Catherine Asaro - Another Undrerrated Writer?

Jade44

Information on authors I have not yet read.
I noted a thread commenting on the fact that one of the most published SF authors, David Weber, did not have his own subforum. The same seems to be true of Miss Asaro whose brilliant saga of the Skolian Empire has gotten her one Nebula Award so far as well as a couple of other nominations.

Her vision of the future - once accepted - certainly contains a very high element of possible reality, especially in the areas of nanotechnology and bioengineering. So far her output does not match Weber's, but the 11 books she has written so far rate very good to brilliant so far as I am concerned.

I was also struck by her vision of future space combat, especially as it is conducted quite differently from that of Mr. Weber.

Any other Asaro fans out there?

There are many, many great and classic authors who don't have their own sub-forum:

Bradbury
Sturgeon
Simak
Ballard

To name only a few.

Having a SF here doesn't really mean much except for how popular they are with the core group of users here, or, I think, if they're an author who also happens to post here.

With that said, I've ever read or heard of Asaro. But being one who is always open to try new authors, I'll give her a shot.

Where is the absolute best to start? I prefer to begin new authors with a single, stand alone novel.

Yup, you can count me as a fan. I've just edited a new 12,000 word Skiolian story by Catherine featuring Sauscony 'Soz' Valdoria -- the central protagonist in the novels Primary Inversion and The Radiant Seas. The story will feature in The Mammoth Book of SF Wars due out next year.

As for Catherine having her own subforum, the rule is simple: if there are five or more ongoing threads about an author which are active and feature contributions from a number of members, we'll look at opening a new subforum for that author.

D Davis, start with Primary Inversion, it's a fabulous book. Not exactly stand-alone, as it's part of the Skolian Saga, but then the vast majority of Catherine's work is.

D Davis, start with Primary Inversion, it's a fabulous book. Not exactly stand-alone, as it's part of the Skolian Saga, but then the vast majority of Catherine's work is.

Cool, thanks. I'll check it out.

I agree with Mr. Whates. Primary Inversion is the best place to start as it introduces you to what I consider the most interesting character. Once the series gets started it bounces around a bit in terms of time with a few prequels thrown in, but reading the books in order of publication is not a problem. The only book I had a hard time getting into was Diamond Star, which seemed to lack the action featured in the other books.