sam’s sleep-fuddled brain tuned out. It didn’t matter; he knew his shipmates well enough and knew what the outcome would be. He began mentally composing a message of apology to his family back home.

Later, as he wandered down the short corridors back to his cabin and, more importantly, his ‘pit’, he considered the implications of that decision for him. Joe Simkins, the science officer, was the Searcher’s astronomer and exoplanetologist, but he knew nothing about biology or botany. Not that Sam knew much more, but it was always him that was expected to fill the gaps. He began planning a study schedule for himself. For Sam, at least, it was going to be a busy trip to this new planet.

The galley was large enough to seat all six members of the Searcher’s crew. Just. And, arriving late, Sam Jennings had to do a bit of squeezing and shoving to establish a space for himself. Such formal meetings were rare in the course of a survey tour and, in the buzz of conversation around him, he could hear the ship’s rumour mill overflowing. Sam couldn’t be bothered; they’d know in a minute anyway. He was just glad he’d arrived before the Captain. Not that he’d have been bawled out but it would have been just plain embarrassing.

The arrival of Captain Jim Bell, brought an abrupt hush. He stood at the door, his steady gaze taking in all the crew, huddled as they were around the single table. He did not appear happy.

Sam stifled a yawn and caught the Captain looking at him with raised eyebrows and a wry smile. “I apologise for dragging some of you from your pits.”

As Sam muttered an apology, his ribs received a well aimed jab from Dave Smith. The Engineering Technician sat next to him was grinning with mischievous glee. [Personally, I'm not sure that you need these two lines. I think you probably added them to break up the captain's speech, but in my opinion it interrupts the flow]

Although we are now heading for home [Possible revision: "Although we're on our way home],” the Captain continued, “we are still under Operational Command. But I’m waiving that for now. We need a rapid decision and it’s strategic[,] not tactical.”

Every crew member had invested in the Searcher, some more than others[,] maybe, but that gave them all the right to a say in strategic decisions, if not tactical ones [This sentence seems off. I don't know why, and I'm not sure how to fix it].

“It’s been a long haul and I know you’re all looking forward to home.”

That should have come with a smile, but no, and that worried Sam. He saw the same concern mirrored in the faces around him. It had been a long haul and Sam, for one, did not [suggestion: he didn't] want it getting any longer.

“I’m sure rumours have been flying around since we picked up that the [probably just an accident] remote courier.” A few self-conscious chuckles ran through the assembly. “Well, those [personally, I'd use "the"] nice people at the Interstellar Survey Service have asked us to do [make?] a little detour.”

The deep tones of Pat Driscot, the Chief Engineer and oldest member of the crew, rose above the predictable grumble of protest. “No way, Captain. Six months out and they want us to do more. That might be all well and good on one of those luxury liners ISS call survey ships, but the Searcher, [Maybe consider using (...) here] she just isn’t big enough for tours this long.”

“Pat, I sympathise and agree. However, they have only asked, they cannot command [I don't think you need this line]. We decide whether to accept the detour.” He paused. “The ISS astronomers have found an interesting new planet and they want us to take a look.”

“Excuse me, Captain,” Sam put in over the renewed babble of complaints, “we’ve used the last of our remote survey probes, [I'd use a semicolon here] our hold has no space for any more samples and we have no remote couriers left. Exactly what kind of survey do they expect us to achieve?”

“Yes, I know, Sam, and to be fair, so do[es] ISS. They only want a preliminary survey, to establish exactly what’s needed for a full one. I know what you’re capable of with just the shipboard sensors, and the shuttle can be adapted. We’ll just have to make do with what we’ve got.

“They want results fast and we’re the closest.” He paused. “Their analysis suggests that this could be a fertile planet. A very fertile planet. They think it might even hold more life than Earth itself.”

“Oh, come on, Captain.” Smith protested from beside Sam. “How many times have they said that sort of thing? And how many times have they been right? Never. It’ll just be another wild goose chase.” Sam glanced at Smith. He had to agree; life, and indeed hospitable planets, had proved rather [you probably don't need 'rather' here] more elusive than people had hoped.

“Be that as it may, they’re the ones paying for the privilege of finding out. ISS will pay triple rates from now until we are docked back in Earth orbit.” That got their attention, Sam noticed. “In addition, assuming the boffins have got it right, there should be ample opportunities for discovery bonuses.”

