The Winds of Winter publishing date guesses?

@Koopa Reading your post, I thought... if Jaime died while foiling Aerys' scheme to burn KL, then he'd be remembered like Arthur Dayne, Danny Flint, and Arryk and Erryk... a hero who died young because of an oath.

GRRM posted this on February 23…

“…I want to return to Morocco, Granada, Seville, Toledo, Madrid, Barcelona, and Asturias as well… oh, and to Portugal too. Lisbon and Porto are amazing.

But not until I finish WINDS OF WINTER.”

A grand European (and North African) tour to celebrate the achievement! Probably he would be roped into a lot of book signings.

I would just like to point out that I have 48 posts in this thread alone. And in none of them have I actually postulated a date for TWOW. I think that’s cause I was burned so badly regarding my estimates for ADWD.

The first couple of pages on this thread makes for a kind of fascinating black-humour comedy now. Lot's of 2013-2014 suggestions, some "but realistically not until 2015" thoughts and no-one more pessimistic than 2016...
The reality is surely clear, isn't it?

George posted five days ago.

Here's the blurb regarding TWOW:

And, yes, yes, of course, I’ve been working on WINDS OF WINTER. Almost every day. Writing, rewriting, editing, writing some more. Making steady progress. Not as fast as I would like.. .certainly not as fast as YOU would like… but progress nonetheless.

I think I've mentioned previously, but I do wonder how much of Martin's book was actually in those last 2-3 panned seasons of GoT. Would the tv producers have veered so substantially from the author's vision? And surely he would have been consulted before they were made.

If it was indeed the case that those last seasons were exactly the way that his novel was going to go, that would not only take a whole load of re-writing, but also re-thinking. And knowing now the amount of criticism levelled at the tv series producers, does he really need the same grief himself?

We've gone past the point of excitement for the book, for some of us we're almost past the apathy stage, and eventually we will all come to the acceptance that WoW isn't going to happen.

Probably.

Considering the differences in the quality of the script before and from season 6 on (or 7?) I am inclined to think that, even if the author's vision was included in the final seasons, it could still make a huge difference. Knowing some key plot points is not the same as writing a captivating or enthralling script. As the final seasons embarrassingly made clear.
TV producers produce, creative writing of quality is something entirely else. Also, watching a TV-show or reading a book is a not the same experience.

Gentelmen, I cannot evaluate Martin's comments to any level of accuracy. I just pass on what I see on his blog.

Today's post...

He's been in London on business... HotD.... and working on his own stage production, The Iron Throne.

The comment on TWOW is an aside in parentheses...

(I had originally planned to visit there months ago, but the WGA strike put an end to that, and instead I stayed here in Santa Fe, working on WINDS OF WINTER and walking a picket line).

The bottom line is that there is no new news.

The intriguing thing is that while I have moved to Kansas and willfully disengaged from most every cultural development since 2000, that I find out that Neil Gaiman's book The Ocean at the End of the Lane is a stage production in London. I thought Ocean was an excellent story...

11 October — 25 November 2023
This show has now ended
Well you could have mentioned it earlier!

Without going too far OT, there are some good plays in small theatres in London that are not very well advertised.

As for Winds of Winter -
I stayed here in Santa Fe, working on WINDS OF WINTER
So, he is still "working on Winds of Winter" even if that is just one sentence per week.

GRRM said:
(I had originally planned to visit there months ago, but the WGA strike put an end to that, and instead I stayed here in Santa Fe, working on WINDS OF WINTER and walking a picket line).

The sad thing is that he makes working on Winds of Winter sound like the last thing he's interested in doing, and pretty much forced to focus on by circumstance.

As someone who has written and finished an epic fantasy series which will probably never see publication, I have somewhat mixed feelings about Mr Martin right now.

The sad thing is that he makes working on Winds of Winter sound like the last thing he's interested in doing, and pretty much forced to focus on by circumstance.
I've long suspected that GRRM is simply tired of Westeros at this point. It's been much of his career for over two decades now and he seems like he wants to move on to something else.

But of course, people are still waiting for him to actually finish his story and won't stop nagging him about it (quite fairly so, I might add).

And, yes, yes, of course, I’ve been working on WINDS OF WINTER. Almost every day. Writing, rewriting, editing, writing some more. Making steady progress. Not as fast as I would like.. .certainly not as fast as YOU would like… but progress nonetheless.

Martin posted again today... unfortunately the above comments (the last comments) on TWOW were from July. It was difficult, this year like every year, to not post on April 1 that he's finished.