From Interview - Page 40 - 487 words

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctg

weaver of the unseen
I have long stretched of silent narrative from Jane's PoV ending with dialogue with Herbert (in the next chapter break), and I'm wondering if the readers would see this as a "wall of text"?

Note, that Jane is narrating from a perspective were she's fighting against the zombifaction virus.

It was my duty. Nobody else. I had to get out from this mess, and I couldn’t count that the Authorities were going to offer me any sort of vaccination, but quite opposite as they certainly would try to put me down. So as soon as I realised that, I did head towards the door, but I didn’t get too far before I understood that my current state of mind wasn’t going to last forever. At least, not for a long enough to give a fighting change to the old virus of mine.

So I rushed back in and grabbed as many bags as I could before I turned around and went out the same way I had come back in. At the corridor, I watched how some dead were moving towards the fighting, while few others were finishing their first meal. And I knew I couldn’t be following their doings. I couldn’t go out through the front or even the backdoor, but to use the old escape plan I had scouted long time ago.

What it was, I couldn’t remember exactly. And the only thing I could remember was that it was somewhere in a hot, noisy and dusty place. But I was in the middle of the hospital, where such a places were as uncommon as the dead that were now walking in its corridors.

Think, I said to myself.

It didn’t work. Not straight away anyway. However, what worked was my instinct that said to hide in the darkest, farthest corner possible. I head down the corridor, away from the noises, from the dead, but further I went, more evidence I saw from the walkers. It was almost as if they mindlessly, almost chaotically were searching the hospital for anything that was living. They didn’t spear closets, half lit corridors, unused storage rooms, anything. But in a way, by following their tracks, I ended up in that noisy, dusty and very hot place that served as the hospital boiler room.

It was a large and chaotic place: kilometres after kilometres of pipes, cables and pressure valve mixed up with huge pressure tanks and peeping, blinking equipments. Anything that you didn’t need, when you were in my condition. It was almost as if they were there taunting me, as I tried to find my way through the maze with only a quarter of brain left.

Can you believe that?

I looked at her hanging her head low, a smoke rising high from the hand that was supported by the elbow leaning against the table and said, “I can imagine the place, but I don’t understand is that why did you find it so confusing?”
[FONT=&quot]
Jane sifted backwards and with a smoke hanging from her lip, she started by saying, “Because to zombies that place is interesting. It’s full of noises, lights, moving shadows anything to keep them occupied. And believe me, sometimes they get stuck…”
[/FONT]

Hi CTG; didn't manage to get my post up last time. So, here goes.

It was my duty. Nobody else.I think it should be else's or it seems like you've change tenses, I think. I had to get out from this mess, and I couldn’t count that the Authorities were going to offer me any sort of vaccination, I found this hard to read is it that "I couldn't count on the A's to offer me any sort of vaccination"?but quite opposite as they certainly would try to put me down. So as soon as I realised that, I didthis sentence seems quite overcomplicated; "as soon as I realised that, I headed towards the door?" head towards the door, but I didn’t get too far before I understood that my current state of mind wasn’t going to last forever. At least, not for a long enough to give a fighting change to the old virus of mine.this last sentence has completely lost me, sorry; if you stay with the current I think you need to add time after enough; also should it be change or chance?

So I rushed back in and grabbed as many bags as I could before I turned around and went out the same way I had come back inrepeats back in, could it be left off, I don't think you lose anything by it. AtIn? the corridor, I watched how some dead were moving towards the fighting, whilea few others were finishing their first meal. And I knew I couldn’t be following their doingsdoings? Not sure that's the right words.. I couldn’t go out through the front or even the backdoorback door, but had?to use the old escape plan I had scouted along time ago.

What it was, I couldn’t remember exactly. And the only thing I could remember was that it was somewhere in a hot, noisy and dusty place. But I was in the middle of the hospital, where such a places were as uncommon as the dead that were now walking in its corridors. I think i'm led a bit too much here. I also have a problem with sentences within prose starting with and, this seems to be a personal hang up, though.

Think, I said to myself. did he say it to himself: If so, "Think", or maybe something like I urged myself to think?

It didn’t work. Not straight away anywayi think anyway and away are too close in sound. However, what worked was my instinct that said to hide in the darkest, farthest corner possible. I head headed otherwise you're changing tensedown the corridor, away from the noises, from the dead, butthe further I went,maybe no comma, replace with the more evidence I saw from the walkers. It was almostdo you need the almost? it sounds that that's exactly what they were doing. as if they mindlessly, almost chaotically were searching the hospital for anything that was living. They didn’t spear closets, half lit corridors, unused storage rooms, anything.so it's not mindless or chaotic, it's actually quite organised; they know where they're targeting. But in a wayagain, in a way? It sounds like he did., by following their tracks, I ended up in that noisy, dusty and very hot place that served as the hospital boiler room.seems convenient.
It was a large and chaotic place: kilometres after kilometres of pipes, cables and pressure valves mixed up with huge pressure tanks and peeping, blinking equipmentspieces of equipment?. Anythingnothing that I needed in my condition? that you didn’t need, when you were in my condition. It was almost as if they were there taunting me,no comma or else a comma in front of taunting, too. as I tried to find my way through the maze with only a quarter of brain left. so, this is the first this has been mentioned; he seems to be thinking pretty well for one so afflicted.