As the Captain invited questions, Sam’s sleep-fuddled brain tuned out. It didn’t matter; he knew his shipmates well enough and knew what the outcome would be. He began mentally composing a message of apology to his family back home.

Later, as he wandered down the short corridors back to his cabin and, more importantly, his ‘pit’ [should be full quotations], he considered the implications of that decision for him. Joe Simkins, the science officer, was the Searcher’s astronomer and exoplanetologist, but he knew nothing about biology or botany. Not that Sam knew much more, but it was always him that was expected to fill the gaps. He began planning a study schedule for himself. For Sam, at least, it was going to be a busy trip to this new planet.

A definite improvement over last time. Good job!

Hey Vertigo, I thought the start was a bit stilted, but it seemed to find a rhythm nicely later on. Couple of nit-pick things:

On a ship the galley is the kitchen, not where people eat- it might be more likely to be a rec/dining room where they meet (though it can be right beside the galley, of course).

Try to avoid using characters’ full names to ‘introduce’ them. It’s too expository, and reminds readers too much of all the bad contemporary writing they’ve swallowed while stuck on long haul flights (“John Smith pulled up his red Saab 9000 and considered his reflection in the rear view mirror”, and so on). Refer to them the way the pov character does, whether nicknames or not. That is the way the reader should think of them too.

I think some introductory dialogue would fit nicely, something to hint at people’s names and so on. You can describe what they do by their appearance. Smith can have oily overalls, etc.

But like I said, these are story teething problems and no great shakes. Best of luck with it.

Thanks again Shane! Most of your points this time you have identified as maybe's; some I agree with, some I don't. Which is fine :)! The ISS do or does one I have a problem with, in that I'm pretty sure you are right, but I'm also pretty sure most people would say it wrong and it is dialogue.

However, gol-darn-it, this one:
the right to a say in strategic decisions, if not tactical ones [This sentence seems off. I don't know why, and I'm not sure how to fix it].
I agree completely with including not knowing how to fix it :D

I think you may well be right about that fourth paragraph which is exactly the sort of thing I was worried about in terms of putting more scene-setting Sam stuff in and it becoming forced.

Thanks!

Jake, Thanks!

The galley I wasn't sure about. But this is a very small ship with only 6 crew. I figured a large part of the cooking process would be "shove in the microwave", so I wasn't planning on a kitchen. I originally had 'mess' but I don't think people would call it that on such a small ship and dining room felt a bit too formal, again for such a small ship. I shall have to think on that some more.

Thanks for the comments on introducing names. I did feel it was a bit too formal; I had wondered about using first names in dialogue and second in narrative (I have seen this done) but I'm also not totally happy with that. However you are right, as it is it does come across a little like a script for formal introductions. Maybe I'll just go for first names and Captain, which is, after all, what I have usually found when I've been on small commercial boats (I used to work in the oil business).

I have to agree with Jake and a little more scene setting and character intro would have settled me the reader in. The elbow in ribs I think adds a nice bit of lightness. Not too much intro stuff of course, plot is needed to hook the reader in. I settled right into it halfway through and got to the end wanting to carry on! A lot smoother with just enough information not to blast me the reader. I know there is a lot of great info in that head of yours and I'm grateful for some of the sharing you have done on here, but drip it into your writing and keep a close eye on plot/pace.

There is nearly always a difference in word choice, and development, but it's your voice telling the story, and this time I found myself listening. Nice!

I think it's tons better, got drawn in. The galley is irking me, though, because it's in the first line, and it's not a galley - that's the cooking area. I agree mess is too big, though. Canteen? Or lounge? Although lounge is too relaxed, maybe.

A right to a say in strategic decisions, if not tactical ones.

I think you could drop the right to a, so just

A say in strategic - but not tactical - decisions.
(on another note, do we need to know? This is a strategic decision, they're feeding into that, if there isn't a tactical decision where they're overruled later, it's the strategic decision making approach we need to know?)

I agree with everyone else, Vertigo -- this is much better. Well done. I'd like a touch more business eg Sam getting himself a coffee before he sits down, someone else eating their dinner or whatever, but that's a minor thing.

