Tech explanation in Young Adult SF Story?

DaVince

How important is it to give explanations of how the technology works in YA?

As far as I've read, in YA books there aren't as much attention towards how, for example a hover craft functions. Is it enough to just say its a hover craft? And thats it?

Unless the HOW something works is really relevant to the story, then you can ignore it. Same for YA as adult.

I think the less amount of detail given the better. Only include what is absolutely needed. With some exceptions, both YA and adult readers don't want to be bogged down with details, they just want the story with enough background to be immersed in the world and find it believable.

EDIT: Oh, and welcome to the SFF Chronicles! :)

Some adult SF readers adore the gadgets and details. Any teenager who wants to read about the gadgets and details is reading adult books anyway.

I agree that you should keep the explanations to a minimum in YA fiction.

I join in the welcome. I hope you find our writing forums useful in other ways, too.

I think the only time you need to explain a gadget or a piece of technology is if you created it for the story or it's a vital centerpiece to your story. And even then, you only need to explain the concept. I think the percentage of readers who are looking for a technical manual - YA or adult or anything - is extremely small.

IMHO, there's nothing to stop you dropping hints such as mentioning the engine revs rising, the lift fan spooling up, the 'skirt' filling, the craft lifting by a foot or so...

Back