The point of Quidditch

Cayal

The Immortal Prince
While I thought the idea of it was creative, it is ultimately flawed in that there is really no point in scoring points seeing as it is probably useless 99% of the time due to catching the snitch being worth a ridiculous amount of points that would see your team beat the other.

Yeah! The snitch is worth way too many points. It should be like 50.

Also, there should be various power-ups around the ground, like pumpkin juice allows you to spit fire...or pumpkin seeds! That explode.

Yes, in real-life Quidditch (no, really!), they've dropped the Snitch score from 150 to 30 points...

The game didn't have time limits so could theoretically go on for hours. In those circumstances with a superior team you could have capturing the snitch ending the game and having no overall bearing. That is more of a flaw than the value of the snitch. Its value is relative to the time played. Krum captured it to seal a narrow loss rather than allowing a sizable defeat. That it can end the game makes it powerful for either side. I'm sure any Derby fans will tell you that after last night's game vs Forest ;-)

I see it's the equivalent of most US sports already, Pyan, a World Championship contested by teams exclusively from the US.:rolleyes:

Remember, the capture of the snitch ends the game, in the books, we were lucky to experience only short games, but if played over days or weeks, the snitch's high value may well be in proportion.

Possible Spoilers!

I believe the purpose of quidditch is to be a literary device to help young readers to identify the primary characteristics of the four Hogwarts houses, to show Harry as a sports hero, and to allow Harry interests to mature beyond.

Quidditch shows all Gryffindor students as intrisically good and courageous, all Slytherins as willing to cheat to win, all Hufflepuffs as honorable and solid, and all Ravenclaws as quick thinkers. For the other houses these qualities are embodied in just a few students... Cedric, Cho, Flint, and Malfoy. While the Gryffindor qualities get fleshed out in every member of their team over the years... including Charlie Weasly and James Potter.

Related to this is how the differences in House Cup points always seem to be exactly one, two, or three hundred points.... i.e. the difference in a quidditch match. It's a convenient device Rowling uses for young readers. And it works... my little niece and nephews think it's great. Two hundred points seems insurmountable to them... while five goals and a snitch seems too easy. It's a lot more fun for kids to think two hundred points!

There is a strong identification (I believe in all cultures) with sports heroes. They conjure up thoughts of leadeship, strength, daring, skill, and good fortune.

I also think that quidditch gives Harry a solid starting point from which he can grow and mature. In his first three years, aside from staying alive, nothing is more important to Harry than quidditch. But in the later years, even when Harry is captain, he is more focused on Voldemort, the Order, the Prophecy, and the rest of his future. In the Deathly Hallows, Harry fondly wishes he could be at Hogwarts playing quidditch... but this is shown to be childish thinking. Harry has had to grow up and become a man. He still likes quidditch, but grown up concerns come first for him.

I believe the purpose of quidditch is to be a literary device to help young readers to identify the primary characteristics of the four Hogwarts houses, to show Harry as a sports hero, and to allow Harry interests to mature beyond.

I think it also goes to expand the wizarding world, to show they have something akin to football as a sport they can follow / play. Broomsticks are as much a classic part of witchcraft lore as the black hat, so this was also a good reason for using broomsticks.

Yes, fleshing out the Wizarding culture is important.

I think Quidditch also adds a bit of actuality to the stories. Because wizards use magic they don't necessarily need to be in shape. However, the sport of Quidditch shows that there is an actual need to be in shape if you want to catch the quaffle, outrun a beater or catch the snitch.

I agree with Boaz, I think Quidditch was invented for the story to ground it in a possible reality just to make it look like these are ordinary people who happen to be wizards and witches but they kinda do similar stuff to us Muggle born non-wizarding folk. To me me the wizarding world is very similar to the real world except there are wizards who have jobs just like us. Lok at the Quidditch world cup, they are professional sports stars like our real life rugby and football players.

Having recently read the first HP book i thought when the captain of Gryffindor house described the game to Harry it sounded interesting, fun. But man the way Rowling described the actual games in the book was not nearly as exciting. Not a sports action writer exactly......

I really think that instead of the snitch being worth so many points, once caught it would signal the end of the game.

It would make it much more appealing (imo) as the Seekers may see it but cannot catch it due to their team being down.

I really think that instead of the snitch being worth so many points, once caught it would signal the end of the game.

It would make it much more appealing (imo) as the Seekers may see it but cannot catch it due to their team being down.

I'm new here, so I'm not positive about the "bumping" etiquette. Let me know if this is too big of a bump.

I agree with you, Cayal. I've actually thought a lot about the flaws of Quidditch. Your suggestion would make the duties of the Seeker more interesting, as well as keep the value of the three Chasers.

You know, if Rowling was like George Lucas, she'd have gone back and fixed the the problems with Quidditch. :p

I'm new here, so I'm not positive about the "bumping" etiquette. Let me know if this is too big of a bump.

I agree with you, Cayal. I've actually thought a lot about the flaws of Quidditch. Your suggestion would make the duties of the Seeker more interesting, as well as keep the value of the three Chasers.

You know, if Rowling was like George Lucas, she'd have gone back and fixed the the problems with Quidditch. :p

But then there'll be a prequel Harry Potter: Revenge of the Seeker, The Phantom Snitch, Attack of Bludgers

Mr. Aware Eagle, first, Welcome!

Second, I don't care if a thread is ten years old, if you have pertinent comments I say make 'em.

Third, I take it you're an Auburn fan. Would Cam Newton have fallen for Viktor Krum's Wronski Feint?

Mr. Aware Eagle, first, Welcome!

Second, I don't care if a thread is ten years old, if you have pertinent comments I say make 'em.

Third, I take it you're an Auburn fan. Would Cam Newton have fallen for Viktor Krum's Wronski Feint?

Haha, I'm an Auburn student, actually. Should be graduating this time next year! And thanks for the warm welcome.
And of course Cam Newton wouldn't have fallen for it. He'd just stare at Krum like he was a fool.
Though I think he might be a little big for Quidditch. He'd have to get a specially made broom.

Cam's almost the size of Hagrid. He's a monster.

Roll Tide, roll,
Roll Tide, roll.
'Round the bowl and down the hole,
Roll Tide, Roll.

War Eagle!

Too bad they did not have any chants like that in Quidditch.

Cam's almost the size of Hagrid. He's a monster.

Roll Tide, roll,
Roll Tide, roll.
'Round the bowl and down the hole,
Roll Tide, Roll.

War Eagle!

Too bad they did not have any chants like that in Quidditch.

Weasley is our King.