Revival of a story.

Creator

Hi after doing lots of research I finally managed to find the courage to revive an 5 year old fic that has been put on the back burner for a couple of years.

Ok the premises of the story is very similar to Gattaca but I currently have only the prequel in mind as to the reason why eugenics was revived once more. But I just got a writing block as to find a new direction for such a overused clique

I do not know how to go about doing the fic or how to start? [again]

Can't you change a few things to make it new? Re-form the plot as it were. I may be misunderstanding you, but if you're basing it on something (history, another story, a commonly-used format etc), there's surely nothing wrong with deviating from the original. You could just use it as a starting point.
Am I missing the point?

But I do not wish to follow the old story that I used before as it was too much movie inspired. So I just need a new direction.

I wonder if I can post a summary of it here?

But I do not wish to follow the old story that I used before as it was too much movie inspired. So I just need a new direction.

If you're going off in a new direction, what do you need the old story for? In other words, what things do you like about it? Can you use them in a new story? Why all this worry about a story you do like?

Ok here's some stuff about this story... Sorry if I sound a bit like an idiot earlier. I just came up with a blank for rebooting a fic series... which I had a writer's block for 2 years.

Here's some details.
Ahem!

The premises is set in the 2100s, mankind just began to repopulate the world after a hundred years of a ravenous plague thanks to Eugenics. But I have portrayed this as a power that has corrupted the minds of humans.

in my original story, the story is set between two protagonists who will eventually duke it as members of the anti-eugenics and the pro-eugenics. The plot and characters happened to be influenced from Star Wars and X-men. So I now after 2 years of clearing my head of distractions. I decided to try to come up with something as "original" as possible. As much as I like Star Wars and x-men concept I have to scrape them for originality sake. I am going for a direction where it can be pretty real but also with hints of fantasy. I want my readers to think, "Oh my god! This might come true in the future!"

More as I think harder on this subject.... lemme grab my headache pills.

Last edited:
Eugenics is the self-direction of human evolution, which is an oxymoron. The first rule of evolution is that which survives, breeds. A more modern that on this would be genetic modifications (genemods). Given the rate of scientific progress, one hundred years from now you may see elves, dwarfs, and hobbits walking around on the streets. You may also see Vulcans, Klingons, and Wookies. They won't be costumes, but real creatures; humans who have had the genes modified so they are the real thing. Though I don't think things will have progress enough for centaurs, werewolves, and dragons, you never know.

Why don't you based you story on genemods gone ramped?

Eugenics is the self-direction of human evolution, which is an oxymoron. The first rule of evolution is that which survives, breeds. A more modern that on this would be genetic modifications (genemods). Given the rate of scientific progress, one hundred years from now you may see elves, dwarfs, and hobbits walking around on the streets. You may also see Vulcans, Klingons, and Wookies. They won't be costumes, but real creatures; humans who have had the genes modified so they are the real thing. Though I don't think things will have progress enough for centaurs, werewolves, and dragons, you never know.

Why don't you based you story on genemods gone ramped?

You read my mind? Goldhawk? Yeah my original is like what exactly you mentioned! I had some genotypes in fact one too many. I want my story to have two legs in reality so I thought that those mutant genotypes will not be external but internal.

Oh yes, one of the blocks I manage to break was the transition from our own reality to that of my story. The reason for Eugenics's revival in the 22nd Century was because the evolution of a currently known disease nearly caused the extinction of humankind.

Last edited:
You read my mind? Goldhawk? Yeah my original is like what exactly you mentioned! I had some genotypes in fact one too many. I want my story to have two legs in reality so I thought that those mutant genotypes will not be external but internal.

Which goes to show that all original story ideas have been done before. ;) The mutant genotypes will be both external and internal. The external ones will be obvious and people will still be judge by their appearance even though it can be changed. You could write the tragic story of a Vulcan child whose heart is Klingon. Just remember when the child is old enough, he can have his genes changed. Or the parents could have them changed so he is more Vulcan.

