Discussing the Writing Challenges -- November and December 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Discussing the Writing Challenges -- April, May, & June

I would commiserate with Mouse, too, if I weren't so envious of the way she just produces these elegant little stories at the drop of a hat.

Thanks, that's just made me feel better. :eek:

Congrats to Seph too.

The tempter was supposed to be Death and the sin was suicide. She was about to be put to the question for heresy (although it could have been witchcraft). I decided she was as much afraid of what she might say under torture as of the torture itself. So dying was an escape from both her fears -- though it wasn't as easy or as painless as she thought.

Teresa, I missed this by a mile! I had the tempter as her jailer. Who kept offering her favors if she would only do a "favor" for him, with death looming she thinks, "What could it hurt? Maybe he will let me escape." Only to discover the jailer was a sadist and he kills her a day ahead of the legal execution. I had the sense that she was was truly innocent no matter what the charge might have been, but witchcraft hoovered in the background for me. Suicide never enters into my thinking at all. --- Probably proving that I deserve that "most dense" label that Mouse tries to put on herself, very unsuccessfully to my way of thinking.

Related: Christianity would view suicide a sin. Taking human life outside the sanction of the state always is. But some, by extension, believe that to commit suicide would destroy your chance of heaven. This is absolute bunk. Christianity believes that the salvation is by God's work and that human beings are always sinning. So if committing suicide eliminated your chances for heaven, so would driving recklessly in disregard for the law and your fellow humans; and thereby causing your own death.

Clearly, neither is true. Grace covers not only past sins, but current ones as well.

Okay, the new thread is up.

I had a lot of ideas. Too many, in fact.

But I chickened out of going for something more restrictive, or outlandish, or 'difficult', because we've had a great response thus far, and I don't want to be the one responsible for scaring people away with something too esoteric. :p

I decided to limit the stories to our 'native' genres, therefore.

I hope everyone can find some inspiration in the theme. It shouldn't be too difficult. Every good story is about transformation in one way or another, after all. There is plenty of scope for the imagination to run riot.

I wonder what clever and interesting slants on the idea members here will invent?

Hooray on the Challenge being up! And I like the theme. (So much, it was something I thought about choosing some month if I ever had the chance.)

As for my story, I saw her as innocent, too ... simply someone following her own faith. But if she recanted under torture, which she feared she would do, she believed that would be a sin, and if she killed herself she believed that would be a sin, so there was no way out. (I didn't think she would be damned, either, Parson. But I didn't think she would be rewarded for sinning, either.)

And I did want it to sound at first like he was her jailer. Or someone like Angelo in Measure for Measure.

I, too, was dense, since I didn't see the hidden word in "Dives" until pyan gave me the hint, or the amazing feat TDZ pulled off in the aptly named "Centrifugal Force," until I was told to look for something. I tried so many ways of finding the message in "Dives," but was always looking for the wrong words. It never even occurred that it might be the title of the theme. So, yes, dense.

This was actually a difficult theme to deal with this month. Either that or I am still not sufficiently alert, but I have posted my bit for it.

That's a very good story, Karn -- your best to date. Maybe struggling a little was good for the creative process.

Yay, I'm glad you like the theme, Teresa. :)

As for damnation -- Parson, I bow to your superior wisdom on matters of Christianity. Although I didn't think suicide was seen as a mortal sin in 'mainstream' Christianity in the modern era.

I'm interested in your thoughts on this, though -- are there not times, places and/or denominations in which this was or is considered to be the case? And if so, since it would seem categorically impossible for someone to be absolved for the act of suicide prior to their death, would this not result in their damnation?

I very much admired what TDZ did with Centrifugal Force, as well. That one I 'got'. I will admit, however, that despite much searching, it was only after I was tipped off that I was looking for the word 'escape' that I located it in Parson's Dives. And even then, it took me a couple of minutes to pinpoint it.

Karn, I really like your story this time, too.

I very much admired what TDZ did with Centrifugal Force, as well. That one I 'got'. I will admit, however, that despite much searching, it was only after I was tipped off that I was looking for the word 'escape' that I located it in Parson's Dives. And even then, it took me a couple of minutes to pinpoint it.

I was the opposite - I saw Parson's hidden word faily quickly, but like Teresa had to be told to look for something in TDZ's story. And then, of course, had to have yours explained to me...

I like the theme this month, but at this early juncture have zero ideas. Nil. None. Zilch. Unlike the past two months where inspiration struck almost immediately. Will have to meditate on it...

I have mine for this month ... at least I think I do. For a while my mind was a total blank, too. Not an inspiration in sight. Then in quick succession I had several ideas, played around with them for a while, and one of them turned into a story.

I like it, but the problem is, nobody here at the house understands it. So I think I'll sit with it a little longer before deciding whether to post it or not.

Meanwhile, I feel even less sorry for the Mouse than I did last night. She is too good. I think sooner or later we are going to have to give her a lifetime achievement award for these stories.

Thanks, guys! I was afraid I had come up with a totally incomprehensible entry, so it's good to hear that people "got it"--and great to hear that such excellent writers actually liked it! :)

Sephiroth, your poem is still following me around and poking at me all the time! I don't know much of Shelley or Keats, so I can't speak to any resemblance there, but to me it was very much Edgar Allan Poe, whom I love. I'm not sure if there is a specific piece that the rhythm reminds me of, but the rhyme scheme is very Raven.

