December's Delights in Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
:( December's Delight's In Reading?

What is this reading thing?

I'm still on the book I picked up two months ago - even worse I'm loving it, I just haven't been able to find the time to read it!

Oh for the days when I could just read....

:( December's Delight's In Reading?

What is this reading thing?

I'm still on the book I picked up two months ago - even worse I'm loving it, I just haven't been able to find the time to read it!

Oh for the days when I could just read....

Man, do I hear you! It took me six weeks to read Paul Kearney's The Ten Thousand, and it should have been more like six days. Good book, btw.

Still sticking largely to shorter pieces, but managed to finish the reread of Merritt's The Moon Pool, and I think I enjoyed it more broken up into smaller bits this way, oddly enough. Am currently reading the Hippocampus edition of The Metal Monster, which restores (for the first time) the material Merritt cut out from the original magazine publication in the teens (over twenty percent of the novel)... and I think his cuts were a mistake. I've always had trouble with this particular Merritt, but this version is much more poetic, and the concepts and imagery absolutely breathtaking. The characters are definitely overshadowed by the theme and the phenomena, but in this case, I think that's all to the good, as it reinforces the alienness of the whole thing. Also, this version really does emphasize the weird aspects of this novel, both as eeriness and full of awe....

Read the thing a year ago,surprised you stil didnt get to it.

I've just read Twilight by Stephanie Meyer.
A very girly twist on the vampire thing but very well written and easy to read.
Quite a nice different concept on what is a vampire. Will have to see the film when it's released to see if it falls flat or succeeds!

Now reading Ian C. Esselmont's RETURN OF THE CRIMSON GAURD and i'm really enjoying it, very similar to Erriksons' style of writing.

Enjoy it Connavar - if you haven't read it before, I'm sure you'll find it a brilliant read and so much better than the movie. And even if you have, it's a book worthy of reading more than once.

So far i have barely anytime to read it. But after the first page i already felt the despair,loneliness of Neville. So far after only 30-40 pages its much more than the movie. Like a true smart SF book it explores why the thing happened.

Not like the movie where they barely show any scenes of exploring the virus and other questions.

Its really interesting how most of the story so far happens in his mind. How he thinks,he plans. Cant wait to see what happenes next. Also for a SF from the 50s its not dated much.

Now that I have time to read what I want to read again (ah, the joy of saying that) I think it's time to get back to Malazan tales. So it's Midnight Tides by Steven Erikson.

You know I do't know whether to leave the Planet of Adventure series until I get the Pnume. There's nothing worse than getting all that way and not being able to complete the saga!

Finished Charles Stross Halting State - liked about everything about this book, interesting buildup and characters, the flowing story line spread between three main characters. Altogether a nice vision what our future might hold, if the current trends continue.
Now reading Accelerando by the same author.

Yesterday I finished 'Gardens of the Moon'. I loved it and will continue in the Malazan series soon.

I'm reading 'On Stranger Tides' by Tim Powers and 'The Privilege of the Sword' by Ellen Kushner, both really enjoying! :)

Thanks guys, I've decided to go with Wolfe first - just because I'm curious about the language etc

As for Whyte. Standard of Honor was more like a history lesson than a fiction book. You weren't given enough time to grow attached to characters and the main character at any given time seemed randomly chosen. The dialogue was sparse compared to long ramblings on the history of this and that, and the dialogue that Was there were long winded lectures.
Then there also seemed to be inconsistencies in places. . . knowledge that Andre had found out earlier in the book, was suddenly a shock later on when it was explained to him again.
Important parts of the story seemed glossed over and rushed, while unimportant information received pages worth of attention.
Most disappointing was the rather convenient excuse for a character missing out on the major battle. When I went back and re-read that section, the reason given for his actions was transparent and lacked any sort of logic. . . Whyte just used it as a way to keep his character alive, when a author more willing to follow his character, would have let him die in the battle as he rightly should have.

Ok, so that rant went on a little longer than I thought it would, but yes, I was rather disappointed with the book. Though I Will attempt to read the final book in the trilogy because I hate investing time in books to not finish them. Hopefully the last book will be an improvement.

Wolfe is fantastic, but to really appreciate him you have to review what you read in hindsight, and probably reread the entire novel. He'll lull you into a chapter, drop you a major plot point, and then distract you with a different climax.

"A hit! A very palpable hit!"
*cue much spurting of blood*
:D

I'm this >< close to tossing The Lies of Locke Lamora aside and starting something else. I hate to do it - I hardly ever leave books unfinished - but ye gods is it dull. Dull, dull and dull.:(

No! Don't do it, Till. How far are you through it? If it's less than halfway, please continue. I know it's not a good sign that it should take so long for a book to get good, but boy, does it get good.

And yeah, that part is awesome.

I'm around 150 pages through, so not halfway yet - but at present I just can't bring myself to care about any of the characters, and Lynch's prose style just has me grinding my teeth as I'm reading. But I'll persevere. For now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back