Oh yes, one of the blocks I manage to break was the transition from our own reality to that of my story. The reason for Eugenics's revival in the 22nd Century was because the evolution of a currently known disease sparked nearly caused the extinction of humankind.

Meaning human stupidity is not sufficient? Just because we can change our genes does mean we have the wisdom to make good choices. The first rule of evolution is that which survives, breeds. But first it has to survive. Just like eugenics before it, a lot of genemods will be made because the recipient will insist that is the absolute best choice, only to find out later that is the worst possible. Or rather, others will discover it is the worst possible for the recipient will too dead to learn anything.

Genemods are going to cause a crisis in many societies because they will force use to answer the question : What does it mean to be human? In other words, they are a good source of lots of story ideas. :)

Which goes to show that all original story ideas have been done before. ;) The mutant genotypes will be both external and internal. The external ones will be obvious and people will still be judge by their appearance even though it can be changed.

Meaning human stupidity is not sufficient? Just because we can change our genes does mean we have the wisdom to make good choices. The first rule of evolution is that which survives, breeds. But first it has to survive. Just like eugenics before it, a lot of genemods will be made because the recipient will insist that is the absolute best choice, only to find out later that is the worst possible. Or rather, others will discover it is the worst possible for the recipient will too dead to learn anything.

"What does it mean to be human?" You are touching on
transhumanism? Well... very interesting idea you have there goldhawk! thanks! But I will try to keep this within the realm of reality as possible.

Well the reason why the disease managed to kill off humanity 100 years before the main meat of the story was really human stupidity. Currently, that same disease's still killing millions of people alike "softly".

But if I say the people discriminated are just people like you and me? They have genes that so-called well undesirable in the future but still acceptable today? For example, I have genes that make me susceptible to high blood pressure and cholesterol. If I were to be put in my vision of the story, I might find myself at the bottom of society and no gal would marry me. How will this be possible?

I will think upon your ideas again.

Transhumanism just scratches the surface. If genmods cot $1,000,000, very few people could afford them. But what if they cost only $10? Today, you could be Barack Obama. Tomorrow, a dolphin. The day after, a tree. What if changing your genes was as easy as changing your shirt?

The problem I have with a disease that wipes out (most of) humanity is that if we know so much about genetics, why can't we stop it before it becomes a pandemic?

But just because we can deal with diseases doesn't mean genmods are without problems. What if a mad scientist develops a genemod that changes people into his willing slaves? What if the Chinese government does? Or the CIA? Or the Republican party? Or the Pastafarians?

As I said, lots of story ideas.

But if I say the people discriminated are just people like you and me? They have genes that so-called well undesirable in the future but still acceptable today? For example, I have genes that make me susceptible to high blood pressure and cholesterol. If I were to be put in my vision of the story, I might find myself at the bottom of society and no gal would marry me. How will this be possible?

Did you know the native North Americans in the southwest USA have high blood pressure and cholesterol? The cause is their genes and the modern diet. When they switch to a traditional diet, that is, one based on the plants that grow in their area, their problems disappear. Their genes are more efficient at extracting energy from that diet than the average human. They can survive in areas when the average human would starve. That's the problem with labelling genes good or bad. Bad genes may be life savers in the right circumstances. So where do we find the wisdom to justify our confidence that we will always make the best choice? Does such wisdom even exists?

The problem I have with a disease that wipes out (most of) humanity is that if we know so much about genetics, why can't we stop it before it becomes a pandemic?

But just because we can deal with diseases doesn't mean genmods are without problems. What if a mad scientist develops a genemod that changes people into his willing slaves? What if the Chinese government does? Or the CIA? Or the Republican party? Or the Pastafarians?

As I said, lots of story ideas.

The disease struck 100 years before the events of the story, somewhere in the late 21st century or so. At that time, eugenics was still a taboo in the scientific community like it is today. Even if there was eugenics involved today, they are very subtle and not incorporated into human's daily life. And becos the disease was able to spread beyond its natural barriers like condoms and abstinence, it killed off almost the entire human population.

