L.E. Modesitt Jnr.

MilesVorkosigan

The Little Admiral
Everytime I read Modesitt (whether fantasy or Scifi) I am struck by how he describes a society surviving, florishing , plundering, maintaining etc a in "new" world with different rules (Magic, nanotechology, philosophy) keeping the story believable as to how people would react in such a situation. He really brought it home to me on how much our society is really controlled by Power in one form or another. How one influences the other, and is maintained/balance/controlled by those seeking it. I mean if you think about it power is every really only gained by those working/striving/killing/cheating for it.

If you don't want it, would you go look for it ?

The characters he creates generally don't want it !, but get it due to the "universe" they are in (Nylan - Black mage, Whalen - Envoy, Anna - Sorceress) . What would you do if you suddenly had Power ? Use it for Good ? What do you consider good ? What is worth suffering for the good cause? All of this is packed into his many, many, many books !

The Recluse Saga ( 12 books)
The Ghost series (4 books)
The Spellsong Cycle (6 books)
The Timegod (3 books)
The Ecolitan matters (4 books)
The Corean Chronicles (6 books)
Individual Title books (10)

I recommend him to everyone :D

If its fantasy you crave I recommend you start with the Recluse saga, possibly his most successful series with good reason. I'd also recommend that you read them as they were published, not according to timeline. They can pretty much stand on there own individually, BUT i'd go with 1st publication to last :D

For Science fiction, I have to admit I am a bit biases about this one, *ADIAMANTE. The best one by far in my opinion ....not so humble opinion :p

If you like those you will no doubt love the rest :rolleyes:
I just love a Author that continuesly feeds by addiction ! ... the guy's a workholic !

* I could have an entire long discussion about just this one book ! LOVE IT !

Cool I may give it a go I have hit a block with reading though I have started 5 different book recently and put em all down. To answer your question, if I suddenyl had power I'd probably lose it quite fast ^^ It's just not what I want out of life.

The series has been around for quite a while

Almost as long as this 2005 thread!

I also enjoyed Adiamante and have sometimes wondered by Modesitt never gets discussed.

Im surprised eh hasn't be adapted tor big or small screen .:unsure::(

I have to confess that i've never read Modesitt Jnr.

Unintersting factoid. My best friend's sister's was married to Modesitt's son.

I have to confess that i've never read Modesitt Jnr.

Unintersting factoid. My best friend's sister's was married to Modesitt's son.

He's very good writer.

Last edited: