Best Anthologies of new SF&F?

Fried Egg

I was wondering what the best anthologies of new SF&F were out there?

These are the ones that I'm aware of:

Year's Best SF, Fantasty & Horror

Nebula Awards Showcase SF&F

The Solaris Book of New SF, Fantasy

Mammoth Book of Best New SF, Horror

Does anybody follow these series? Which is the best? Are there any others I should know about?

DOH!!...please refer to my recent post under Book Hauls BUT for me the best anthologies for SFF again were sadly until very recently Year's Best Fantasy and Horror AND the previous SF Hall OF Fame (pre-1965 and therefore Nebula) Vols I and II. Been following Nebula Showcase in recent years and pretty good I've found.

As per my other post...as more often than not relating to the past also check out..Amis's Golden Age Of SF Maps Of Hell, Moorcock's New Worlds, Asmiov's SF Magazine and DAW's Anniversary SF and Fantasy edns.

I saw those Space Opera anthologies and they did look good.

EDIT: OOPS....Maps Of Hell is of course not an antholgoy but rather a survey on the Genre. Sorry...

Last edited:
I would like to know what would be the best introduction to modern SF. There's so many to choose from, I just can't work out which is best...

FE, forgive me for blowing my own trumpet a little here, but as a lover of shoert stories, I established NewCon Press specifically to produce anthologies of original stories by the best of today's authors. What I've tried to do in each book is to pursuade a number of my own 'heroes' to write me stories as well as feature at least one talented newcomer, to present readers with a 'new voice' or two, worthy to stand beside those they already enjoy. To my surprise and delight, the books have picked up a number of awards and accoloades.

In 2008, I commissioned, compiled, edited and published three: Subterfuge Subterfuge: Amazon.co.uk: Neal Asher, Tony Ballantyne, Pat Cadigan, Gary Couzens, Jaine Fenn, Dave Hutchinson, Tanith Lee, Steve Longworth, Una McCormack, Ian Whates: Books
Strange Horizons Reviews: Subterfuge, edited by Ian Whates, reviewed by Tanya Brown

Celebration Celebration: 50 Years Of The British Science Fiction Association edited by Ian Whates
Science fiction: May 10 | Books | The Guardian

and Myth-Understandings:
The Fix | Myth-Understandings, edited by Ian Whates

I could be biased, but I'm rather proud of all three... :rolleyes:

If any of them appeal, let me know and I'll organise a special 'Chronicles member' discount (same goes for anyone else on the boards).

Whatever you end up buying, happy reading! :)

By all means blow your own trumpet. They all look very interesting but my choice isn't getting any easier!

Let me weigh up my options...(and my bank balance)

I would recommend Dozois' The Year's Best Science Fiction. Conveniently enough, this year's edition comes out this month, I believe, though I don't know if that's worldwide or just US. I haven't liked what Hartwell I've read and the Nebula volumes were always sort of slight (the Dozois is huge) and had a certain flavor and are probably less relevant these days, it seems. I'd recommend the Nebulas (at least the old ones) but only as supplements. And original anthologies can be superb but, again, would be secondary. For instance, I loved Dozois' Galactic Empires but you can read what will probably generally be considered the "best" one in the upcoming Year's Best.

Oh, and the Dozois includes a large (c.50 pp.) Summary on the current state of the genre in magazines, books, film, etc. So there's also that going for it.

So, like I say, if I was getting just one, it'd be that one.

I wonder which one focus on newer,less famous authors. For me if you the read an antho of SF its about finding new exciting authors you can like by seeing how good they are at short stories.

Dozois i have only 20 years best special, i have to see the content table of the last few years year's best.

Interesting about Ian's British ones, i feel like i have read too many americans lately in sf.

You might try whatever new sf mag is on the stands at any given time. I've never been all that happy with Best of the Year anthologies but when I read Analog regularly for a while it seemed every issue was great.

That's a very good point: Dozois and most anthologists' one major failing is the complete snubbery (that's snobbish snubbing, maybe - do not bring me a snubbery!) of Analog. So, yeah, the Dozois and a few Analogs would cover it. Asimov's and F&SF (and I'd hazard Interzone, though I don't know) are covered pretty well by the anthologies and you at least get the same general type of stuff in all of them. But Analog is not well represented.

I have Myth-Understandings, Subterfuge and a previous one of Ian's called dis-locations (think it was the previous year ? Ian will correct i'm sure if i'm wrong).
As a newcomer to the more science fiction side and short stories and hell really british talent as a whole (something that i fully intend to remedy as i am british! ) i can say that i enjoyed all the stories in Ian's books. As expected some stories work better for me than others but on the whole very enjoyable. Ian was most generous with his special 'chrons' discount and so i went whole hog and bought the signed limited editions wherever possible. They sit proudly on my shelf and make me praise them publically in places like this!!

What say you Ian ? Job accomplished i'm guessing ?! :)

The point of this?! Fried Egg- support a fellow chrons member and read some good stories by british authors!! Same for you to Conn :)

Thanks for the vote of confidence, AW.

Glad you enjoyed the books. :)

I've just bought Solaris book of new SF (volume 3) which I am quite excited about reading. Especially as it contains a story by our very own Ian Whates (whom I'm yet to read).

I'm definitely going to read several anthologies of new stuff this year and shall report back as I read them.

I had a look at that one fried Egg, so it will be interesting to read your thoughts on this volume.

After the sad demise of the best and most comprehensive Anthology you could buy for Fantasy and Horror in Year's Best Fantasy and Horror ed. Kelly Link & C.J. Grant, I'm now purchasing J. Strahan's anthologies for Best SF and Fantasy Of The Year VOL N. I've got this year's (covers 2008) VOL 3 and VOL4 comes out in March, released by Nightshade books. It was for me the best or more accurately most interesting anthology I could find after loosing the Link edited yearly anthologies.

You should look at the Nebula showcase series for some very good SF too.

Off topic:
I'm also planing on reviewing some of the World Lit anthologies I have this year.

Cheers...:)

These anthologies annoy me, i see Solaris and co they are full of older famous SF authors.

I want to try new authors i didnt already know was already rated authors.

Not after books with Baxter,Banks,Gene Wolfe,Shepard etc

These anthologies annoy me, i see Solaris and co they are full of older famous SF authors.

I want to try new authors i didnt already know was already rated authors.

Not after books with Baxter,Banks,Gene Wolfe,Shepard etc

Hmmm, i'd class Baxter and Banks as quite new authors to be honest,especially Banks. THe Solaris books also feature Al Reynolds, Neal Asher and Peter F Hamilton,very comtemporary!

Hmmm, i'd class Baxter and Banks as quite new authors to be honest,especially Banks. THe Solaris books also feature Al Reynolds, Neal Asher and Peter F Hamilton,very comtemporary!

Yeah but i'm after guys like Richard Morgan or newer. Post 2000.

Not authors who have been around 20 years like those british authors.

I have already read Asher,Reynolds,Banks. I want to give other authors of their generation a chance but also newer writers.

I want to read more new SF.