What Historical Fiction are you reading?

Usually I like to read about wars, that took place many many years ago.And especially I like to read about Middle age, about knight tournaments and so on!

Usually I like to read about wars, that took place many many years ago.And especially I like to read about Middle age, about knight tournaments and so on!

Read the 'Grail' series by Bernard Cornwell then. Easy to read , very enjoyable and doesn't mess with history TOO much.

You'd be better off starting with Sharpe's Rifles , as Eagle is the seconf in the series. The first novel , whilst not being half as good as the second imho , sets the characters relationships up with each other nicely.

I geuss thats reply is to me.

I will go with Rifles then since i dont have the choice of finding the first book.

I geuss thats reply is to me.

I will go with Rifles then since i dont have the choice of finding the first book.

Tiger is actually the first book chronologically while Rifles is 6th and Eagle 8th but it is not that important to read them in order as the were written all out of order and most of them are fairly self contained stories.

Tiger is actually the first book chronologically while Rifles is 6th and Eagle 8th but it is not that important to read them in order as the were written all out of order and most of them are fairly self contained stories.

True , the novels can for the most part be enjoyed as single entities, but reading out of the order they were written in can cause confusion , particularly with the characters of Simmerson and Hawkeswill. As for 'Rifles' , it was written specifically as an introduction to the Sharpe series by Cornwell and is - imho - the best place to start , rather than reading - as would seem more logical - chronologically.

Im looking for only a good first book that might make the series to my taste. If i like it i will read the rest of the series chronologically of course.

I did the same with Hornblower,C.S Forrester. My first book was Beat to Quarters written first but book 5 of 11. Then i read book 1-4 and recently book 6.

I recently picked up the Oxford book of Historical Fiction.

Looks like an interesting anthology. I've only skimmed through it so far.

The Troy trilogy by David Gemmel. I thought it was all right. The 3rd part (Fall of Kings) was finished off by his wife, Stella. I think David died before it was fully done.

Read Memnon, by Scott Ogden, before that.

I'm kind of dabbling in some writing too. HF, of course. Thinking of publishing it myself. Don't know if I can get someone to distribute it, though.

Any advice on this?

The Troy trilogy by David Gemmel. I thought it was all right. The 3rd part (Fall of Kings) was finished off by his wife, Stella. I think David died before it was fully done.

Read Memnon, by Scott Ogden, before that.

I enjoyed Troy quite a bit, but then i'm a big fan of gemmell's work. Sadly David did pass away before Fall fo Kings was released and his wife finished it off, although to what extent her input I don't know.

What did you think of Oden's Memnon? Have you tried his Men of Bronze, based in Eygypt?
Both good reads IMO.

Scott Oden is very promising i hope he keeps publishing books like that.

Plus i know him in REHforum, a big fan of Robert.E Howard.

All these historicals and no mention of Dorothy Dunnett. Her Lymond Chronicles (6 books) and House of Niccolo series (8 books) are brilliant. Also, for a writer who is historically accurate, Sharon Kay Penman is excellent.

Anyone know if there's the likelihood of another Shardlake mystery in the forseeable future?

Diana Gabaldon's next book is out on the 22nd of September!!!

@nj1 & Connavar:

I stumbled on some fantasy stuff by Gemmel. Can't recall its title now. Got it at home. N ya know, it seems he once worked as a bouncer in some London joint. No wonder, his fight scenes do have that raw feel of realism about them. Maybe he was just describing some of his own past brawls in them, LOL.

Yeah, I enjoyed Oden's Memnon too. I'll probably get around to his Men of Bronze some time. Ya gotta learn from guys like them, if yave got thoughts about writing yourself, dont ya?

Now I'm on Tyrant: Storm of Arrows, by supposedly up n coming Christian Cameron. He's got a slightly different style, this guy, I think. Tends towards a bit more detail on stuff like logistics. Him being an ex-navy dude, I suppose. Some esoteric mystery/magical stuff too.

But quite engaging, nevertheless.

Just re-read I, Claudius & Claudius the God (the latter whilst smugly reclining on a sunbed in Spain!). As historical fiction goes, they're pretty damned good!

Reading the new Diana Gabaldon book...I like it, but it's a lot more...risque...than the others. I think mum is going to read 100 pages into and try to stop me from reading the book (too late!)

Back