Discovered Authors 2009

Just read the Joe Abercrombie trilogy 'First law' A very good intro indeed.
Moving onto another new author (for me that is) Glen Cook Omnibus edition of The black company - books of the north. Looking forward to it
Then its either Patrick Rothfuss, Paul Kearney or Erikson. Not decided yet.

My new years resolution was to find 5 new authors to read, and while I have I havent actually read the books that I've brought yet (to read pile is 20 books high)..

Matthew Reilly
Clive Cussler
Jules Watson
Colleen McCullough
Christian Jacq

All were recommended to me by friends and families

I am trying to read a bunch of new authors this year...so far there have been a few

Scott Lynch
Joe Abercrombie
David Farland
Tad Williams
Janny Wurts
Jim Butcher

I am trying to read a bunch of new authors this year...so far there have been a few

Scott Lynch
Joe Abercrombie
David Farland
Tad Williams
Janny Wurts
Jim Butcher
Not a fan of Farland but all the others are top notch esp. Williams, Wurts, Lynch and Abercrombie.

Let us know how you fare please.

Not a fan of Farland but all the others are top notch esp. Williams, Wurts, Lynch and Abercrombie.

Let us know how you fare please.

I didn't mind Farlands "Runelords" first book but I dont think I will be rushing out to buy the rest of them.

I read Dragonbone Chair and was impressed. I will pick up the rest of the series for sure.

I am having a hard time finding any Janny Wurts in Canada. I know that she was just re-published in the States but not in Canada yet. I have only read the first two Empire books and am sitting on the Fugitive Price (I found at a second hand store)

Lynch is very original but I found the Lies of Locke Lamora at times was a little slow paced. I did really enjoy the style of the book. Alternating chapters and characters stories was a good touch.

I am in the midst of finishing Abercrombie's first book and I am blown away by it. I think it may be my favorite that I have picked up so far this year.

This is the year of me trying new authors..I have also pick up Winterbirth by Brian Ruckley and The Prince of nothing by R Scott Bakker. Looking forward to both of those.

So far this year i've had Brent Weeks- Good
Abercrombie - Excellent
Glen Cook - Good
Started James Barclay - Seems good as well, a bit early to say for sure
Then i need to check out Rothfuss, Lynch, Kearney, R Redik, Gemmell, Donaldson (i know these last two are not new authors per se, just to me :) )
Just to reply to comments about Farland i do quite like him ! ... Prepares for the backlash of derisive laughter .... come on guys it's not like i just said Goodkind is God :D lol on a serious note i found Farland's ideas quite refreshing even if sometimes his writing seems a little forced sometimes.
Am already a huge wurts fan so let me know how you find her Ratsy.

It's been a good year for new authors for me mostly due to infomation gleaned of the chrons so thanks to all who have guided me well ... so far :D

Gemmell,Paul Kearney are a must. If you want gritty heroic fantasy that dont care about 10 books series Gemmell,Kearney are for you.

Kearney is a great writer, he fills the space Gemmell left well even if they arent totally similar other than characters types,grim worlds,great action,battles.

Then authors I have discovered (and liked) so far this year:

Alan Moore..."Watchmen"
Thomas Ligotti..."Teatro Grottesco"
Kurt Vonnegut..."Sirens of Titan"
Orsen Scott Card..."Sand Magic" (short story)
Rhys Hughs..."The Old House Under the Snow" (short story)
Jonathan Lethem...""Using It and Losing It" (short story)
William Hope Hodgeson..."Eloi Eloi Lama Sabachthani" (short story) and currently reading "The House on the Borderland"
Melissa Mia Hall..."The Fence at the End of the World" (short story)
Christopher Priest..."I, Haruspex" (short story)
Ted Chiang..."Tower of Babylon" (short story)

I am having a hard time finding any Janny Wurts in Canada. I know that she was just re-published in the States but not in Canada yet. I have only read the first two Empire books and am sitting on the Fugitive Price (I found at a second hand store)

Ratsy: try going to Harper Collins Canada's website. They are responsible for distribution, and if you give your Favourite Local Bookstore the information, they should be able to get Curse of the Mistwraith, Ships of Merior and Warhost of Vastmark for you, which will get you up to the one you have. The other alternative is to order from the US. Amazon.ca is being a real pain on this one, whereas Amazon.com has all of these titles.

@Connavar
I haven't yet bought any Kearney but i will grab monarchies of god when i can.
I bought about 10 Gemmel books as a bunch on ebay but unfortunately there all mixed and in no order at all. Need to fill in a few gaps but then i can read quite a lot of his work :D Looking forward to it !

@Connavar
I haven't yet bought any Kearney but i will grab monarchies of god when i can.
I bought about 10 Gemmel books as a bunch on ebay but unfortunately there all mixed and in no order at all. Need to fill in a few gaps but then i can read quite a lot of his work :D Looking forward to it !

There are many stand alone books of his even in the series books. Check out fantasticfiction or ask us Gemmell fans.

About Kearney, Monarchies are more traditional high fantasy series in the story and not as good his later works. I didnt find it as mature,well written story,characters wise.

Sea Beggars are in print and his best works so far.

Scott Lynch
Joe Abercrombie
David Farland
Tad Williams
Janny Wurts
Jim Butcher

Orson Scott Card is added

Three more new names for me so far this year.
Samuel Delaney(Jewels of Aptor,not brilliant and somewhat fantasy like)
Joe Haldeman(Forever War,genius)
Jack Vance (Emphyrio. Enjoyable so far but its definitely more like fantasy than SF!)

Nearly finished Prince of Nothing trilogy by Scott Bakker. Very good if you can handle and like politics and admittedly some slightly obscure philosophies. I've liked them enough that i've bought The Judging Eye, the first of his follow on trilogy.
Then it's a choice of Rothfus, Lynch, Donaldson, Gemmel, Kearney !

Harry Harrison
Elizabeth Bear
Steven Pressfield

My last three reads.

Adrian Tchaikovsky. Interesting book, and I'm intrigued at the scope of the world that has been built by this fella. Looking forward to the rest of his stuff. Not on part with Rothfuss and Lynch, but I think if you like them, you'd probably want to have a look at his work.