A Game of Thrones - NO SPOILERS, PLEASE

Ursa major

Bearly Believable
Staff member
Supporter
This thread is for people who have read no further than the end of A Game of Thrones to discuss that book without the fear of spoilers from later books "informing" the conversation.

(If you have read any of the later books, feel free to join in, but keep your posts limited to information found only in A Game of Thrones.)

Last edited:
Umm...as far as the "No spoilers, please" tag goes, I'll assume it refers to no spoilers from later books, right?

It took me about 4 years to read this book, if it wasn't for the TV show I would never have finished it. I like the prose and the characters, what I didn't like was the lack of fantasy traits like action, adventure and sword fighting and magic. There was a skirmish here and there but it seems that it's easier to outwit your opponent instead of try and hack them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Umm...as far as the "No spoilers, please" tag goes, I'll assume it refers to no spoilers from later books, right?
Yes.

It's one of a series of threads, one for each published book in the series, where discussion should be restricted to information in that book (and, if there are any, it's predecessors), but not from later books.

If you have later books, but not all of them, and wish to discuss events up to that point, this stickied thread will help you find the appropriate thread in which to make your comments and have your discussions.

I just began these books this week. I'm half-way through A Game of Thrones. The lack of action, with a more witty, political approach, is actually not to bad. I'm enjoying it so far. It's a nice change from the Wheel of Time series; which I recently gave up on four books in. Too many books, not enough time.

I just began these books this week. I'm half-way through A Game of Thrones. The lack of action, with a more witty, political approach, is actually not to bad. I'm enjoying it so far. It's a nice change from the Wheel of Time series; which I recently gave up on four books in. Too many books, not enough time.
Welcome to the forum :)

If you like the book now you're going to be in love with it by the time you're done.

GRRM grabbed my attention when the first shocking moment occurred. And he sold me on the series when the BIG shocking moment happened.

GRRM grabbed my attention when the first shocking moment occurred. And he sold me on the series when the BIG shocking moment happened.

first shocking moment = Bran's fall?
BIG shoking moment = Ned's head?

Just started to re- read this first dany chapter, it said Rhagar died for the woman he loved. I though that was rather strange for a dany chapter?

I rather enjoyed the games of throne.
I am saddened by Ned's death.
I thought the first book was a good start to the series.

I finally finished "A Game of Thrones". I found myself increasingly absorbed in the story because of the world-building and character development. However, I find I can't fully relate to any given character and it isn't a world I would want to live in. When I read fantasy, I like to put myself in place of the characters or with them, to feel I am "adventuring" with them, and be truly caught up in the story. But the world of Game of Thrones is a harsh one and I wouldn't feel safe or comfortable anywhere in it. This is a turn-off to me, but the story is well-written enough that I probably will continue the series.

I didn't really find Ned's death shocking. It was clear from the time he agreed to be Robert's Hand that things weren't going well. I think it's like being pushed into a job that ends up being a toxic work environment. Ned was a good man but naive, and wasn't able to "learn the ropes" quickly enough for his own survival. For most people a worst case scenario at such a job is being fired. But Ned had no way out.

"A Game of Thrones" is a bit unsettling, not just in the amount of violence in the story, but it doesn't wrap up neatly. But then, that is why it is the start of a series.

Back