Discussion -- 75 Word Challenge -- May

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, this is the 11th hour for me. Never posted so late, but rarely have been so stymied for an idea. But I think I'm in the pink now. :D

Well, there are a lot of good ones in here. Should be interesting. Good work everyone.

Okay guys and girls, I'm on nights as the deadline passes so good luck everyone

the challenge is supposed to be generating an idea and pruning it down until it fits within word limitations, not how to recycle old material
Er...

I had ideas for a silly story (superhero and underpants), an already-taken story (colour as language) and a sophisticated story (chess) and couldn't get any of them to work. So I recycled a short story which was all about colour. A 3,300 word short story. I had to prune it a bit.

Mine was based on idea I had when I was about 14, after reading an X-Men comic. I originally wrote it out at 900 words. But I don't think it's an apporach I'll take again, it's really difficult to compress the idea so much and keep it comprehensible, and real life is eating my time at the moment.

Phew! :)
That is the latest I have ever posted, and it wasn't so much as waiting until the last minute as only just finishing it. With the 300 word voting taking the start of the month I seem to have just sneaked in before the bell. It probably could have done with more work, but I'm quite pleased with it :)
Now to get a-voting :D

Well, there are a lot of good ones in here. Should be interesting. Good work everyone.

Yes, couldn't put it better. Good work everyone :). Excellent effort all round...I sense another closely fought vote.

Mine is still at 81 words. (To be fair, I wrote it in some of the ad breaks during NCIS on 5+1. And I was watching that channel because I'd been watching Lewis on ITV1. All of which may - very, very vaguely - suggest my inspiration, if that's the right word.)

And I still need to do some Internet research. (The first draft was written on a PC at a place with no Internet access.)

Busy, busy, busy....

Trying to get these in before voting starts. sorry if they are not as expressive as my usual, been sick the last few days. Writing them was an enjoyable way to keep my "I cant sleep any more DO SOMETHING" brain from driving me out of the house into something foolish that would retard my recovery.
:) more on the way.

Karn Maeshalanadae: I bet the jackalopes were happy… Sorry only one thing comes to mind when I encounter heliotrope, and it involves happy jackalopes.

JohnyJet: and I thought Dr Suese had problems… at least he didn’t have a mad dad who turned bad.

Ratsy: ohhhhhhhhhhhh that’s kind of sad! But in a fairytale world where everything is bright and beautiful, what else would someone with only a grey out look find.

StarBeast: is that why the only encounters we have on record with aliens now are so weird? They’re all newlyweds? Well, that explains a lot actually.

Aun Doorback: Confidence… not always one’s best friend eh? Fantastic descriptors, it always creeps me out when approaching insects leer at me with quivering mouthparts.

Scott R Forshaw: oh what fun word play! If he can be half so witty as you, and he were my husband, I would forgive him for it.

Bob S. Sr. : oh mysterious twist at the end! I love it. Also love the imagery of a purple sky illuminated only by occasional lightning flashes. What you painted there for me made me wish my imagination had a camera.

Brev: team voodoo? And no one found that suspicious? Nice use of light waves as weapons technologies.

Paranoid Marvin: oh *shiver* delightful as your poetry always is this, I feel, is one of your best! A warning, I fear, only the converted will hear, and few know how to heed. The cadence has a marching feel and I can easily hear a massive “robot” army chanting it as they decimate what ever foes they are pitted against. Definitely paints a drab future. Well done, I say. Well done indeed.

Tisiphone: Beautiful imagery here as well. I have met a few sunshine smiles in my life and there is little I wouldn’t do for them.

Chrispenycate: that would have been good to know earlier, tone deaf… well I liked your thrilling instruments and the idea that light can trigger a magic show of sound.

TheDustyZebra: ouch! Drastic relief is right… at least Jesse knows he is going to a good cause right? Not like those who draw a soylent-green-card, that would have been poor taste… ;)

Perpetual Man: now here is tragedy! Yet if someone who could have enjoyed the beauty of what General Starr was up against had been there, they might not have come home to be decorated. The commonality of this perspective, in my experience, leads me to cherish my colored view of the world even more.

Highlander: definitely leaves me with chills… perfect pacing and the detached voice really brings home to me the terror of the situation, like the narrator is already trying to block out what is happening before it can imbed itself in memory and become the stuff of nightmares.

High Eight: hope never was so slimy. Nicely done. J

Alex: 2001 meets Alice in wonderland? I’d rather have a high caterpillar than a computer with a complex… still, it makes one think…

Research at this late hour?

Very necessary research, as it happens. The Old Memory is not what it was. And what I discovered (but should have already known) saved me a few words, enough that I could add a couple more and go below the limit. (And for those who know the inspiration, my earlier version would have been risible in its lack of attention to (at least one) detail.)

Anywho, it's now been posted. :)

I've just voted. This was a hard challenge so first I'd like to say well done to everyone who posted something this month. I found it hard to pick just one to vote for, especially considering the amount of talented people on this forum.

Anyway, my shortlisted stories are:- Harebrain's Victory, The spurring Plattys For display purposes only and The Dusty Zebra's Dye Lot.

I loved all three of these and picking one to vote for was hard. In the end I chose the one that actually made me laugh out loud when I read it on the bus.

My vote goes to.... ( Insert drum roll here): For Display Purposes Only by TSP

Shortlist: Springs, Hex, The Dusty Zebra, Culhwch, Hopewrites, Grizzgreen.

Vote: The Spurring Platty, because who doesn't like a good accidentally-aroused-alien story? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.