Can you believe that?

I looked at her hanging her head lowwas her head hanging low or was she hanging it low herself, a i don't think you can have a smokesmoke rising high from the hand that was supported by the elbow leaning against the table and said, “I can imagine the place, but I don’t understand is that why did you find it so confusing?”

Jane shifted backwards and with a smoke hanging from her lip, new sentence or something to link it.she started by saying, “Because to zombies that place is interesting. It’s full of noises, lights, moving shadows anything to keep them occupied. And believe me, sometimes they get stuck…”

I find your sentence construction hard difficult. So for this paragraph i would have done something like;

I looked at her, her head hanging low, smoke rising from her hand, supported by her elbow which leaned against the table (I find the whole support of the elbow and table bit too much detail.). "I can imagine the place," I said, "but what I don't understand is why did you find it so confusing?"
Jane shifted backwards, smoke hanging from her lip( or a cig if that's what you mean, or a smoke ditto) and she started by saying, "Because... as you have it."

In general, I found it hard to follow, not the story but the sentence construction. It came across as overly complicated and with some missing words, changes of tense. Sorry.

No worries spring. I'm not worried and you didn't answer the question. I will clean it up later on. Thank you for the edits. And seriously, don't worry.

I deliberately did not read the other posts, if I hit on the same thing, Im sorry. I am also going to make an assumption that this is first person since it is her perspective so.... here we go!

It was my duty. Nobody else(S). I had to get out from this mess,(.) (and remove) I couldn’t count that the Authorities were going to offer (me remove) any sort of vaccination,(.) (but remove) (Q)uite opposite (as remove) (T)hey certainly would try to put me down. So as soon as I realised that, I did head towards the door, (I would change this, maybe (As soon as I realised, I headed toward the door)

(but) I didn’t get too far before I understood(,) (that -remove) my current state of mind wasn’t going to last forever. At least, not for a long enough to give a fighting change to the old virus of mine.( How about- At least not long enough to give a fighting chance to my old virus)

So I rushed back in and grabbed ( maybe, Rushing back in I grabbed...)as many bags as I could before I turned around and went out the same way I had come back in.(Actually I would change if you are in first to something like, Rushing back in I grabbed as many bags as I could. Turning around I went out the same way I had come in.)

At the corridor, I watched (how-remove) some dead (were-remove) moving towards the fighting,(.) (while-remove) (A) few others were finishing their first meal. (And-remove) I knew I couldn’t be following their doings. I couldn’t go out through the front or even the backdoor, (but to use the-maybe Instead I used a old escape plan I had scouted long time ago.

What it was, I couldn’t remember exactly. And the only thing I could (remember-remove) was that it was somewhere in a hot, noisy and dusty place. But I (was-change to I am) in the middle of the hospital, where such a places were as uncommon as the dead that were now walking in its corridors.I think you missed a word here read this upper line back to yourself out loud.

Think, I said to myself.

It didn’t work. Not straight away anyway. However, what worked was my instinct that said (to-remove) hide in the darkest, farthest corner possible. I head down the corridor, away from the noises, from the dead, but further I went, more evidence I saw from the walkers. It was almost as if they mindlessly, almost chaotically were searching the hospital for anything (that was-remove) living. They didn’t spear closets, half lit corridors, unused storage rooms, anything. But in a way, by following their tracks, I ended up in that noisy, dusty and very hot place that served as the hospital boiler room.

It was a large and chaotic place: kilometres after kilometres of pipes, cables and pressure valve mixed up with huge pressure tanks and peeping, blinking equipments. Anything that you didn’t need, when you were in my condition. It was almost as if they were there taunting me, as I tried to find my way through the maze with only a quarter of brain left.

Can you believe that?

I looked at her hanging(,) (her-remove) head low, (a-remove) smoke rising high from the hand that was supported by the elbow leaning against the table and said, “I can imagine the place, but I don’t understand is that why (did-remove) you find(you found) it so confusing?”
[FONT=&quot]
Jane sifted backwards and with a smoke hanging from her lip, she started by saying, “Because to zombies that place is interesting. It’s full of noises, lights, moving shadows anything to keep them occupied. And believe me, sometimes they get stuck…”
[/FONT]

I didn't find it a wall of text, and it kept me interested, wondering where it was going.

Good, that was my aim, just the execution wasn't the best. I find Jane's body language at the beginning of the Herbert's PoV overly complicated. Don't know really what to do about it, but I keep thinking another solution as the dialogue is a bit more important at the moment to carry the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.