The Mortal Instruments -- YA Urban Fantasy

Teresa Edgerton

Goblin Princess
Staff member
Supporter
This summer I read a great number of YA books. Generally, I read maybe four or five of these in the course of a year, and the rest of the year I read books meant for adult readers. But there is a boom in YA fantasy right now, and while a lot of it is franchise stuff written to order in practically no time at all (and it shows) this has also produced some very appealing work.

And the most appealing for me was The Mortal Instruments Trilogy by Cassandra Clare, City of Bones, City of Ashes, City of Glass. These books are very, very popular. I would imagine most of Clare's readers are girls, because even though most of the characters are teenage boys, and some scenes are written from their viewpoint, the main character is a girl and there is an element of romance running through.

This is contemporary urban fantasy, which is not the sort of book I usually read, about demonhunters in New York City. But the plot is exciting and full of unexpected twists, and the characters are engaging. It is one of those books that I was able to enjoy immensely as an adult, but as a teenage girl it probably would have rocked my world.

(I especially love the character of Simon, who is exactly like all the guys I used to meet at SFF conventions must have been when they were 17.)

No sooner had I finished reading the third book, then I learned she is writing three more in the series, and alternating them with a series of prequels set in the Victorian era. And the first one was released at the end of August.

Clockwork Angel has just about everything I enjoyed about the first trilogy, and it's vaguely Steampunkish. What more could I ask? As with the other series, I suspect that the characters will develop more as the series progresses, so while they aren't quite as engaging as Clary, Simon, Jace, and the rest are by the end of TMI, I believe that they will be.

Has anyone else here read these books?

Last edited:
I have and I'm quite a big fan. I used to read Cassandra Clare's Harry Potter fanfiction, and quite a few of her ideas and twists were transferred directly from her (hastily deleted) fanfiction so I wasn't quite as surprised as perhaps I should have been. The Clockwork Angel is entirely fresh material though, so that's making up for it.

Her writing really does have the wonderful power to make you feel 17 again, doesn't it? I had a full-blown obsessive agonising crush on Jace for the whole of the first trilogy, the sort of thing you only have when you're 17. Delicious.

If you like those, may I recommend Sarah Rees Brennan (if you haven't read her already)? Similar style but less heavy-handed and much more unexpected and unusual.

I've read Clockwork Angel and while I enjoyed it there was something that held me back from liking it too much and I haven't been able to put my finger on it. In fact, the other series you mention has been on my TBR list for a while and though I haven't deleted it I haven't really been excited enough about it to pick them up either. I wish I knew what it was - something off about either the story or the characters, I'd say. Usually this means that there is some, in my mind, illogical element to the plot but I must have noticed it subconsciously because I can't quite name it.

Sarah Rees Brennan is also on my TBR list.

In all honesty if you're not enjoying Clockwork Angel, then I'd bump Sarah Rees Brennan up the list a bit before you bother with the rest of the Cassandra Clares. In my opinion she's much better.

It's possible that whatever was bothering you, dwndrgn, would make perfect sense if you had read the other books ... or maybe not. There might just be something you didn't like.

Thing is, she wrote the two series with the intention that they would stand alone, though reading them both would enhance the experience. But I think it was inevitable that she would slip up somewhere in making them completely independent. Hard not to, it seems to me.

And the slip, if there was one, might have been something that you needed to know to perfectly understand what was happening.

I haven't read any of Cassandra Clare's books, are they worth a read? I've seen them around the bookshops but never actually picked one up

Well, I certainly think they are worth reading. The first book is good, and the series just gets better through books two and three.

I've pre-ordered the fourth book (actually the start of a new trilogy, but with the same characters) from amazon, and I'm supposed to get it the day it's released.

Which turns out to be even more convenient than I thought, because they've closed three book stores in my area since the first of the year, and I'd have to go quite some distance to get it.