E.F.Benson

Lobolover

A briliant writer,a most briliant writer.I wanted to ask if anyone here read any of his stories,in particular "Negotiam Perambulans","The man who went too far","The horror horn" or "The room in the tower"?

His best would be number 1 and 3,2 didnt get that just cause of a litle laging in the begining.

I've read both the first two collections, The Room in the Tower and Visible and Invisible, some years back, and scattered other stories over the years. I've yet to sit down and read his Collected Ghost Stories (though I have it on my shelf). Yes, I'd agree that, at his best, he was a brilliant writer; very powerful. His work is somewhat uneven, but most definitely worth a look for anyone interested in spectral literature or a well-told tale.... "The Face" is also one that is a particularly nasty piece of work, while "Mrs. Amworth" deserves more than a little notice. "Caterpillars", while flawed, is a grisly little piece as well....

Okay,noting it down,if you'd know any others,dont hesitate to tell.

I wonder-did Lovecraft ever coment on The room in the tower?

Not that particular story, that I recall. Certainly not in SHiL or in the Selected Letters....

Hmm.So,when reading "The man who went too far"-
whats your opinion ?

While I recall it being a bit slow in beginning (as far as the atmosphere was concerned), the writing carried that portion through; and I found the gradual buildup to be very well handled; the implications of the whole left a decided chill. I agree with Lovecraft's comments on this one....

Exactly.Though the descripiton of Pan seems more Satyrish (as oposed to the monumental portrayl in Machen) .And yeah,it was a bit laging at the begining. But god was it worth it :)

The Man Who Went Too Far, and The Face are my favourites by EFB. Also there was a very good version of The Face in the Fear on 4 radio series.