The disease kinda laid waste to civilisation so there is no CIA, Chinese govt....etc. They no longer exist even after recovery of the human race. Sorta like a reset button.

Last edited:
I'm having trouble keeping up with some of the words used, but I like the ideas expressed. If you look at evolution per se, then I think it's fairly true to say that the area humans have developed in is the mind. Firstly, (as bipedal humanoids) we grunted and foraged for food every day. Notwithstanding a monolith appearing, and pushing us on our way to self-determination (ie killing each other), if evolution continues, then we will become even less physical and more mental, and ultimately just exist as energetic forces.... (the soul, I hear someone shout!).

So whatif this disease is only countered by those who are sufficiently mentally advanced to overcome it? Look into what the mind can do with hypnotism, and recognising that we (currently) only use 20% of our brain, and you realise the scope for advancement that the human brain has. At my first neurology lecture, the professor started with this statement: "If we had minds simple enough to understand, we'd be so simple, we couldn't"

In order to introduce conflict, whatif some part of your society has found a way to unlock the potential of the human mind so it cures the body of this disease? And then chooses whom to release it to? Naturally another group get wind of it, and capture a scientist, break into a lab, do jedi mind tricks, whatever, to get it? Maybe there's a moral scientist who says "this should be given to the world", and goes on the lam, they try to hunt him down? There could always be a downside to this increase in mental ability, and I'll leave you to think that one up.....if it's meant to be temporary, just to heal the physical ailment, but it's 5,000 times better than heroin, summat like that? I'm sure you'll have better ideas....good luck.:)

Oh hi, Boneman! Sorry for confusing you earlier.

Well I would like to thank you for your idea about evolution of the mind but I think when the evolved STD virus struck, it was sometime like 2009 or 2010. Technology nor organisms have yet to evolve to your forementioned level.

I think I would prefer to focus on the main meat of the story rather than that Pandemic Era before the story.

Basically there some aspects of human life after the Pandemic Era that were lost or recreated like attitudes and perhaps some traditions. I will post them when I find them. sorry my drafts got gnawed by silverfish.

No problem, Creator.... I was confused by this:

The premises is set in the 2100s, mankind just began to repopulate the world after a hundred years of a ravenous plague thanks to Eugenics. But I have portrayed this as a power that has corrupted the minds of humans.

I thought that was where your story was to start? Or am I even more off the track? Hopefully all this questioning of you has helped you get to grips with the way forward....?

I feel that Eugenics should be considered a power stolen from the gods. Becos all this time, the randomness of egg and sperm had been sorta like fate-driven? So I guess that now technology is able to replicate the same process, I am thinking portraying eugenics as a power that corrupt people's minds.

At the same time, certain so-called older traditions got revived in the 2100s. Like say arranged marriages. I am Chinese btw and I have been told stories of tragedy about this by my elders. I did some thinking and strip it to the bare basics; it's kinda eugenic in a way. Arranged marriage was a way to get relations and advantages. But in my perspective, it's like a human husbandry thing. They want to preserve the "genes" of their kind aka surname...etc. In my story, to hell with the surname, they want to preserve the good genes. So in a way the ancient arranged marriage thingy was a precursor of the 2100's eugenic marriage. Not to say, the freedom of love was non-existence, it's just temporary mostly. Since if say the partner had bad genes.etc, well that's the end for the relationship. Sex was still a taboo becos of the HIV pandemic.

Some things like certain styles of martial arts are lost, the current kung fu in streets are just imitations of old martial arts movies. They can't stand up against the fearsome Krav Maga of today. Krav Maga is now legendary as all the people who knew them died out long time ago. Chinese kung fu and other arts styles have disappeared too. But of course when the Rebelling faction rediscovered them.... guess the results!

Humans are evolving too, like say the humans of 2100s are much taller than their predecessors were. Anything below 174 is considered short. 175- 180cm is considered normal. 190-200cm is considered the supermodel standard, male or female. So I am sure guys who are as short as me[165cm] will not be able to find a single date in this era. So when the 185cm tall protagonist meets the cute 160cm love interest, well sparks fly!