The Jack Vance thread

The Demon Princes quintet is a must-read!

Which is your fav Demon Princes book ? The Killing Machine is wonderful character study,adventure,action,world building etc

Other than that i think its too much Dumas and not enough Vance at times. What can i say im spoiled by his other, more his own works :p

Dont tell me you only read the first book DE and not Cugel, Rhialto books. No wonder you dont talk highly of Dying Earth series ;)

Agreed - I liked the first book. The Eyes of the Overworld is my favourite of the Cugel books. I have Rhialto but haven't read it yet!
:)

You havent even finished Dying Earth ?

Dont tell me you only read the first book DE and not Cugel, Rhialto books. No wonder you dont talk highly of Dying Earth series ;)
I picked up and read the first Dying earth book a while ago but I've never come across the others. I will make a concerted effort to track them down though...or perhaps I will just buy the omnibus if it works out cheaper.

Which is your fav Demon Princes book ? The Killing Machine is wonderful character study,adventure,action,world building etc

The Face (4th) is my fave, after that I really like the first and last ones. I didn't much care for the third one, and Killing Machine (2) is pretty good. But he got it so right for The Face...

I read the news Jack Vance celebrated his 95th birthday on the 28th. I think this is a good occasion to finally read something by him. I'm going to try The Dying Earth series.

I picked up and read the first Dying earth book a while ago but I've never come across the others. I will make a concerted effort to track them down though...or perhaps I will just buy the omnibus if it works out cheaper.
To my knowledge the Masterwork edn. Tales Of The Dying Earth contains the complete series. It is well worth the purchase which in and of itself is very affordable. I also have the tribute anthology Songs Of A Dying Earth. I've only dipped into this so far but it's an excellent anthology with a stellar list of contributors. A highlight of last year's WorldCon for me was a panel discussion with George RR Martin and other SFF authors about their personal recollections of Jack Vance and the legacy he has undoubtedly left to the Genre. All present were of the opinion that any aspiring SFF writer should read Jack's work if they wanted to learn how to write fiction...period. Such is the respect and obvious affection Vance holds within the SFF community and certainly someone deserving of the title SFWA Grandmaster.

Hmmm...right now, I can get the Dying Earth omnibus from Amazon for £8.93. Alternatively, (at the time of posting) I can get the last three books of the series from Abe books for £8.79.

Not much in it really...

Hmmm...right now, I can get the Dying Earth omnibus from Amazon for £8.93. Alternatively, (at the time of posting) I can get the last three books of the series from Abe books for £8.79.

Not much in it really...

Since you were talking about Fantasy Masterworks i thought you had Tales of Dying Earth Omnibus. It dont cost more than regular paperback in that series so you would save alot of effort than buying second hand books versions book by book.

Isnt new book omnibus is easier to read than abebooks you dont know the quality of, books marked, somewhat damaged ?

I have seen reading yellowed,damaged books is not as much fun as fresh looking books.

Whatever way you read the best books in the series, let us know what you think of the by far most popular character in Vance works.

Isnt new book omnibus is easier to read than abebooks you dont know the quality of, books marked, somewhat damaged ?
Well, perhaps. I tend to avoid omnibus editions if I can because I don't like hefting large omnibus books around with me. Ideally, I like to be able to slip a book easily into my coat pocket. :cool: Something I don't think I'll be able to do with the FM Masterworks edition!

Well, perhaps. I tend to avoid omnibus editions if I can because I don't like hefting large omnibus books around with me. Ideally, I like to be able to slip a book easily into my coat pocket. :cool: Something I don't think I'll be able to do with the FM Masterworks edition!

I dont buy omnibus, i dislike them because they are often too big like a heavy hardcover. But in Vance case i enjoyed reading quality paper of a book of his whenever i wanted. No i must buy next book in the series now. Same with Chronicles of Amber by Zelazny. Few authors with great series i buy omnibus with.

Most Vance books i have are omnibus. Demon Princes series,PoA by Tor. Since his books except Lyonesse are pretty short in the range of 160-200 pages an omnibus is a nice way of reading a whole series back to back if you are fan ;)

I haven't been an active reader of sci fi for many years, but the mention of Jack Vance got my attention and the titles the Many Worlds of Magnus... and To Live Forever popped out at me. And the covers posted here rang bells in my head. In preparation of some attic remodeling I boxed up all my books and also started culling them, but remember the Jack Vance books were kept. Can't remember exactly what I boxed up now. What I left out in our small den area are the 70 copies of various Philip K. Dick books I have (including a first edition of Man in the High Castle, but, unfortunately, with a very abused dust jacket). Many of the paperbacks go back to the early 1960s when they would arrive at the drug store of he small town where I was raised and was our only window on new books. Anyway, thanks for jogging my memory about Vance.

How many Vance you have left dask ? Novels i mean or are you jumping over many books to his last ?

Hey I've got Ports of Call and Lurulu but I've not read either of them yet. Thanks for the reminder.

Ports of Call and Lurulu should very much be read together. They are, in effect, one novel split in two.

I read the first when it came out and was frustrated by the abrupt ending. At the time, I feared this would prove to be Vance's last novel, and was sad that such an incomplete, under-developed book might be his final word. So I was delighted when Lurulu came out. Especially as it proved such a wonderful, typical slice of Vance, which fully rounded off everything that had developed in Ports of Call.

I know some fans found the pair a little lightweight, but I love them, and reckon they provide a fitting swan-song to the works of one of my favourite writers.

Well, "Emphyrio" I am currently reading and have nearly finished. "The Eyes of the Overworld" just turned up in the post so that will probably be my next read.

Like I said, I will finish of the Dying Earth series and then see what else Vance has to offer. The "Planet of Adventure" and "Demon Princes" series both look good and I also wouldn't mind trying one of his collections.

You have read Dragon Masters but not The Last Castle, Miracle Workers ?

Jack Vance Treasury, Green Magic, Wild Thyme has his best short,novella stories.

What do you think of Emphyrio compared the SF of his you have read like Blue World ?