Elizabeth Moon

I've read a couple of her books and she's pretty a solid Space Opera writer IMO. (I read the Planet Pirate Trilogy, all of the Serranno books, the and one of the Miles Vorkosian books.)

I've read a couple of her books and she's pretty a solid Space Opera writer IMO. (I read the Planet Pirate Trilogy, all of the Serranno books, the and one of the Miles Vorkosian books.)

Lois Bujold wrote the Miles Vorkosigan books.

I agree that Moon writes decent science fiction. Her best books are Speed of Dark and The Remnant Population, but I found the Vatta books very enjoyable as well as the Herris Serrano books (which include space ships and horses :D)

Agree! Elizabeth Moon is a solid writer. And I liked the Speed of Dark a lot. But it must be said that this is a very out of character book for her. She is always on my short list of authors who I always consider when they write something new.

I find her books consistently enjoyable light reads. As well as her SF books she has also written some Fantasy books, notably the Paksenarrion series which are also enjoyable. I am currently reading her Vatta series.

The whole series is well worth reading.

After you finish those read (or even better, read alternately) David Drake's "RCN series, starting with "With the Lightnings", Chris Bunch's "Last Legion" series, Tanya Huff's "Valor" series (starting with the omnibus "A Confederation of Valor") and Jack Campbell's "Lost Fleet" series.