Justina Robson

Pyan

Excelsior!
Staff member
Supporter
Just acquired Natural History by this author.

"Search ▼" turns up a few references to her, but mainly in the context of attendances at conventions, signings and similar events.

Anyone any comments on what her books are like?

Natural History is excellent. She changed tack somewhat with her Quantum Gravity series - it's sort of hard sf meets fantasy meets chick-lit. Sort of. Her earlier works were definitely hard sf, tho.

Natural History is excellent. She changed tack somewhat with her Quantum Gravity series - it's sort of hard sf meets fantasy meets chick-lit. Sort of. Her earlier works were definitely hard sf, tho.

I read a few chapters of the sereis she is working on now (Quantum Gravity, IIRC) and I was not at all impressed. You liked her earlier stuff, Ian? Is it action oriented?

Justina's a very talented lady. Living Next Door to the God of Love remains my favourite of her books I've read -- plenty of action, pocket universes, alternate reality, devious plots etc. A complex but very rewarding novel.

Justina was one of the first to agree to write a story for Myth-Understandings, the all women author anthology I published earlier this year. Then, due to mounting commitments (including the recent arrival of a baby) it looked as if she wouldn't be able to, but at the eleventh hour -- after the book had been initially laid out -- she came through with a great story, the ink still wet. A real star.

And I agree with Ian, Chris -- Natural History is well worth reading.

Justina is a fantastic writer. Whether she's being funny or serious (and she does both really well), she's amazing.

Yay, Freda, good to see you back here at the Chrons! And it was good to see you at NewCon 4 -- hope you and Mike enjoyed yourselves. :)

Well, Pyan, the mix of sf-fantasy seemed much better when I read about it - actually it turned out to be a lot of chic lit and much less sf-fantasy. Some interesting concepts and nice world building but it lacked somewhat in the part where you should do something interesting with the world :( Read the first book in Quantum Gravity - haven't bothered to get the second book.

There's a couple of reviews of Keeping It Real, the first book in her Quantum Gravity series in the Chrons reveiw section. It's a science- fantasy action adventure.
http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/33459-keeping-it-real-justina-robson.html

I've only read that book, and found it to be so-so. It was a promising start, with a great concept, but also had some major flaws in terms of character and plot. Having said that, if I see the sequel in the library, I'll probably check it out because if she's resolved the flaws of the first book, it'll be a cracking fun read.

I'm interested to read her previous work is more Hard S/F than action adventure. Is there a noticable change in style between the works?

I read all three of the Quantum Gravity series and loved them. Maybe it's because I'm a chick? Anyway, I found the characters very interesting and fun and I loved the concept.