What We're Watching.

I'm guessing that you're calling season 6A the second to last?

Yep, 6A. I watched it, but I didn't get it. Well, that's not entirely true. I understood the symbolism but I just found it quite boring.

Yep, 6A. I watched it, but I didn't get it. Well, that's not entirely true. I understood the symbolism but I just found it quite boring.
I agree (Sopranos SPOILERS)
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
I think that they essentially turned what could have been one episode that would have been interesting into half a season that was intensely boring. All of the coma episodes were at least.

The HBO movie about Temple Grandin is excellent. It just won multiple Emmy's. I am biased because I used to work with Autistic kids, but it is extremely well done. Some of the graphics reminded me of the intro to Rome.

I had a few lost years, when I moved and didn't have cable. Now I'm watching Star Trek the Next Gen. courtesy of Netflix. There are some irritating things about it and some great things about it, but the ideas are still interesting and even current. That's the good thing about SF!

Damages is pretty good also. Not much comic relief!

Only for those of you who really, really like art and painting--there is a good video on Paul Klee. The Silence of the Angels. It also is a reminder of how government censorship on art can have dreadful reprocussions, such as in the labelling of art as degenerate. Reminds you that it was the Nazi's who took it upon themselves to burn art. (but that could never happen these days)

Read the graphic Sworn Sword. The Hedge Knight II. I'm not sure Martin's work is at it's best this way--for me anyway. It was cool to see Egg and Dunk depicted--gosh Dunk is very attractive for a drawing, but I suppose I should have known from the reactions of other characters.:)

Just saw a very funny documentary with Harlan Ellison. ADD or what! Didn't know he was such a character. It's called Dreams with Sharp Teeth.

I've been watching The Event, which I think will end up being a very good series

For fans of The Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, looks as if it may have the potential to be as good, if not better.

For fans of The Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, looks as if it may have the potential to be as good, if not better.
I took a glimpse at the first 2 episodes and well you've got to love it just cause Buscemi is in it :D

I'll probably watch the other episodes when the whole season comes out in decent quality...somewhere on the internets :rolleyes:

I took a glimpse at the first 2 episodes and well you've got to love it just cause Buscemi is in it :D

I'll probably watch the other episodes when the whole season comes out in decent quality...somewhere on the internets :rolleyes:
It will be avilable on DVD , but probably months after the season ends. IMO, it's worth getting HBO for this alone, if available and affordable, not to mention GOT :)

Resurrecting this thread because I have to say it somewhere: I'm finally watching Deadwood and HOLY SHMOLY this might be the single best tv show I've ever seen!
Ian McShane is blowing me away with every episode. Really the whole cast is, amazing ensemble acting. The writing is top notch. The sets are perfect.

I read Under Heaven, by Guy Gavriel Kay and liked it a lot. It has some cool twists on a Chinese historical setting.

Thanks to the Imp for recommending "Wire in the Blood", the British TV series.

We enjoyed some other TV marathons over the last few months. We saw, Breaking Bad, True Blood, Madmen, Damages, and we liked them all for different reasons.

We are waiting not so patiently for the next GoT.

Will put Deadwood into the queue!:)

Resurrecting this thread because I have to say it somewhere: I'm finally watching Deadwood and HOLY SHMOLY this might be the single best tv show I've ever seen!
Ian McShane is blowing me away with every episode. Really the whole cast is, amazing ensemble acting. The writing is top notch. The sets are perfect.

Totally agree, thought this was simply an amazing show.

I'm not sure if i've sung the praises of Deadwood in this thread, if i haven't I'll echo what you guys have said and say it's just amazing. WHat a shame it only lasted 3 seasons.

I'm currently watching The Wire, which I'll rank right up there with any great show you can name. Just amazing stuff. Lasted 5 seasons, also HBO.

BTW, HBO GO is now widely available, and you can watch ANY episode of ANY show in ANY season, plus movies, specials etc. The cost is zero to subscribers.

I've heard The Wire is phenomenal. It's on my list.

Any word on Rome's quality?

My dear husband got me HBO and Showtime for my birthday. It is nicely timed to see this season of GoT. True love.

We're partly through the first season of Deadwood and liking it a lot. Thanks for the recommendation! It has an air of historical authenticity about the wild west. The hero, so far, is from Ontario, Canada, lol.

If you are shy about R rated language and adult themes, it would not be the right series for you!

On the other hand, I had been looking forward to reading "Death at Pemberley", which is a continuation of Pride and Prejudice, written by PD James. The Austenesque style is uncanny, but the murder, not so much.

My dear husband got me HBO and Showtime for my birthday. It is nicely timed to see this season of GoT. True love.

We're partly through the first season of Deadwood and liking it a lot. Thanks for the recommendation! It has an air of historical authenticity about the wild west. The hero, so far, is from Ontario, Canada, lol.

If you are shy about R rated language and adult themes, it would not be the right series for you!

On the other hand, I had been looking forward to reading "Death at Pemberley", which is a continuation of Pride and Prejudice, written by PD James. The Austenesque style is uncanny, but the murder, not so much.

Since you have Showtime, it behooves you to catch the first season of Homeland :) VERY good show. CLaire Danes won an Emmy for her role in it.

Deadwood gets better and better. One of the great things about the show is that the charcters are multi-dimensional, much in the same way that GRRM's characters are. When you're done with the third season I'll tell you who my favorite character is :)

You mean Al gets soft?! What's funny is how exasperated he gets when "the help" mess up--yet he expects it.

The nicest character is probably the doctor, so far. What's a little grave digging, anyway.

After three seasons, maybe we can find analogues to GRRM characters. Wild Bill Hickock is like Prince Rhaegar anyone?

Will see Homeland, thanks for the tip. Liike Clare Daines, especially in Temple Grandin. And I've known lots of ASD people from my previous work.

Al Swearengen is probably my all time favorite TV character. So many great characters on that show.

I've watched The Wire now, all of it, and it was fantastic TV. Going through a bit of withdrawal.

When will HBO do a Space Opera?!

Al Swearengen is probably my all time favorite TV character. So many great characters on that show.

I've watched The Wire now, all of it, and it was fantastic TV. Going through a bit of withdrawal.

When will HBO do a Space Opera?!

I wasn't going to say it, but Al is one of my all time favorites as well, but then again, there are so many great characters in that series.

Deadwood is teh awesomes!

I'm straight, but I'm pretty sure I fell in love with Timothy Olyphant while watching it.

His FX series Justified is an amazing piece of television too.