I don't object to galley -- this is set in the future, so who knows how words may have slightly changed their definition in that time. After all, "kitchen" means the room where food is cooked, but I grew up in a house where we ate in the kitchen (not a kitchen diner, either -- we sat at the kitchen table where food was prepared, next to the sink and the stove... cue Hovis music...) and I imagine plenty of other people still do and no one ever says that is wrong and it has to be called something else. And here the food-preparation area is likely to be no more than a cupboard. If it's bothering you, though, how about galley-mess?

re the tactical/strategic, you don't need to repeat it as the Captain has set up the difference for us, so
Sam shook himself more awake. [a reaction shot here makes it clear this is important -- though you don't want to overdo them and have a reaction at each sentence, of course] Every crew member had invested in the Searcher, [some more than others maybe,] [unless it give them more votes or the difference is important later in the story, I'd leave this out] which [but that] [but sets up an opposition which there isn't here if the sub-clause is removed] gave them all the right to a say in purely strategic matters. [decisions, if not tactical ones.]
Re the dialogue, it reads to me as a touch (but only a touch) stilted. Try and relax a little and imagine these men/women actually talking, and say their lines out loud, as that might help fix them a little.

I agree with Jake over names, but it didn't worry me too much here. The only other thing I didn't like in the story is putting inverted commas around "pit". He wouldn't think of it in quotes, so I'd leave them off.

yeah, loads better - cuts to the chase quicker and more efficiently, and does hold the attention well. How about:

They all held shares in Searcher, some more than others, and that gave them a say in strategic decisions, if not tactical ones.

Thanks so much everyone, that's incredibly helpful. I shall try out those ideas but then I have to re-think a lot of other stuff, as reducing the crew size (which I think is works much better) changes a lot of other dynamics. From who does what to how the crew members interact with each other. I figure the smaller the crew the more informal they are likely to be.

The absolutely ONLY thing I could find wrong was this was that the Captain, (or any other boss) would put the Triple Pay FIRST...It would change the rest of the dialogue, of course, but that would give you a great opportunity for early character development, as some would want to go home, others make more money, and all of them really be more than a little conflicted, even in themselves.

Very realistically presented and believable dialogue otherwise. I can see the Captain, tired, but anxious for more money, which is the basic reason they're all there, yes?

Hi Vertigo. I really enjoyed reading this. I did read the original, but didn't get pulled into the story in the same way.

Every crew member had invested in the Searcher, some more than others maybe, but that gave them all the right to a say in strategic decisions, if not tactical ones.

This is the only bit that didn't feel right, and it's already been mentioned. I think, for me, it might be because I don't feel I'm being told this from Sam, more the writer.

Congratulations on your 3000th ... I see there's been a few posts since then.

Thanks Joan and Crystal. There's still a long way to go but it's reassuring to feel it's moving in the right directions!

As stated above I have learnt a lot from your kind critiques of my piece. I'm not looking for another critique here; the piece below is very much a first draft. However it is an alternative start to the same story. Most if not all of the action will take place on the surface so I thought I'd try starting much closer to that as was suggested by a couple of folks on the first thread.

As I say I'm not really after a critique of this piece but rather a quick feel as to whether you think this would make a better starting point. Sorry to be such a bother!

The main shuttle bay doors unlocked with a muffled but still unnerving clunk. The air had already been evacuated from the bay and the sound had reached Sam’s ears through the structure of the ship. He often wondered just how loud that clunk would be in normal air but he also trusted he would never get to find out.

He twisted around in his seat to contemplate the mess of survey equipment filling the rear of the shuttle. He wondered what they had forgotten; there was always something. They had sufficient fuel for only one descent to the planet’s surface and safe return. He eyed the bulk of the ‘mini’ refinery crammed into the back. If they had to take off before processing sufficient fuel then that was it, return to the surface would be impossible. Maybe they could locate a suitable icy asteroid and refine fuel from that. But weeks, maybe months, would be wasted, and by then it seemed likely the Interstellar Survey Service would have one of their own ships here. This once in a lifetime window of opportunity would be lost.

With a jolt the hydraulic launch platform began lifting the shuttle through the now fully open doors. Sam braced himself for the transition from weight to weightlessness as they cleared the Searcher’s artificial gravity field. He always found it nauseatingly unsettling to feel his feet still firmly planted on the deck as first his lungs and then stomach went into free fall. A quick check confirmed one of the time honoured sick-bags was within easy reach. He really hoped he wouldn’t need it; bag or no bag, vomiting in free fall was invariably messy. The hydraulic lift stopped with a second jolt. Bag unneeded, it still took Sam a couple of deliberate swallows to settle things.