"Prophet!" said I, "thing of evil! - prophet still, if bird or devil! -
Whether Tempter sent, or whether tempest tossed thee here ashore,
Desolate yet all undaunted, on this desert land enchanted-
On this home by Horror haunted- tell me truly, I implore-
Is there- is there balm in Gilead?- tell me- tell me, I implore!"
Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore."

Anesidora! By thy wiles,
thou hast bestowed on Man the trials
of Sickness, Death, and other Ills—wilt thou return and let Hope out?

Beautiful!

I wonder if after last month we'll see a rise in poetic entries and entries with hidden tidbits and meanings. Well, the hidden meanings tend to take care of themselves in seventy-five words, I guess...

I'm interested in your thoughts on this, though -- are there not times, places and/or denominations in which this was or is considered to be the case? And if so, since it would seem categorically impossible for someone to be absolved for the act of suicide prior to their death, would this not result in their damnation?

My knowledge of Christian history and denominational theology is FAR from encyclopedic, but at least as far as I can remember there is no denomination or time when suicide was considered an unpardonable sin. It's reputation as this has largely come from a logical deduction and a faulty understanding of Christian salvation.

The logical deduction was: "Suicide is a sin. You can't repent of a sin after you are dead, therefore to suicide is to condemn yourself to Hell.

The faulty understanding of grace was: "God only forgives the sin you enumerate to him." These faulty ideas are most often found in "lay" theology, but "pastors" have been far from immune.

Catholic theology is closer to this than Protestant theology, but in Catholic Theology the salvation of the soul is assured by baptism; what is in question is how much time must be spent balancing (as it were) the books in this life or in the life to come.

Protestant theology see God's grace as more elastic. We believe that God forgives our sins through the substitutionary atonement of Jesus. Therefore our accepting his salvation provides the solution not only for past sins, but also the present and future ones we might commit.

(I don't want to hijack this thread, if there is more interest we could create another thread or go to Personal messages.)

Protestant theolgy

Well, back on track with this thread, and to combine this month's entries....

In addition to my submission, Mouse has submitted hers already. I have to wait and see what others bring in, but, Mouse's is a very good one. Rather cheeky, actually. :D

As soon as I posted mine last night I was thinking "noooooo, what've you done, you idiot?!" I told myself this time (after I'd got over the 'not gonna bloody enter this time' grumpy phase) that I'd write a few, write third person, and try to write something clever and something with depth. And then I went and did that. :(

Still, at least I didn't go with the very first thing that entered my head when I saw the theme. Which was 'drag queen.' No idea how I would've made that fantasy or sci-fi!

Many congrats Seph, it does feel absurdly good, doesn't it? Enjoy it, you deserve it.

Of course, I seem to have burned out after one entry... The discipline of this challenge in itself is a reward, but it's great to even get a mention in such august company. And I'm certain that most members would swap with Mouse - her standard is incredible - tied for first place, and second in the 2 competitions so far!!!

I still want three votes...

ps: just looked at the first three entries - bl***y hell, the bar's been set really high already!!

Last edited:

Thanks, guys! I was afraid I had come up with a totally incomprehensible entry, so it's good to hear that people "got it"--and great to hear that such excellent writers actually liked it! :)

For me, it was one of the cleverest entries. I know I didn't mention it in my 'top five' -- I think because it is such an abstract piece, and in this competition, I tend to look for a stronger narrative thread -- but it was among my favourites. Reading it made me smile, and nod appreciatively.

Sephiroth, your poem is still following me around and poking at me all the time! I don't know much of Shelley or Keats, so I can't speak to any resemblance there, but to me it was very much Edgar Allan Poe, whom I love. I'm not sure if there is a specific piece that the rhythm reminds me of, but the rhyme scheme is very Raven.

Beautiful!
Thank you, sir. I'm far from an expert on Poe, but I have huge respect for the man and his place in literature, and it's another flattering comparison. I love The Raven.

I know what you mean about the rhyme scheme. In mine, the rhyme scheme is A, A, (A)B, when taking into account (in brackets) the internal rhyme of the last line of each tercet. This resonates with the first two lines of each stanza in The Raven, which are (A)A, B. Because Poe's first lines are octametric and my first two are tetrameter, they fit together, so the 'A' rhyme falls in the same place (the only difference being that his meter is trochaic, and mine is iambic). My final lines have the internal rhyme (A), while there is no internal rhyme in Poe's second lines, but both are in octameter and end on the B rhyme. So, it's very similar.

Of course, Poe's stanzas have a further four lines, the first of which introduces a C rhyme, as well. My stanzas are shorter and simpler. But Poe wasn't restricted to 75 words! :p

Many congrats Seph, it does feel absurdly good, doesn't it? Enjoy it, you deserve it.

Thanks. It does, indeed, and it's nice to join you in the club. And yes, I have no idea what to write for this new challenge, either. You'd think I'd have picked a theme for which I already had an idea.

But we still have three weeks to come up with something!

Pason, I am interested. Although I take your point about not hijacking the thread with theological discussion. There's quite enough to discuss in this thread already! :D

Ahem! Mouse,

It seems to me you have entirely the wrong kind of transformation in mind. (What would you expect a Parson to say anyway?)

And, once again, a contender. I can't get the idea out of my mind.

(Did you have Genesis 6:2 in mind?)

(Did you have Genesis 6:2 in mind?)

Um... (after Googling Genesis 6:2) I'm going to say yes. Yes I did. :)

(I did think of you, Parson, after I posted that story!! Was a bit worried.)

Status
Not open for further replies.