Sharing Blurbs With Other Authors

JandenHale

Litus of the Red Helm
Author of Everwind, a dark sci-fi series of post-a
I know there are other authors on here and since I'm new here I thought I'd pose this question. I have a large, large network of writers throughout facebook, twitter, and other forums, but my latest works are more sci-fi and fantasy than what my up-until-now colleagues are.

I could easily ask them for blurbs on my stories, but I thought it would be cooler and more relevant to find other indie or established sci-fi writers. This would also serve to promote their works as well. And then I could return the favor for their works. Has anyone already proposed this here? It's kind of self-promoting, and I'm not sure what the rules are, but surely there's an appropriate place to advertise your willingness to trade services like this?

It's kind of self-promoting, and I'm not sure what the rules are...
The rules are: "Don't". :p Established members are welcome to let us know their successes. What is the definition of established member you ask? How long is a piece of string...? ;)

... but surely there's an appropriate place to advertise your willingness to trade services like this?
Not on here.

And without wishing to sound too much holier-than-thou, I would personally question the integrity of someone who was willing to give a good blurb for someone's book simply because that someone had given a blurb for his. If a person whose opinion is worth having is willing to say something pleasant, all well and good, but as soon as quid pro quo enters into it, the value of the blurb must be questioned.

I would be inclined to agree with you there. But the question, my question, is how does a self-published author get blurbs? And rather than be all about the quid pro quo, I simply would feel selfish asking for blurbs from people without at least offering the same service in return. This question could probably apply to any aspect of marketing. How does one get interviewed? How does a site that does interviews or reviews go about making a call for submissions? Or give you the option to check out their site to see if that's a place you might consider?

I understand that the rules are there to prevent spam and to keep people from taking advantage of the site, but as you said, how long is a piece of string?

Use Google or any other search engine. You'll find a number of sites that are willing to interview or review self-published authors. Contact a lot of them and some of them will write back. Offer them review copies. Offer a few copies as prizes in a drawing.

Join Shelfari and Goodreads. Look around. You will find some areas devoted to writers, where you can offer copies for review.

There are plenty of places that will help you promote your book. Here, we only allow that sort of thing to people who have been around for a while and made a significant contribution by joining in the discussions on these forums.

But the question, my question, is how does a self-published author get blurbs?
By writing a genuinely good book and selling a few copies! I admire your approach to self-publishing and marketing, but don't forget that a blurb only has value if the prospective reader a) knows of, and b) respects the opinion of, the person writing the blurb.

Of course, if you have written a genuinely good book, there is every chance that you can get a traditional deal and thereby tap in to your publisher's and/or agent's networks of cronies and chums.

Regards,

Peter

After a couple of recent fiascos, I'll never trust another author blurb, even if I like that author. As your own approach to getting them shows, they're meaningless, and hopefully more people will come to realise that. (Not that I blame you for trying to get them.)

In the end its just another marketing ploy to get people to buy the books, I usually don't take the blurb seriously. - Although I often am curious when I see a popular author name tagged at the end of it, but no, what the blurb says is usually meaningless to me as well.

From what I understood of how it works, the agent is the one that secures blurbs for you, but of course, with self-publishing you don't have that option. Which just brings you back to what Peter suggested.

Thanks guys, I've gotten similar answers from a few of my more prolific writer friends, who basically said they're mostly for bookstores. I don't really care much about accolades or thinking they would help sell more of my own stuff. I think I just wanted to help cross-promote some other people. I would rather have the potential in place for one of my readers to go get someone else's work than to have nothing there at all.

You know, this gives me an idea actually. Instead of having other authors blurb my book, why don't I blurb their books in mine? Then my readers, if they like my stuff, can check out the recommendations I give on the other books. What do you guys think of that idea?

You know, this gives me an idea actually. Instead of having other authors blurb my book, why don't I blurb their books in mine? Then my readers, if they like my stuff, can check out the recommendations I give on the other books. What do you guys think of that idea?

Could be a poisoned chalice. If you don't write well (and I hasten to add that I have no idea whether you do or not), your readers may see your endorsement of other books as an active turn-off. Others simply wouldn't care - after all, if you can't write, what value does your recommendation carry?

If you write well, I suppose it might well encourage readers to look up your recommendations. Although it all sounds a bit authonomy* to me.

Regards,

Peter

* A bearpit masquerading as a writers' website in which hordes of broadly talentless hopefuls schmooze, trash-talk and generally defaecate on one another in the hope of getting some downtrodden wage slave in Harper Collins to look at their magnum opus.

From what I understood of how it works, the agent is the one that secures blurbs for you

Not necessarily. All my blurbs have been obtained through me contacting authors and asking nicely. Publishers and agents may have more clout, and some authors prefer to be contacted via their agent, but on the other hand you're more likely to get a yes from people you know personally.

For the blurbs I've had for my novels, in most cases I'd actually already met the author in question, as I've been going to the more literary SFF cons for about three years. Of the others, one was from a favourite author (Lynn Flewelling) with whom I'd already been chatting on Twitter, and another from a recent debut author (Doug Hulick) whom I'd also got to know online after enjoying his book.

Of course it's different for me, being commercially published, as other commercially published authors a) assume your book must be halfway decent and b) may reasonably feel they're getting a wee bit of promo themselves by their name appearing on your book. There's not really any mileage in them doing the same for a self-published author, and to be blunt, I'm not sure there's really any advantage to the SP writer to get another unknown SP author to blurb their book.

...there is every chance that you can get a traditional deal and thereby tap in to your publisher's and/or agent's networks of cronies and chums.
And then there's a chance you might get a mention in Private Eye's annual logrolling awards. (Only a very small chance, mind you. The mentions are for experienced practioners of the art.)

A number of blurbs/comments on books are from reviews in mags, ezines and newspapers, so it is not always authors' scratching each others' backs. Ok the publisher choses which to use, but they are from published reviews.

Could be a poisoned chalice. If you don't write well (and I hasten to add that I have no idea whether you do or not), your readers may see your endorsement of other books as an active turn-off. Others simply wouldn't care - after all, if you can't write, what value does your recommendation carry? If you write well, I suppose it might well encourage readers to look up your recommendations. Although it all sounds a bit authonomy* to me.

I guess if I don't write well and they don't read the recommendations, then nothing has changed. It would be like they weren't there at all. But then there is the chance that someone becomes intrigued by what I said about someone else's story, which is a risk I'm willing to take. Lastly - and I'm not saying this as a cop out, just an observation - I think others have shown that you don't really need to write well to sell well.

Teresa Edgerton said:
I can only speak about the American publishing houses I've worked with, but in my experience it has always been the editor.

Thank you, that's actually what I meant.

Anne Lyle said:
For the blurbs I've had for my novels, in most cases I'd actually already met the author in question, as I've been going to the more literary SFF cons for about three years. Of the others, one was from a favourite author (Lynn Flewelling) with whom I'd already been chatting on Twitter, and another from a recent debut author (Doug Hulick) whom I'd also got to know online after enjoying his book.
Yeah, this is what I had planned on. I know some people whose names *may* carry some weight, but they are not sci-fi. That's one of the reasons I came here. To find new friends, learn new things, etc. etc. All's I can say about the Chrons is it's awesome. Great community of people here. I'm glad I came. :)

Back