building a Lovecraft library

Thanks for your suggestion, Starbeast. I know there are a lot of graphic novels out there that visualize Lovecraft's prose. I suppose I should have a look at some of them. I used to collect comics when I was a kid but I put all that away around college-time. I tend to "see" a story in my mind's eye as I read it. Sometimes, not always, I go back over what I just read because my mind wants to break it down into camera setups. I have one of those weird visual minds. Looking at graphic novels in effect does my thinking for me and dulls my imagination and visual skills.

Richard

To avoid this getting into an unpleasant exchange when I don't think any such is necessary (or intended), I will risk putting forth how I read his statements (correct me if I'm wrong, Richard).

It isn't that such adaptations are, per se, wrong, bad, or deleterious; but that by the very nature of providing the visualization themselves, they eliminate the reader's exercise of those faculties in favor of a more passive response to a different type of material. As an example: when listening to a piece of "narrative" music, such as Saint-Saenz' "Danse Macabre", the listener forms their own visual reflections of the notes, tones, chords, and relationships of the piece, culled from the imaginative and combinative faculties in their own minds. On the other hand, no matter how great the quality, when listening to the same piece accompanied by images chosen or created by another person, that very process will interfere with, by blending with, altering, or simply replacing, those which the listener would have created on their own. It's like an interference pattern of waves canceling out or replacing a prior or only nascent set. Depending on how intensely an individual remembers such things, that effect can either modify or completely eradicate their own native images from that point on; but that it will have some effect (whether of improvement or degradation depending on the quality of the art concerned) is almost absolutely certain. In turn, this renders any future visualizations connected to that material suspect as entirely one's own.

Hence, while the effect may not be, in the strictest sense, deleterious, it nonetheless interferes with the creations of one's own naturally-occurring visualization.

What about Gollanzc's Necronomicon and Eldritch Tales? Is it the best choice?

What about Gollanzc's Necronomicon and Eldritch Tales? Is it the best choice?

To put it simply: No. Though they are lovely books, the texts are terribly corrupt, the most notable examples being "At the Mountains of Madness", which is riddled with errors (including two large chunks of text which are missing), and "The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath", where the names of various things are wrong, as well as some other stenographic errors. Ditto for The Case of Charles Dexter Ward; and there are numerous other examples.

If you're looking for something affordable, but which contains all of his original stories (except for a handful of rather early tales, such as "The Beast in the Cave", "The Alchemist", "The Street", "The Transition of Juan Romero", and "Poetry and the Gods", plus a tiny selection of fragments), I'd suggest the Penguin editions. Though there are errors here and there, they are still among the most reliable.

Other than that, the corrected Barnes & Noble (which should be out any time now) would be your best bet, as this collects together all his completed original fiction (including juvenilia), though it does not include the revisions/collaborations (save for the one done with Price, "Through the Gates of the Silver Key"). It also does not contain the fragments and such, save for a discarded draft of "The Shadow Over Innsmouth", as I recall.

My favorite editions are the three that S. T. edited for Penguin Classics. The Introductions and annotations are simply outstanding, wonderful to me in that they add to the story of Lovecraft writing his weird fiction. They are at the back of the book, so you needn't read the annotations if such is not your thing. I have heard that Penguin will be re-releasing at least the first volume, THE CALL OF CTHULHU AND OTHER WEIRD STORIES, featuring illustrations by some rad artist whose name now escapes me. Anyone know anything about this?

To put it simply: No. Though they are lovely books, the texts are terribly corrupt, the most notable examples being "At the Mountains of Madness", which is riddled with errors (including two large chunks of text which are missing), and "The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath", where the names of various things are wrong, as well as some other stenographic errors. Ditto for The Case of Charles Dexter Ward; and there are numerous other examples.

The funny thing is that the texts in these books correct SOME of the errors from the older, corrupt texts -- for example, "Inganok" is as it should be -- while retaining some -- such as "air out" for "an ant".

Other than that, the corrected Barnes & Noble (which should be out any time now) would be your best bet, as this collects together all his completed original fiction (including juvenilia), though it does not include the revisions/collaborations (save for the one done with Price, "Through the Gates of the Silver Key"). It also does not contain the fragments and such, save for a discarded draft of "The Shadow Over Innsmouth", as I recall.

The B&N book, has the fragments too, if you're thinking of "Azathoth", "The Descendant" and "The Book".

The funny thing is that the texts in these books correct SOME of the errors from the older, corrupt texts -- for example, "Inganok" is as it should be -- while retaining some -- such as "air out" for "an ant".

The B&N book, has the fragments too, if you're thinking of "Azathoth", "The Descendant" and "The Book".

Thanks. It's been a while since I looked at the earlier printing, so I was relying on memory here....

Back