Kim Harrison

rune

rune
I think she is a horror author, though I've not heard that much about her work. So thought i would post here and see if anyone else had read her books.

Are they are combination of horror and fantasy? And are there any views of her books :)

Just did a quick search and the titles of her book are so yucky they'd give Robert Bloch and his penchant for corny metaphors a complex.

This is the problem, they come over rather unprofessional :(

I got my hands on her first book and so far been quite surprised. It's better than I thought it would be :D

Dont let the titles fool you...and alot of new authors have no real pull when it comes to the titles, the publishers edit them and put covers on that are supposed to be "more marketable"...
Anyways I really like Harrison. Currently reading the 3rd book, and I like her style. Similar stuff as Laurell Hamilton but quicker paced, and less sex. More contemporary feel to it. Check it out instead of judging by the cover ;)

Shyknight said:
Dont let the titles fool you...and alot of new authors have no real pull when it comes to the titles, the publishers edit them and put covers on that are supposed to be "more marketable"...
Anyways I really like Harrison. Currently reading the 3rd book, and I like her style. Similar stuff as Laurell Hamilton but quicker paced, and less sex. More contemporary feel to it. Check it out instead of judging by the cover ;)

That sounds good that the books continue in this vain, as I really liked the feel of the first book :D

I rather liked the titles, as well as all the books. What are they called in the U.K. In the U.S., they are called Dead Witch Walker, The Good, the Bad and the Undead. Can't remember the third one offhand.

I enjoyed the 2nd book in this series, better than the first. And just got my hands on the third book - Every which way but dead :D

There's a fourth book coming out the end of June, A Fistful of Charms. She also has a story in the anthology Dates from Hell. Sound interesting. I've ordered the last.

I enjoy Harrison's novels. Yes, even the dorky titles. I don't really think of her books as horror, though. But maybe that's just because I don't like horror, yet I like her books. Or maybe it's because I don't have a firm definition of "horror."

I agree with Shyknight: Harrison's books are more quickly paced and less sex-ridden than Laurell Hamilton's. To me, Harrison's take on life seems happier, less twisted, on the whole much healthier than Hamilton's, and her characters seem more likeable, more believable.

I've had tons of folks suggest Kim Harrison once they know I like Kelley Armstrong; her and Mary Janice Davidson.

I agree that these types of paranormal-action-romance are not horror. They really need their own genre heading.

I worked at a book store for a better part of a year and now I feel as though I have an intuitive sense as to how good a book can be by the cover, yet a co worker of mine reffered those books to be and I loved them. I think they are sassy and fun and I find personal pleasure because I love tomatoes and put Ketchup on everything. I read all three last year and I cant wait till to read the next installment, in fact Ill probably get it today :)

Ive read 3 books from this series, now and thoroughly enjoying these books :D they are really good, entertaining reads :D

The most recent one, A Fistful of Charms, seems to be moving the series into darker, more complexly sexual territory. Interesting . . .

Brown Rat said:
The most recent one, A Fistful of Charms, seems to be moving the series into darker, more complexly sexual territory. Interesting . . .

Agreed. I like the way Fistful of Charms has taken it. There was a danger of this series stagnating, but clearly this won't be the case.

Incidentally, there seems to be a whole new genre of books floating between the horror, romance and scifi bookshelves. Although nobody seems to be able to come up with a name for them, they really need their own space. They all have alternate reality modern time settings; a supernatural bent, including a hero/heroine with supernatural powers; a good bit of mystery; sometimes sex (sometimes LOTS of sex in the case of Hamilton's later books, or virtually none in the case of Butcher's); very graphic violence, and a decent amount of humour.

SFAM said:
(snip)

Incidentally, there seems to be a whole new genre of books floating between the horror, romance and scifi bookshelves. Although nobody seems to be able to come up with a name for them, they really need their own space. They all have alternate reality modern time settings; a supernatural bent, including a hero/heroine with supernatural powers; a good bit of mystery; sometimes sex (sometimes LOTS of sex in the case of Hamilton's later books, or virtually none in the case of Butcher's); very graphic violence, and a decent amount of humour.

Some of the books that would fit into this genre are Laura Resnick's Disappearing Nightly (a fun read), C. E. Murphy's (no relation) Shaman's Crossing, and Kelley Armstrong's werewolf/witch series. Almost forgot Patricia Briggs Moon Called.

Hi, I'm new.

I'm registered on her yahoo chat forum! the "hollows"
apparently she now has a contract for another five books, not including the one currently being written. that means there will be at least ten books in the series.