Chris Dunmore swung around in the pilot’s seat and grinned broadly. “Everyone ready for the roller coaster?”

Clearly Chris was raring to go. To save fuel, once they hit atmosphere, the descent would be all gliding. Just like back at the beginning of the century, for Christ’s sake, thought Sam. Theoretically the shuttle was fully capable of it and, after hours of simulator practice, Chris was almost jumping up and down in her seat at the prospect of some real piloting. Sam felt rather less enthused. As did Joe from the look of him. Sat across from Sam, and just visible over the boxes of seismic and meteorological equipment, the science officer looked as unhappy, and queasy as Sam.

Dave Smith, on the other hand gave a whoop from behind Sam. “Go for it Chris, should be a hell of a ride.”

Chris turned to Sam and then Joe raising her eyebrows.

“Go on, let’s get it over with,” said Joe, “the sooner we’re down the better I’ll feel.”

“You and me both,” Sam concurred.

“Well thank you both—so much—for that vote of confidence.” Still grinning she turned back to her control panel and flicked on the main comm channel. “Captain, we’re ready for release.”

“Okay, clamps unlocked, on you go.” The Captain sounded tired over the shuttle speakers. Sam knew he wasn’t happy with such a narrow fuel margin, but needs must. “Mind, no fancy tricks, Chris. Just get down with as little fuss as possible.”

“Spoilsport!” shouted Dave.

“Cutting loose, now,” said Chris.

With a lurch the shuttle released from the pad and Chris eased clear of the Searcher on manoeuvring thrusters.

“Firing main engines.”

“Godspeed.” The Captain's reply was all but drowned out as the engines fired, killing the shuttle’s orbital speed. Ten seconds later peace returned and they began the long fall to the surface. Chris rotated the shuttle end for end, ready for entry to the atmosphere. Through his window Sam could now see the Searcher above them, its main engines also firing as the Captain started lifting up to geosynchronous orbit; once the shuttle was down he wanted unbroken comms with her.

Looking down the surface of Eden now filled the lower half of the window. Unimaginatively, though unanimously and appropriately named by the crew, Eden’s impossibly green surface invited them on.

To be honest, I think the first submission would be a better starting point. I believe it better introduces the characters, and you find out rather quickly where they are, where they're going, etc.

Ah well not to worry you've got to explore these things :)

Thanks for the honest response Crystal and Shane! I can still use it as a basis for when they do go to the surface but I can remove a lot of the info stuff from it!

I would prefer to older starting point as it introduced the crew and the reason why the ship was being diverted. This section could be the 2nd or 3rd section and for plot structure it would work just fine.

I’m not quite done with you, sorry dude. Old habits die hard it would seem. This section is a different part of the plot but with the same problems as the old section. The opening 4 to 5 paragraphs are heavy and are mostly telling, not easy to get through. But you have all the makings to break this up but you never used the opportunities when presented. A shuttle overloaded, Chris could have cracked a joke about how overloaded they seemed, or Sam could have worried about how heavy the ship was. He could have felt excited, getting ready to take the shuttle out etc. The opportunities to use dialogue/internal thoughts (paragraph 3 does have thoughts, but was a little overworked, sorry mate) to break up the heavy info dumpish sections.

Once passed these opening paragraphs and dialogue kicks in and it pulls me in. Raised eyebrows, little jokes, it’s all there and reads wonderfully. You have all the information a SciFi fan like me wants when reading, and I have no doubt it’s accurate. But you don’t need to give it to me all at once and, trust me a little, I know a thing or two myself about this stuff and I don’t need detailed, detail (well, not all the time but some is nice – I know, I’m a fussy bu**er).

Keep your characters to the fore (which you do well), drip the info in. Every SciFi member has the same problem, we have to explain things while a crappy old fantasy sword, is still just a sword.

I’ll put my soapbox away again now, laters.

No thank you, Judge, I used google for your swords.

Not usually an option for made up spaceships. However I accept the point you made, especially when made with pointy things!

Status
Not open for further replies.